+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Wedgie-Pie's ID revealed and short corners

O/T:- Wedgie-Pie's ID revealed and short corners

In blowing the whistle, after waving play-on, to deny Jack Grealish's last minute run on goal referee Simon Hooper ensures that Man C v Spurs ends up Wedgie's 3-3 draw. I wonder how much he had on it?

Re short corners, Man C put it sraight into the box, lots of players forward, breaks out to Spurs, not enough back to defend and Spurs score.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-12-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    In blowing the whistle, after waving play-on, to deny Jack Grealish's last minute run on goal referee Simon Hooper ensures that Man C v Spurs ends up Wedgie's 3-3 draw. I wonder how much he had on it?

Re short corners, Man C put it sraight into the box, lots of players forward, breaks out to Spurs, not enough back to defend and Spurs score.
    Ahah I like it.

Did anyone who watched that game feel like Postecoglou's Spurs are the PL version of Notts?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post

Yes I have to agree. Based on that extensive population sample, I honestly do not understand why anyone would ever take anything but a short corner.

Equally, it’s clear that refs should wave to play advantage then blow up when there is one, as it clearly is going to increase the levels of fines and bookings and make the FA significant cash. It’s clearly a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Ahah I like it.

Did anyone who watched that game feel like Postecoglou's Spurs are the PL version of Notts?
    If there is a PL version of Notts, it has to be Villa. The speed they play at and the patterns of play are virtually identical. I suppose you could call them my 2nd team, as I watch them on TV a fair bit and I've always been a bit of a fan since I went to their ground as a nipper. It was bl00dy huge, I'd never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    If there is a PL version of Notts, it has to be Villa. The speed they play at and the patterns of play are virtually identical. I suppose you could call them my 2nd team, as I watch them on TV a fair bit and I've always been a bit of a fan since I went to their ground as a nipper. It was bl00dy huge, I'd never seen anything like it.
    They've certainly come on having lost their way post Martin O'Neill.

I know the current trend is to knock the top flight (perhaps with some good reason) but there is also some tremendous football played, much of it by players I've never heard off. But even so there must be half dozen "Baldwin brain farts" goals/near misses over a weekend. Passes back without looking, passes to player without seeing they've got a man on, last defender trying to be Beckenbaur, but the latter is nothing new. Even the late great Bobby Moore sullied folks memory of him with the giveaway in the World Cup v Poland 1973. One of those "I don't believe it moments" for those that remember '66. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHq0Zo4aBk

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Ahah I like it.

Yeah, I thought exactly the same. A couple of their defenders didn’t look any more capable of playing out than what ours were. Thankfully for them Haaland forgot where the goal was for once.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Tottenham because of their Notts like ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Even more so now because their manager seems like such a good guy.

Did anyone catch the snippets from Carragher and Neville about Spurs system? They were under pressure from MC and the Spurs "full back" was trapped on the goal line and couldn't get the ball away "They must have been told they can't clear their lines!" says Neville, they then had a discussion about Postecoglou rigidly sticking to one system (possession out of defence) and both agreed that there are times when that has to be altered if under threat. Looking at the Spurs defenders high line they were at the half way line and flat but as soon as the defence saw MC had regained the ball they immediately dropped deeper in anticipation of a high/through ball to a runner (I presume). Apart from the blindingly obvious differences I thought looking closely at both teams play and formation was very enlightening in comparison to our system.

The Spurs v Villa game of a week or so back was definitely like watching one of our games

Fantastic level of entertainment