+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Walsall Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    There was an element of that, definitely, and Stone looks to be a problem. He was brought in supposedly because he had good distribution, but I've not seen consistent evidence of it, and as a goalkeeper he looks pretty ordinary.

I think there's broad agreement that we need to take fewer risks in defence if we're to concede fewer goals, but I doubt that Stone's interpretation or application of that principle yesterday was what Williams would have wanted. It's going to be a learning process where some players will successfully adapt and others won't, but that's fine, because it tells the manager and the recruitment team where they need to strengthen.
    We all knew that the defence wanted strengthening, So we ended up signing 2 crocks and a 36yr old... Dan Crowley has been the only player signed that looks to be any good long term. Has for Gosling and Tipton, January cant come soon enough..

In January we need a new keeper (or give Brookes a chance, he cant be any worse) 2 new Central defenders, A mobile ball winning central midfield player...
    We need to transfer list Morias , Randall and Stone... All crap..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post

In January we need a new keeper (or give Brookes a chance, he cant be any worse) 2 new Central defenders, A mobile ball winning central midfield player...
    Love your confidence building technique😂

Well the weather isn't going to get any better and Palmer isn't coming back any time soon so for me we need to stop trying to fit square pegs in round holes, protect our defence more and stop inviting pressure.

We cannot carry on our style of play with the central midfielders we have at our disposal at the moment. Gosling is still clearly not fit but I don't want us to suffer whilst getting him fit to leave in January so I'd offer him an extension to the end of the season this week and if he says no - thank you and goodbye and have Cissé in the squad in his stead at least he can run.

We have 3 central defenders starting and yet Nemane is left to battle for a header at the back post.

Langstaff isn't great in the air and he struggles to beat a man when squared up; unless we're putting in 20-30 early crosses and through balls in behind a game we're wasting him. He's our best chance of winning a game and I'd say our style of play actually hinders him as opposed to helping him. Last year we thrived in the second half when teams tired against us but I don't see any evidence that we're capable of maintaining that style for 90 minutes at this level with what we have available.

Losing at home to Mansfield - annoying but understandable they looked incredibly sturdy and took a derby game in their stride.

Losing a tight game at home to Wrexham after a fortunate deflection put them ahead - fine.

Losing to a piss poor Walsall team who'd scored the 3rd least goals in the league whilst looking like a bunch of strangers going through the motions should be the catalyst to look at things and ask are we actually setting up in a way which gives us the best chance at winning the game?

4-2-3-1

Slocombe / Stone
    Adebayo-Rowling / Brindley
    Baldwin / Macari
    Cameron / Rawlinson
    Chicksen

O'Brien / Gosling
    Bostock / Austin

Nemane / Randall / Adebayo-Rowling
    McGoldrick / Crowley
    Jones / Randall

Langstaff / Morais / McGoldrick

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We all knew that the defence wanted strengthening, So we ended up signing 2 crocks and a 36yr old... Dan Crowley has been the only player signed that looks to be any good long term. Has for Gosling and Tipton, January cant come soon enough..

With your last comments it makes me wonder why you aren’t a manager with motivational masterpieces like that !

The reality is we have just got promoted and guess what most teams that get promoted don’t tend to rip their new league apart history shows you that.

We’re still in the mix for PO’s and that is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    Well the weather isn't going to get any better and Palmer isn't coming back any time soon so for me we need to stop trying to fit square pegs in round holes, protect our defence more and stop inviting pressure.

We cannot carry on our style of play with the central midfielders we have at our disposal at the moment. Gosling is still clearly not fit but I don't want us to suffer whilst getting him fit to leave in January so I'd offer him an extension to the end of the season this week and if he says no - thank you and goodbye and have Cissé in the squad in his stead at least he can run.

We have 3 central defenders starting and yet Nemane is left to battle for a header at the back post.

Langstaff isn't great in the air and he struggles to beat a man when squared up; unless we're putting in 20-30 early crosses and through balls in behind a game we're wasting him. He's our best chance of winning a game and I'd say our style of play actually hinders him as opposed to helping him. Last year we thrived in the second half when teams tired against us but I don't see any evidence that we're capable of maintaining that style for 90 minutes at this level with what we have available.

Losing at home to Mansfield - annoying but understandable they looked incredibly sturdy and took a derby game in their stride.

Losing a tight game at home to Wrexham after a fortunate deflection put them ahead - fine.

Losing to a piss poor Walsall team who'd scored the 3rd least goals in the league whilst looking like a bunch of strangers going through the motions should be the catalyst to look at things and ask are we actually setting up in a way which gives us the best chance at winning the game?

4-2-3-1

Slocombe / Stone
    Adebayo-Rowling / Brindley
    Baldwin / Macari
    Cameron / Rawlinson
    Chicksen

O'Brien / Gosling
    Bostock / Austin

Nemane / Randall / Adebayo-Rowling
    McGoldrick / Crowley
    Jones / Randall

Langstaff / Morais / McGoldrick
    I've just watched the highlights. For the second Walsall goal, a Walsall player runs past our 32, starting from 3M behind, and ending up 6 or 7M in front. Nothing against this new signing, but he shouldn't be on the pitch ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    I've just watched the highlights. For the second Walsall goal, a Walsall player runs past our 32, starting from 3M behind, and ending up 6 or 7M in front. Nothing against this new signing, but he shouldn't be on the pitch ATM.
    Yes, good luck to him but looks like it's just not going to work out.
    He'll play somewhere else soon enough, but another poster made this point - professional levels are high thru England's top 5 leagues - fall off the level physically at Prem/Champ level and you easily fall below what's needed in the leagues below.
    Is he overweight, or moving/reacting so slowly that it looks like he is?
    If his cleverness/use of the ball was elite it would compensate - but I gather he's made his career as a different type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    We can't afford to carry him while he tries to get match fit again which is what we're doing. I don't care if he played in the Premiership or not. I think we need to call it quits as he ain't going to be fit enough to cope with league football anytime soon nevermind in the next 2 weeks.

What on earth was Cameron doing for their 1st?? He never once looks around, if he had he'd have noticed Nemane was trying his hardest to mark someone he had no chance of out jumping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Love your confidence building technique😂
    Unfortunately he ain't far wrong with that comment, seen absolutely nothing from Morias, Randall or Stone to suggest they are any good.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    What on earth was Cameron doing for their 1st?? He never once looks around, if he had he'd have noticed Nemane was trying his hardest to mark someone he had no chance of out jumping!!!
    No discipline or communication between the 2 CB's. Both with their fingers up their Jacksie and getting sucked onto the player with the ball. 3 of our players almost level with the near post covering (yeah well) their No8. Begging for the high ball that Cameron should have been able to attack from the far post area. Cameron was never able to help Nemane. Neither Cameron or Baldwin have a Scooby Doo about central defensive positioning.

I think what we are now seeing is expectations far exceeding the speed that the project can deliver at or is even expected to.

Wrexham have set an unrealistic bar for us. They signed a lot of league one/championship players, players who were playing regularly at that level.

McGoldrick aside our best signings have been players for whatever reason tumbling down the pyramid.

What we have achieved is fantastic with a budget significantly less than Wrexham’s and Stockport and Mansfield’s.

Whilst we are all disappointed at what seems like what could be a missed opportunity this season, we need to remember how far we’ve come, and that stability as well as progression is key.

We need to improve in January, not just for this season, but for next so we can push on again.

COYP

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast