+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Barton

Joey Barton

Seems like he has completely lost the plot in the past few days with his comments about female pundits or commentators. Doesn't seem to want to let it go by having further digs at them today.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Seems like he has completely lost the plot in the past few days with his comments about female pundits or commentators. Doesn't seem to want to let it go by having further digs at them today.
    He’s a loose cannon, but everyone’s entitled to opinions, and I recall a number of (considered but) negative opinions on this forum about female football and female involvement in male football. For my part my opinion varies from the negative (Alex Scott) to the positive (Rebecca Welch) and maybe Joey has a range of opinions he just hasn’t ranted on about yet

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    He’s a loose cannon, but everyone’s entitled to opinions, and I recall a number of (considered but) negative opinions on this forum about female football and female involvement in male football. For my part my opinion varies from the negative (Alex Scott) to the positive (Rebecca Welch) and maybe Joey has a range of opinions he just hasn’t ranted on about yet
    Surely when he rants about giving opinions on knitting it goes beyond having opinion.

Surely when he rants about giving opinions on knitting it goes beyond having opinion.
    Not excusing the bloke as being a loose cannon, but he has provoked debate - regrettably, in the mainstream, only about the man himself. Look deeper and his comments have reignited a long-standing issue. Also regrettably the extremists at either end make it difficult to have/get across a nuanced view. What’s your honest view?

My honest view is that many of the female pundits are less tribal and biased than a lot of those from the mens game. Its quite refreshing. I think the likes of shearer have improved but it's not that long ago that motd you had lawrenson and shearer and you'd think only 2 teams mattered, same as sky on Saturday afternoons, le tissier, Thompson etc it was so biased it got boring.

I don't get the argument about not having played the game either, plenty of excellent people haven't, Jeff Stelling is one, as far as I know he didn't but he was what was good about sky on Saturdays.

Its worked for Barton though because hell get more listeners now for his podcast. It's a shame he has to court publicity at the cost to others, which makes him an even worse human being.

My honest view is that many of the female pundits are less tribal and biased than a lot of those from the mens game. Its quite refreshing. I think the likes of shearer have improved but it's not that long ago that motd you had lawrenson and shearer and you'd think only 2 teams mattered, same as sky on Saturday afternoons, le tissier, Thompson etc it was so biased it got boring.

I don't get the argument about not having played the game either, plenty of excellent people haven't, Jeff Stelling is one, as far as I know he didn't but he was what was good about sky on Saturdays.

Its worked for Barton though because hell get more listeners now for his podcast. It's a shame he has to court publicity at the cost to others, which makes him an even worse human being.
    Fair go. I’m writing a book (groans from all other forum members) one of the threads of which involves sports commentators/anchors, always interested in opinions about them

For what it’s worth I always considered the Sky saturday afternoon programme to be a comedy effort as much as anything

As far as I know some of the more illustrious male football commentators - Wolstenholme, Coleman, Davies, Motson etc - had no claim to have been decent footballers but were, rightly or wrongly, held in high esteem as commentators/pundits.
    My daughter has a ST at PP. She may never have put in a great defensive header or been the victim of a ligament busting tackle...but she can talk as knowledgeably as anyone on here about Derby’s promotion prospects.
    One thing that irritates me slightly is the pretence that women’s football is, or will ever be, on the same level as the men’s game. It isn’t and never will be imo, and that goes for cricket, rugby, athletics, tennis, golf, swimming etc too. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth watching or that women can’t display expertise, which is at least the equal of Joey Barton’s, when discussing the men’s game.

One would hope that they can better Barton...

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    One would hope that they can better Barton...
    Tbf he was a bloody good footballer, MA...should have stuck to it because, beyond that, I suspect we’re in complete agreement.

Whilst the rules of each sport are essentially the same for women as for men, the physical differences between the genders means that performance, by and large, can never be the same. Hence for the spectator the product on sale will never be the same.

Personally I find women's tennis a better watch - more finesse and less power. I actually enjoy women's golf for similar reasons. Cricket - no, they bring boundaries in so far; football, rugby and the more physical sports - no thanks.

However we are only at the tip of the problem and the non binary / self identification of genders will shortly make a farce of "traditional men's/women's" sport. It's already started in athletics and will only get more disruptive.

The day when Brodie Retallick (all 6ft 8 and 20 stone of him) decides he is a woman and wants to play for the Black Ferns can't be far away (example only: other rugby players are available).

Unsure how this dynamic will play out, but sure there are no good answers

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)