+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. AFC Wimbledon 25.11.23 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Yet we let in less than Wrexham and I think it was the 2nd best defence and contrast it across the leagues it wouldn’t be too shabby.
    The issue is we play out, play high and whilst it creates possession and chances when it goes wrong it looks absolutely awful and that’s what people remember.
    Facts are we have a budget, so if we got 2 top quality cbs in then maybe we miss out on a couple out of jones, Mcgoldrick and Crowley.
    Exactly this. Richard Montague stated the other day the owners will now invest additional funds into the squad due to the league position. Patience required!

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    To be fair it should have been addressed pre-season as a lot of us have been saying it’s been blindingly obvious it was our Achilles heel, as much as some people think ‘Recruitment’ is beyond question with the club , IMO it’s been very poor at times with the decisions being made.
    He did explain this the other night it isn’t as simple as that as there is a budget so maybe we couldn’t afford to do that.

We are missing 3 key players for the season and that takes a toll on resting players and keeping squad fresh that cannot be factored in as you just don’t expect that to happen.

My opinion is most players are good enough for league 2 as the table shows but some aren’t top end players but you can carry them if you have outstanding other players.

We just have to hang in there until Jan and see where we are hopefully still in the top 7.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Archie's a big lad, commands the box, agile and does sometimes save a pen.

I snatch your hand off.
    Me , what a mistake not getting him

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Archie Mair saved 2 out of 5.
    That's true!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Yet we let in less than Wrexham and I think it was the 2nd best defence and contrast it across the leagues it wouldn’t be too shabby.
    The issue is we play out, play high and whilst it creates possession and chances when it goes wrong it looks absolutely awful and that’s what people remember.
    Facts are we have a budget, so if we got 2 top quality cbs in then maybe we miss out on a couple out of jones, Mcgoldrick and Crowley.
    It’s the individual mistakes that stick out more than anything not the system, I’m not sure an unknown / unproven Centre back from the Irish league is the answer.

Did anyone else notice that we scored from a corner into the box?

It’s the individual mistakes that stick out more than anything not the system, I’m not sure an unknown / unproven Centre back from the Irish league is the answer.

He won't be coming here anyway Kels. That ship has sailed and he's moving on to bigger and better things.

Stocport aside, nobody on the fixture list is currently higher than 11th for the next ten games. Late January into mid-March looks the toughest part of the season to come, but everything could change of course - One or two teams around the promotion spots may well drop out, just have to make sure we're not one of them.

Tue.28.Nov CRAWLEY TOWN (11th)
    Sat.09.Dec WALSALL (18th)
    Sat.16.Dec harrogate t. (15th)
    Sat.23.Dec stockport co (1st)
    Tue.26.Dec DONCASTER ROV (19th)
    Fri.29.Dec MORECAMBE (12th)
    Mon.01.Jan tranmere rov (22nd)
    Sat.06.Jan SUTTON UTD (24th)
    Sat.13.Jan grimsby town (21st)
    Sat.20.Jan STOCKPORT CO (1st)

Just listened to Luke Williams interview and to say he was pissed is an understatement... knows what we did wrong but unfortunately picks the same players who contribute to it... I guess we are so short staffed he has to... January will be interesting...a few of those players look like having a future elsewhere.. Gk, Defender x 2 and decent midfielder needed...not asking much ha ha

To be fair it should have been addressed pre-season as a lot of us have been saying it’s been blindingly obvious it was our Achilles heel, as much as some people think ‘Recruitment’ is beyond question with the club , IMO it’s been very poor at times with the decisions being made.
    I think you could justify not making huge changes to the defence with our record last year. Yes, the signs were there, but you can't sign great new players in all positions so we prioritised attacking areas.

Problem is that we made mistakes in defence last season and it wasn't a big deal as very often the opposition couldn't capitalise on it. Sometimes the mistakes didn't even lead to chances, and if they did they were often missed.

This season we are getting pressed harder by better quality forwards, so mistakes turn into chances more often and those chances are converted more often. This will be even more evident in League 1.

We have aspirations to be a League 1 team either next season or more realistically the season after. Rawlo is not exactly one for the future and neither is Brindley, but Cameron and Baldwin have effectively six or eigh**** months to grow and improve and prove themselves capable of making fewer mistakes, otherwise they will get us relegated from League 1 if we do get promoted.

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast