+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liam Roberts

Liam Roberts

Middlesbrough FC ponder loan keeper recall in January - which could have implications for Barnsley FC

MIDDLESBROUGH head coach Michael Carrick says that recalling one of the club's loaned-out goalkeepers is an option in January - with their players currently out at other clubs including Barnsley’s Liam Roberts.

Boro are likely to lose current number one Seny Dieng to African Cup of Nations duty at the start of the new year with the ex-QPR player almost certain to be named in the Senegal squad for the Africa Cup of Nations that will be staged in Ivory Coast and Guinea-Bissau.
    Second-choice keeper Tom Glover is also expected to be named in the Australian squad for the Asia Cup in Qatar, which starts a day before the African competition in mid-January.

Boro could elect take the option to recall a loan keeper. Roberts joined the Reds on a season-long loan in the summer, while Sol Brynn is at another out at a League One side in Leyton Orient, with Zach Hemming is currently in Scotland with St Mirren.

Roberts is currently out with a finger injury following surgery in October.
    But should he return to the side in the near-future, he could represent an option to be recalled, with the 29-year-old being the senior keeper among the three.
    Boro have another keeper on their books in Jamie Jones, but he is yet to play this term.

On the prospect of recalling a loanee, Boro chief Michael Carrick said: "(Recalling loanees) is one of the options we have, although there is all sorts of thinking that goes into that. You have to consider each individual as well.
    "Of course, what’s best for us and what we need as a team is important. But there is a big element of each situation and what’s best for the individual, which might not be pulling them back because we need them.
    "They’ve got their development to think about, so it’s not as easy as just, 'Let’s get every goalkeeper back that we’ve got’. There’s an awful lot goes into that thought process, and when we make the decision, we’ll try to make sure that it’s the best one for everyone."

Oh dear !
    He’s 29 we could get a young kid in.

The season that just keeps on giving .

This is the last championship season just with more points .

He’s been a big miss albeit a loan player
    The Lincoln equaliser would never have happened if he’s in sticks

Its just my take but the fact that Roberts has been out so long may well work in our favour, if the other two they have out on loan have been playing regularly & Roberts at best ring fusty if not still fit then Boro may well leave him with us, the other option of course would be our forward thinking board may try to strike a deal with the player & his club to complete a permanent deal to be signed on the ist of jan , then again I might just wake up from my dream in a minute !!

Well Killip should definitely not be the long term answer as No1, if Roberts does go back we need someone in that puts Killip back on the bench!

I suspect the Board may think they will play it what they see as being clever and wait until the end of the season when Roberts contract ends and he is available for free.

Other clubs will make better offers then, particularly if we fail to get promoted.

Bite the bullet and get him bought in January. He has proved he is a quality keeper.

Spectemur Agendo

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Its just my take but the fact that Roberts has been out so long may well work in our favour, if the other two they have out on loan have been playing regularly & Roberts at best ring fusty if not still fit then Boro may well leave him with us, the other option of course would be our forward thinking board may try to strike a deal with the player & his club to complete a permanent deal to be signed on the ist of jan , then again I might just wake up from my dream in a minute !!
    I'll have whatever you have been drinking Shads but twice as much !!! Happy days though that we can still live the dream mate of having normal people running our club and success again.

Barnsley Football Club can confirm Paul Cooper has been recalled from his loan spell at Worksop Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    I'll have whatever you have been drinking Shads but twice as much !!! Happy days though that we can still live the dream mate of having normal people running our club and success again.
    My post & comments about the board being forward thinking was an attempt by me of being sarcastic Chop but I agree with you , we can all dream !! lol

Parekh will announce to a whooping, ecstatic audience at the Fans Forum on Monday that we have swooped to reach an understanding in principle with Roberts of a permanent, three year deal from January.

And a nod and a wink to anticipate good news about the players whose contracts or loans run out at the end of this season in summer 2024 according to Transfermarkt---

Williiams
    Cole
    Kane
    Cadden
    McCart
    Cundy
    Dodgson
    Woolfe
    McAtee
    Jalo
    Killip
    Marsh

(Iseka has another year until summer 2025)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 01-12-2023 at 04:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast