+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On This Day

On This Day

On this day 1967, the Dons just failed to get past Standard Liege in the Cup Winners Cup.
    First leg in Belgium we lost 3-0, the return leg at Pittodrie we battered them 2-0 but just could not get a third goal.

My reason for posting this is that I have a vivid recollection of watching the highlights later that evening on the BBC's Sportsreel (the forerunner of Sportscene). I would have been 10 at the time.

The match was played in a blizzard, and at that time our older readers may recall the TV gantry on the open south terracing, which was basically just scaffolding.

Anyhow, the BBC commentator George Davidson spent most of the match complaining of being pelted with snowballs.

Anyone else recall this? Or were any of you one of those "coorse loons"?

y`know, this snowball thing ? It`s almost becoming a tradition with the Dandies ?!!

Hope we use that in our defence v upcoming potential EUFA charges ?!!

Far I come fae it’s a snaa baa.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Far I come fae it’s a snaa baa.
    Aye ok. So Rowie or just Roll .....?

Quote Originally Posted by neilthedon View Post
    Aye ok. So Rowie or just Roll .....?
    Was rolls as a loon but noo butteries, probably due to local bakers. NEVER rowie though, that’s just wrang.

'Buttery' is a modern baztardisation ... a sad attempt at gentrifyin' oor world famous 'Rowie'. It's also a misnomer, as there's nae butter in there ... it's aa fkn lard. The use of the word 'buttery' when refering tae an Aiberdeen rowie is the real 'wrong 'un' ... and which I personally file under 'poovery'

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    'Buttery' is a modern baztardisation ... a sad attempt at gentrifyin' oor world famous 'Rowie'. It's also a misnomer, as there's nae butter in there ... it's aa fkn lard. The use of the word 'buttery' when refering tae an Aiberdeen rowie is the real 'wrong 'un' ... and which I personally file under 'poovery'
    Buttery for me.

And it’s chipper not chippie or chip shop before that one kicks off aswell 😀

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    I tried making some. Used a recipe from the Lardy Bikers website. Had it half butter & half Lard. Nothing like it !!! WAY too buttery , more like a flat scone !

So rejigged the mix to mainly all Lard, and one tiny wee scoop of butter. Much more like it . ( But I`d just miss out the butter at all, and spread that on thick once they`d cooled down for eating.

Aye, I like mine cold !!!