+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T R.I.P. Shane MacGowan

O/T R.I.P. Shane MacGowan

What a colourful life he lived. Seems a miracle he made it to 65 tbh.

A true great poet and songwriter of that there can be no doubt and responsible for the greatest Christmas song of them all. It will be fitting for it to be the Christmas number q this year, on its original release it only got to number 2, a travesty.

Rest in Peace, a genius who refused to confirm to yhe norm.

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    What a colourful life he lived. Seems a miracle he made it to 65 tbh.

A true great poet and songwriter of that there can be no doubt and responsible for the greatest Christmas song of them all. It will be fitting for it to be the Christmas number q this year, on its original release it only got to number 2, a travesty.

Rest in Peace, a genius who refused to confirm to yhe norm.
    Just seen this myself.
    RIP Shane
    I saw a picture of him last week, and feared the worst.
    I think it said he was coming home after a long stint in hospital. I wonder if it was to be at home at the end.

Had some good night's at the city hall, watching the pogues and a wonderful night at Xmas at Manchester arena.

A very intelligent and fascinating man.
    The film biography "Crock of Gold" is well worth a watch if you've not seen it.
    RIP Shane. Thanks for the music.

Very sad. I remember being 18 and playing 'Rum,Sodomy and the Lash' until the vinyl wore out! Fascinating guy.He wasn't Irish as most people thought and was educated privately at Prep School in Kent and then gained a scholarship to Westminster School. There aren't many people who don't think that the Fairytale of New York is the greatest Christmas song of all time..........even with the current changes of lyrics......''you scumbag,you maggott,you cheap lousy non binary''!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    Very sad. I remember being 18 and playing 'Rum,Sodomy and the Lash' until the vinyl wore out! Fascinating guy.He wasn't Irish as most people thought and was educated privately at Prep School in Kent and then gained a scholarship to Westminster School. There aren't many people who don't think that the Fairytale of New York is the greatest Christmas song of all time..........even with the current changes of lyrics......''you scumbag,you maggott,you cheap lousy non binary''!
    Yes, what a pity it was sanitised

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    I've just got in and dug my copy of R,S&TL out and put it on
    L O U D
    Sorry neighbours 😆

Slainté Shane

Very sad but imressed he went this long with thelife he led!

Proper genius, merging genres and traditions with a unique stamp. An incredible song writer in his pomp.

One of my regrets, not seeing the Pogues at their hight. Saw them on one of their later Xmas shows but the spark had gone by then.

Thanks for the tunes Shane - you danced to no one's tune and I'll miss you in the corner at Spoons.

Saw a documentary on him a while ago and he brought a groupie onto the tour bus after a gig.
    They started making out on the bus and then he took her to his hotel room.

The problem was that his then wife was on the bus and it was difficult to tell if he was coherent enough to remember. Either way it made no difference to the outcome.
    His wife had to find alternative accommodation and then an alternative husband

No travesty in my eyes. It was kept off the top spot by arguably the best cover version ever made, in my humble opinion of course.
    That said, he was a talented songwriter and it’s sad to hear he’s passed.

Bets are off for this years Xmas No 1

RIP Shane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast