+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget

Budget

After a bad day at the office there seems to be a big shout out ( according to the match thread) for us to go out and purchase some new defenders. Bearing that in mind here is the conundrum. Do we sell Langstaff in January and use that money to reinvest in new defenders?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    After a bad day at the office there seems to be a big shout out ( according to the match thread) for us to go out and purchase some new defenders. Bearing that in mind here is the conundrum. Do we sell Langstaff in January and use that money to reinvest in new defenders?
    NO!

Right now we have a NL defence, a L2 midfield and a L1 forward line. When Palmer returns we probably also have a L1 midfield.

I think most agree that Baldwin is decent, and Macari is coming along nicely. 1 really good (L1 potential) CB and we should be OK, with Brindley and Cameron as part of the mix.

Its a good call. For me it comes down to when and not if we sell him because he's 25-26 years old and the bloke deserves a shot at one good Championship level contract to set himself up for the future, but if we thought we'd only get £500k for him then I'd say no.

Surely the main point is not about selling anyone? I hear that we are running at an average of 2500 attendees above the business plan at every home game because of players like him and assuming that it is at an average of £15 a ticket to allow for some of them being kids, then we are taking an £37.5k extra on the gate for every game. Over the season that is over £800k, and that right there is the new defence?.

But if someone is in for Macca at £1m+, then take the money and we get a new defence, back up centre mid and a solid centre forward who is perhaps 30 years old and on the way down but can go up top with Didzy?

Definately not.

It’s a good question but if we’re serious about wanting to go up this season, we can’t sell one of our best players - and the struggles of Junior Morias are a perfect example of why.

We definitely need a serious upgrade in defence, plus one more in midfield - and all of them need to be naturals for our system. With the best will in the world, Connell is fighting a losing battle in that regard. He proved his worth against Bradford in the last 20 minutes, but if we want to play a high line, we need quick players back there. They also need to be up for the physical aspects of the league, which is where the challenge comes for the recruitment team because, as Rich Montague said last week, that’s who everyone is after.

Good question. All hypothetical but if someone offered £1m plus suitable add ons I would snap your hands off if a replacement was already identify and lined up. Without a replacement, no deal.

I imagine it's getting the balance right we don't want to sell our best played as that seriously stunts progress but isn't the whole point of our recruitment approach to buy players and then sell them for a lot more to reinvest in players?

Turning £50,000 into £1,000,000 would be a fantastic and probably example of that. When was the last time we sold a player for that sort of figure, that we ourselves bought, and to do it whilst in League Two would be incredibly impressive.

Steve Finnan in late 90s for considerably less. Craig Short for a lot more when we were a lot higher in the football pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    Good question. All hypothetical but if someone offered £1m plus suitable add ons I would snap your hands off if a replacement was already identify and lined up. Without a replacement, no deal.

I imagine it's getting the balance right we don't want to sell our best played as that seriously stunts progress but isn't the whole point of our recruitment approach to buy players and then sell them for a lot more to reinvest in players?

Turning £50,000 into £1,000,000 would be a fantastic and probably example of that. When was the last time we sold a player for that sort of figure, that we ourselves bought, and to do it whilst in League Two would be incredibly impressive.

Steve Finnan in late 90s for considerably less. Craig Short for a lot more when we were a lot higher in the football pyramid.
    You would have to say Morias is the natural replacement (that's why he was bought)and would hope that if he was to play week in week out he might become the player the club thought he was when we bought him....!!

You would have to say Morias is the natural replacement (that's why he was bought)and would hope that if he was to play week in week out he might become the player the club thought he was when we bought him....!!
    Out of all the Radar system of buys & loanees I believe Marias is a huge disappointment, he has been given a fair cracking of the whip but has just not produced anything to be a FL player.
    It's a shame as I thought he would be an upgrade on that other exiting player who was of the same stature ofcthe guy that Moniz bought in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    Out of all the Radar system of buys & loanees I believe Marias is a huge disappointment, he has been given a fair cracking of the whip but has just not produced anything to be a FL player.
    It's a shame as I thought he would be an upgrade on that other exiting player who was of the same stature ofcthe guy that Moniz bought in.
    If we get good money from the sale ML then it should be used to help improve the defence for this season.The rest of the season could be used to try and improve Morias, await the return of Scott and see if any of that works. If not then rebuild the forward line as required come the end of season with next seasons budget.i think that's the way I would try and move the squad forward.

If we get good money from the sale ML then it should be used to help improve the defence for this season.The rest of the season could be used to try and improve Morias, await the return of Scott and see if any of that works. If not then rebuild the forward line as required come the end of season with next seasons budget.i think that's the way I would try and move the squad forward.
    2 top defenders, goalkeeper and Palmer replacement away from being a nailed on playoff team.

I'd be looking to replace Slocombe, Brindley, Cameron (keep as back up) Rawlinson and JOB from yesterdays team.

A back 3 of Macari/Baldwin/new signing with an upgraded goalkeeper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast