+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matchday thread: Rams v Wycombe 16/12/2023

Ah well I guess I had to be right with my prediction on time!! Yes it was a shame we didn't win, but com eon folks be realistic, Wycombe came not to lose and its been clear all season that we struggle against negative teams, a little bit more luck and better game management and we would have won and deservedly so, Derby were the only team trying to play.

Me thinks people expect too much from this team, if they were consistently good players they wouldn't be playing at this level!

Its regrettable that misogyny raises its head regarding the ref, on the whole she had a better game than many of her male counterparts in this division, but then I guess the the penalty award has coloured peoples views.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Ah well I guess I had to be right with my prediction on time!! Yes it was a shame we didn't win, but com eon folks be realistic, Wycombe came not to lose and its been clear all season that we struggle against negative teams, a little bit more luck and better game management and we would have won and deservedly so, Derby were the only team trying to play.

Me thinks people expect too much from this team, if they were consistently good players they wouldn't be playing at this level!

Its regrettable that misogyny raises its head regarding the ref, on the whole she had a better game than many of her male counterparts in this division, but then I guess the the penalty award has coloured peoples views.
    Apart from GP’s typical, but probably tongue in cheek, comment I don’t think anyone’s said anything misogynistic have they?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Apart from GP’s typical, but probably tongue in cheek, comment I don’t think anyone’s said anything misogynistic have they?
    Having said that...there is a joke going round that ‘with the introduction of female refs players have been warned that they might get booked for fouls they committed years ago that they thought were long forgotten’. I hope that’s not misogynistic...because I do think it’s (harmlessly) funny.

On here, apart from GP’s joshing, no. Elsewhere online the balance of folk picking on the refs gender and those calling folk with a genuine negative opinion misogynists, ‘gammons’ etc is fairly even. The culture wars continue, thank God for football, even if is dire

Having said that...there is a joke going round that ‘with the introduction of female refs players have been warned that they might get booked for fouls they committed years ago that they thought were long forgotten’. I hope that’s not misogynistic...because I do think it’s (harmlessly) funny.
    Looking forward, and there was a taste of it yesterday, I wonder how things will play out when the honeymoon period of a) players behaving themselves a bit more and b) refs having, on balance, good games comes to an end. I’ve read, and mainly accept, MA’s more expert view on her performance yesterday but I still think she (partly) lost control of the game and if female refs want equality they are going to suffer some hard times, of which 10,000 people shouting ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is only a start

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    On here, apart from GP’s joshing, no. Elsewhere online the balance of folk picking on the refs gender and those calling folk with a genuine negative opinion misogynists, ‘gammons’ etc is fairly even. The culture wars continue, thank God for football, even if is dire
    Ah, sorry...I don’t tend to look elsewhere online as far as DCFC are concerned. ‘Picking on the ref’s gender’ just seems senseless to me. The ‘gammon’ term seems equally unhelpful, but at least it’s a pejorative born out of certain individuals’ expressed prejudices rather than simply expressing prejudice directed at someone’s gender. ‘Culture wars’ or just common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Looking forward, and there was a taste of it yesterday, I wonder how things will play out when the honeymoon period of a) players behaving themselves a bit more and b) refs having, on balance, good games comes to an end. I’ve read, and mainly accept, MA’s more expert view on her performance yesterday but I still think she (partly) lost control of the game and if female refs want equality they are going to suffer some hard times, of which 10,000 people shouting ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ is only a start
    Bit of a contradiction there AF. I’m fairly sure you’re not ***ist...we’ll certainly not overtly so...but by asking that question in the way you have you run the risk of being perceived as such. After all...it’s not as if plenty of male refs haven’t experienced 10,000 people shouting the words you suggest and it’s not as if we haven’t had plenty of rubbish (male) refs over the last two or three seasons. True equality will only be achieved when people barely notice the gender of the officials because it’s not actually relevant...imo.

Ah, sorry...I don’t tend to look elsewhere online as far as DCFC are concerned. ‘Picking on the ref’s gender’ just seems senseless to me. The ‘gammon’ term seems equally unhelpful, but at least it’s a pejorative born out of certain individuals’ expressed prejudices rather than simply expressing prejudice directed at someone’s gender. ‘Culture wars’ or just common sense?
    Yes it is unhelpful rA, it demonstrates the inability, or unwillingness, of those using the term to enter into a constructive discussion. And it refers to a physical characteristic that, looking at the demographic on the forums I troll, doesn’t really apply

Bit of a contradiction there AF. I’m fairly sure you’re not ***ist...we’ll certainly not overtly so...but by asking that question in the way you have you run the risk of being perceived as such. After all...it’s not as if plenty of male refs haven’t experienced 10,000 people shouting the words you suggest and it’s not as if we haven’t had plenty of rubbish (male) refs over the last two or three seasons. True equality will only be achieved when people barely notice the gender of the officials because it’s not actually relevant...imo.
    I’m neither overtly nor covertly so, in fact very much an advocate of female equality in sport as elsewhere In life.

Sorry rA I can’t edit on my phone so I’ll add - I’ve been privileged to spend time/ support/ coach in two sports where male and female genuinely participate side by side (athletics) or together (equestrian) and you will have to believe me that I’ve seen that the reaction to triumph, adversity, injury, criticism etc varies by gender (as it does age, parental expectation and suchlike) and my comment on female refs merely suggests that any such variation is yet to be exposed at the highest level - and female refs may prove more adept, wouldn’t that be great!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)