+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot - Doncaster

ot - Doncaster

I’ve relatives in Doncaster and for years I used to love going in there before Christmas.
    Much posher than Barnsley.
    Lovely market - busy farming town with all what that brings.

Been into day.
    OMG !!!
    Ming Mong Central.
    Gummy Munter City.
    What the hell has happened to Doncaster!?!?!
    Really tacky.

One of the things I noticed straight away is that unlike Barnsley people avert their eyes and look down they don’t give eye contact.
    It’s scary what’s happened to that town - now a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Ming Mong Central.
    Tha'd fit reight in then. Sorry couldn't resist

Worked over there for a few years twenty odd years ago .

They allus thought they were a cut above us dingles in my opinion .

Airport was getting built and this , that and the other back then whilst we had nowt over here .

They even started getting top side of us on the football field which was hard to take at the time .

Barnsley town centre is a gem , business is doing well now , coaches packed full of shoppers coming from all over nar .

Try not to judge folk for not giving eye contact Nudge mi owd. Tha dunt always know what people's personal circumstances are and what might be behind it. For example, I have two autistic daughters who were born and bred in Barnsley. One of the many autistic traits across the wide spectrum is to not give eye contact. They both have that trait which causes them social problems at times. They're as good as gold though despite that. Not having a go, just trying to raise awareness. It dunt matter where tha from, people are people so like mindedness or general behavioural patterns is just a theory that doesn't really exist.
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 29-11-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Worked over there for a few years twenty odd years ago .

They allus thought they were a cut above us dingles in my opinion .

Airport was getting built and this , that and the other back then whilst we had nowt over here .

They even started getting top side of us on the football field which was hard to take at the time .

Barnsley town centre is a gem , business is doing well now , coaches packed full of shoppers coming from all over nar .
    That season where they smashed us 4 nowt at Belle Vue and won the return league game 3-1 at Oakwell was horrible. That's the only time I've heard Barnsley fans actually boo one of our goals when Chopra scored the consolation that midweek night. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Try not to judge folk for not giving eye contact Nudge mi owd. Tha dunt always know what people's personal circumstances are and what might be behind it. For example, I have two autistic daughters who were born and bred in Barnsley. One of the many autistic traits across the wide spectrum is to not give eye contact. They both have that trait which causes them social problems at times. They're as good as gold though despite that. Not having a go, just trying to raise awareness. It dunt matter where tha from, people are people so like mindedness or general behavioural patterns is just a theory that doesn't really exist.
    It’s nowt to do with autism.
    If i thought it was - then I wouldn’t be posting owt like the OP.

I’ve experienced this lack of eye contact before in the UK and other parts of the world - when there is a large percentage looking down at the pavement - especially women looking down at the pavement - then that indicates FEAR amongst the people within that community.

Yes Animal - I’ve also spent a lot of time in Donny and have experienced the same - they have always looked down their noses at Barnsley.
    It’s a snobby town.
    I’ve always thought that this was because there was pockets of wealth throughout Donny.
    People wondering what the other person had got.
    Not much of that exists in Barnsley.
    There’s more of a togetherness in Barnsley.

But look at Donny now - it’s horrible - and I would go as far as saying it’s actually scary.
    Zombified.
    Scary especially if you can remember how much wealth was on show there only a few decades ago.

Guess you can rule out my theory then

I’ve also spent a lot of time in Donny and have experienced the same - they have always looked down their noses at Barnsley.
    It’s a snobby town.
    I’ve always thought that this was because there was pockets of wealth throughout Donny.
    People wondering what the other person had got.
    Not much of that exists in Barnsley.
    There’s more of a togetherness in Barnsley.

Where's all this idea of Donny being a middle class town come from ?

I never used to visit Donny except for Barnsley away games but instead was taught abart it's characteristics by fellow chaps on the Oakwell terraces. There I was told Donny was---

1)...."a town full of gypos, you're just a town full of gypos" ( members of the traveller heritage community M'Lord) and...

2)...."Donny's a sh1thole, I wanna go home" ( as used by the new Home Secretary to describe Stockton on Tees M'Lord)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 30-11-2023 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Where's all this idea of Donny being a middle class town come from ?

I never used to visit Donny except for Barnsley away games but instead was taught abart it's characteristics by fellow chaps on the Oakwell terraces. There I was told Donny was---

1)...."a town full of gypos, you're just a town full of gypos" ( members of the traveller heritage community M'Lord) and...

2)...."Donny's a sh1thole, I wanna go home" ( as used by the new Home Secretary to describe Stockton on Tees M'Lord)
    Yep - it has the highest density of gypsies in the UK.
    Tyson Fury’s wife is from there.

BUT - it also is a larger town than Barnsley and is /was the town that provides services for a bigger area - much of it rich farmland with many wealthy farming communities within it.

It has a massive market - its meat and fish market is still much bigger than Barnsley’s.
    A bigger town centre with many individual shops eg shoe makers etc.

It also has ….. the racecourse that brings a lot of wealth into the town.
    The East Coast Main Line that brings London in easy striking distance - I always travel to London from there.
    A railway industry - the Flying Scotsman was built there.
    It used to have a big mining industry.
    Good motorway links.
    Huge areas of flat land at the side of motorways ideal for development - hence all the big sheds you see along side the M18.
    It had its own airport - which fingers crossed will be reopening soon as it was great to travel from there.

It’s got loads of things going for it - but the town centre now resembles something from a Zombie film.

Yep - it has the highest density of gypsies in the UK.
    Tyson Fury’s wife is from there.

BUT - it also is a larger town than Barnsley and is /was the town that provides services for a bigger area - much of it rich farmland with many wealthy farming communities within it.

It has a massive market - its meat and fish market is still much bigger than Barnsley’s.
    A bigger town centre with many individual shops eg shoe makers etc.

It also has ….. the racecourse that brings a lot of wealth into the town.
    The East Coast Main Line that brings London in easy striking distance - I always travel to London from there.
    A railway industry - the Flying Scotsman was built there.
    It used to have a big mining industry.
    Good motorway links.
    Huge areas of flat land at the side of motorways ideal for development - hence all the big sheds you see along side the M18.
    It had its own airport - which fingers crossed will be reopening soon as it was great to travel from there.

It’s got loads of things going for it - but the town centre now resembles something from a Zombie film.
    You are right about it being flat because it floods regular , the best thing about Donny is the last bus out !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast