+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Has TS lost his mojo?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    The town doesn’t back TS though. Yes there’s 8000 -9000 home fans but we don’t even sell out the big games with 9.5k
    We give any club that asks for their maximum ticket allocation and we didn’t even sell out play off games

The idea was to increase the capacity ….to move the club onwards and upwards….but the demand just isn’t there.
    Surely TS has a limit as to what he can invest otherwise he’ll get stung by the FFP rules
    People used to say something similar about Bournemouth and then along came a billionaire.......

The town doesn’t back TS though. Yes there’s 8000 -9000 home fans but we don’t even sell out the big games with 9.5k
    We give any club that asks for their maximum ticket allocation and we didn’t even sell out play off games

The idea was to increase the capacity ….to move the club onwards and upwards….but the demand just isn’t there.
    Surely TS has a limit as to what he can invest otherwise he’ll get stung by the FFP rules
    Perhaps Flour, that's because the product on offer isn’t worth the time, money or effort that is needed for the marginal fan to show up. It doesn’t help that the concourses are run by outlets that under staff and fans have to queue way too long to buy drinks. The food, drinks on offer are limited - No chips as MT once said. It doesn’t help when the exit strategy is completely wrong and makes most home fans spit feathers. The lottery at half time is from the dark ages and needs dumping.

Then the football …………………………………

We travel 120 miles round trip to a match and guarantee that we’ll get diverted on mid week match days off the motorway on our way home adding another hour to our journey. We’ve been doing this for years and years but at the moment all the negative things about supporting RUFC come out and my original point was I’m just wondering if L1 footy isn’t more enjoyable. Getting into the play offs, even losing at Wembley - wouldn’t that be more enjoyable than constantly getting thumped in the Championship? I dunno, perhaps it is for me.

Great stadium though and fit for the club on its current standing. Popeyes is good too ��

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    People used to say something similar about Bournemouth and then along came a billionaire.......
    Yes and they were found guilty in 2016 m’lud…..

Bournemouth will have to pay a fine of £7.6m after they broke Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules on their way to securing promotion to the Premier League last season.

Clubs are allowed a 'maximum deviation' of £6m per season without punishment under the FFP agreement but the Cherries posted a £38.3m loss in 2014/15 as they won the Sky Bet Championship.

Agree totally with your first paragraph Pete Waller. Been saying the same thing for years now when the subject of local support for the club crops up.
    There's so much more better things to do these days on a Saturday or Tuesday night than pay a small fortune to watch a poor show.
    All the way back to the Porterfield era the club has shown promise, lifting the spirits of the then ' Faithful 3000' and encouraged more support through the turnstiles only to see it all fall short of expectation, time and time again.
    The best position the club has achieved in my lifetime was when Emlyn was the manager when we reached 4th position in the old 2nd division, four places from the old 1st division, only to fall away and if memory serves we finished in 9th position. Here we sit broken hearted, paid a penny and only,...............
    To get people through the turnstiles there's nothing better than success on the field, sustained by attractive attacking football from a club with ambition and fortitude, not here today gone tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post

Then the football …………………………………

We travel 120 miles round trip to a match and guarantee that we’ll get diverted on mid week match days off the motorway on our way home adding another hour to our journey. We’ve been doing this for years and years but at the moment all the negative things about supporting RUFC come out and my original point was I’m just wondering if L1 footy isn’t more enjoyable. Getting into the play offs, even losing at Wembley - wouldn’t that be more enjoyable than constantly getting thumped in the Championship? I dunno, perhaps it is for me.
    ��
    I thought last season was fabulous entertainment on the pitch. Thoroughly enjoyed every moment. We can’t win every match and we had a right wobble at Xmas but that’s all part of the ebb and flow of a season.

I fully accept that others will see and experience things differently though and clearly the product isn’t bringing in the extra punters. Maybe I’m easily pleased.

I too have a long round trip of 2-3 hours but I don’t get the roadworks. I can see why it must be demoralising for you

Bournemouth will have to pay a fine of £7.6m after they broke Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules on their way to securing promotion to the Premier League last season.

Clubs are allowed a 'maximum deviation' of £6m per season without punishment under the FFP agreement but the Cherries posted a £38.3m loss in 2014/15 as they won the Sky Bet Championship.
    Chicken feed though compared to what they get through having ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Pip, Where have you got 40% from? Rathbone didn’t go on to mention wages in his last big interview about a new contract?
    Of course Rathbone didn't mention wages Brin. But isn't it logical to assume that if Rathbone was willing to sign for the same money, or 5%, or 10%, then the initial discussions that were had with him would have concluded with his signature.

So can we assume that he made it clear in those initial discssions that he was looking for more than say 10%, and let's say also that he may have asked for more like 40% or 50%, then maybe it is clear why those iinitial discussions weren't followed up.

Yes, the 40% and all of the above are speculative, but I dont think it too fantastical to assume that intial disussions were had, at which Rathbone's agent would have outlined the ball park of what his client was looking for (not just money obv) and after which the club have refrained from further discussions.

But yes, I don't see why we haven't put more onus on Rathbone by organising negotiation meetings with agent and making it clear that they are trying to reach an agreement, if not just for signposting for those struggling to put together the above scenario. Basil is obviously boxing clever in the media by saying that there have been no further discussions, therby putting the pressure on the club, who clearly don't like negotiating/discussing private conversations in public. But surely not even Stewart's biggest critic could think that Stewart would be willing to let a valuable asset go for nothing without making his best offer to keep them. As Ogbene showed, even that was never going to be enough and it paid off very well for him.
    Last edited by ragingpup; 06-12-2023 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Pissed

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Chicken feed though compared to what they get through having ambition.
    Very true Mellow. It was certainly worth the gamble for them
    Their owner could probably afford it an even if they hadn’t of gone up.
    Not the same for other clubs such as wba and swfc

TS strikes me as an old fashioned, shake hands on a deal, it's sorted, man. Sadly, it's out of step with the modern game, where players etc, pretend to sign new contracts, then bugger off down the road for the big City lights.
    Tapping up is rife. Obviously a lot of our targets were edging their bets on bigger jobs, while courting our Chairman.
    As for fans ambitions, I'm just happy to see us competing in games, whether we're playing Southampton or Northampton. The division is irrelevant to me. I just enjoy one game at a time. Can't remember the last time I looked at a league table.
    We'll get, who we get. I'm sure he'll do his best.

But there in the premiership generating 10s off millions

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast