+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's Football, One of Our Own and SPOTY

Women's Football, One of Our Own and SPOTY

I know a lot of posters on this board think women’s football is a joke, but I for one enjoyed watching the Notts Ladies team play in the WSL a few years ago.

Today, 59,042 watched Arsenal Women beat undefeated Chelsea Women 4-1. The last time women’s football was as popular, the FA’s response was to ban it.

On 5 December 1921, the FA met at its headquarters in London and announced a ban on the women’s game from being played at the professional grounds and pitches of clubs affiliated to the FA, stating “the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and not to be encouraged.”

Apart from this board’s posters who still live in the 1920s, I hope you’re all going to vote for one of our own, England goalkeeper Mary Earps from West Bridgford, the odds-on favourite in this year’s BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The fact Mary Earps is 2/5 and Stuart Broad is 9/1 tells you all you need to know about the SPOTY programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    The fact Mary Earps is 2/5 and Stuart Broad is 9/1 tells you all you need to know about the SPOTY programme.
    In what way? They don't set the odds.

Tell us more.

Who is Mary Earps?

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Who is Mary Earps?
    England women’s goalkeeper - saved a penalty in the final against Spain and spawned a viral gif with her sweary response.

Does the phrase “one of our own” means she’s a Notts fan? Not read anything about that.

She has done nothing this year, if anything, you could say she cost England a place in the Nations Cup semis, with a howler.
    Stuart Broad however chose to exit the game at the highest level, when probably producing the best bowling of his career, and probably the definition of a 'sports personality', oh not to mention having a big say in dragging England back into the Ashes this summer, by hitting his last ball in test cricket for six, and taking a wicket with his last ball in test cricket, to win the game and level the series for England.
    I agree it is only the bookies idea of who the favourites are, but, I wouldn't bet against Earps winning, as the general public do not seem to have a brain anymore these days, and swallow all the msm opinion, not news, rubbish.

She has done nothing this year, if anything, you could say she cost England a place in the Nations Cup semis, with a howler.
    Yep, apart from winning the Golden Glove award for best goalkeeper of the tournament in the 2023 World Cup and being named England Women's Player of the Year for the 2022–23 season she's done nothing. It reminds me of the Monty Python 'What have the Romans ever done for us' sketch!

I've said it before, you live in very strange world where stone cold facts are ignored in favour of something you hope is true.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    I know a lot of posters on this board think women’s football is a joke, but I for one enjoyed watching the Notts Ladies team play in the WSL a few years ago.
    Me too. Even though it didn't rival the real thing in terms of personal passion, I watched a couple of home games in the WSL and went to Wembley for the FA Cup final and enjoyed it all.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post

Today, 59,042 watched Arsenal Women beat undefeated Chelsea Women 4-1. The last time women’s football was as popular, the FA’s response was to ban it.

On 5 December 1921, the FA met at its headquarters in London and announced a ban on the women’s game from being played at the professional grounds and pitches of clubs affiliated to the FA, stating “the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and not to be encouraged.”

Apart from this board’s posters who still live in the 1920s, I hope you’re all going to vote for one of our own, England goalkeeper Mary Earps from West Bridgford, the odds-on favourite in this year’s BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
    Trying to guilt people into supporting your candidate is perhaps the worst tactic there is. I will be looking to vote for someone else just because of what you have posted. Womens football is so over hyped it's laughable I couldn't care less about it and just because it was banned over 100 years ago has nothing to do with anything.

Should we throw our support behind a male player because all football was banned in 1314 by Edward II "...there is great noise in the city caused by hustling over large balls from which many evils may arise which God forbid; we command and forbid, on behalf of the King, on pain of imprisonment, such game to be used in the city in the future."?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast