+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: League Cup Final 2023

Quote Originally Posted by rustlinsweetiepapers View Post
    We did the same against Eintracht, played on the counter attack, created two chances and scored two goals. Today we created one chance (Devlin’s ball across the goalmouth) and didn’t take it.

Fine margins but a strategy which creates so few chances is always going to be hit and miss. I do think we have players with the ability to create more instead of leaving it to Roos to lump long and hope we pick up the second ball. There will always be opportunities for that in a game but not every time we have the ball in our half, please.
    All Sevco had to do was put Dessers in front of our keeper and that forced Roos to always play long, there was never an option to play short and find a willing player. We never looked to play actual ball down and pass and move football and the amount of misplaced passes was infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakkTheMakk View Post
    One was in a dead rubber for us against a team that had nothing to gain/lose
    One we capitulated at the death when we all knew we weren't progressing out of that group
    One was in a major cup final against our major rivals.

Which one was worse and which one would you expect/demand the team to test the keeper?

Sorry but the team doesn't have a winning mentality when it really matters. I can only hope that AFC seriously look at the squad of players and management and instil however possible a stronger mindset.
    My point was that there was a lot of praise heaped on the team for the win against the Germans? Why? Because we were clinical. Same approach, different result. The players mentality isn't what it needs to be but neither is the quality. Too many mistakes, too many players overawed by the occasion.

Clinical but also very fortunate, especially in the first half against the Germans.

We seem to have this habit of just gifting the possession of the ball to the opposing team and you run the very high risk of them finally getting through your defence.

I'm not exactly expecting us to dominate the ball against Frankfurt or Sevco but then when was the last time we actually pressed high up and at the same time we had time on the ball in our own half.

We have little to no belief in our own ability on the ball and you can't rely on hollywood passes like Polvara did on Thu to score goals.

Disappointing result and performance obviously. We could not retain possession and play some football in midfield. It was all hit and hope to our front two. I thought we were better than that but we have a way to go. Don't think Hayes should have started and Shinnie was poor. Would rather have had Barron at centre mid even if he was leaving in January. It was obvious that they would eventually score and we only started to play after that, far too late.

Reckons n we need two ball winning midfielders in January now then ?

Given Barron will be off , so natural progressive replacement to Shinnie and we have never replaced Ramadani?

The most disappointing thing today was that was a bang average sevco team there for the taking but we simply didn't attempt to try to win. Most of our players can actually play football but are simply not being allowed to by a manager only interested in playing agricultural football that is absolutely spirit-crushing.

Why spend £12Million on salaries for players then instruct them to play football like any team with a £2Million budget can?

Feckin booooooooooooo

Was very reminiscent of the 2018 League Cup final for me.

I think you have to give your all in a cup final and go for it and never felt like we did.

I didn't like his post match interview either. We have nothing to be scared of playing them, bar bad refereeing decisions which are outwith our control.

Footballing wise, the hun are not a great team and we showed them too much respect yestday.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post

I think you have to give your all in a cup final and go for it and never felt like we did.

I didn't like his post match interview either. We have nothing to be scared of playing them, bar bad refereeing decisions which are outwith our control.

Footballing wise, the hun are not a great team and we showed them too much respect yestday.
    Aye he needs to get some post match interview tips from Derek Adams.

Just trying to gather my thoughts now after a decent night’s sleep. Haven’t seen the highlights so purely based on what I saw at the game.

For possibly the first time in my life I went into this with almost no emotion, no nerves, no expectation. Less excitement than a Wednesday night against St Johnstone. Was just certain this wasn’t going our way.

First half we just seemed panicky and constantly looking for a through ball for Miovski or Sokler that just wasn’t there. A lack of composure and width meant it our brief time on the ball came to nothing. I thought we looked solid enough at the back although Hayes is at the point where I worry about him more in defence than I do Ruby. I thought we were camped slightly less deep than I feared we might, but we still didn’t try to play football. I didn’t think they were any great shakes and it looked like a single goal would win it.

2nd half I thought we were a bit better, but pretty much more of the same. I thought the substitutions helped. But we left it too late and right to the end we seemed devoid of ideas or creativity. As others have said, there’s plenty of talent in that team, so it’s frustrating as hell. Best moment was Devlin’s ball across the box which was just crying out for a touch.

Don Robertson was atrocious. No consistency at all in his decision making. And there were things that happened in our box that would have been penalties in theirs (Cantwell pulling Gartenmann’s shirt and Duk fouls x 2 - I have seen a couple of these on twitter).

Then the usual wet and endless trip back into Glasgow.

The only upsides were I didn’t come across any gloating huns and had a cracking curry. Walked past Ricky Foster in town but too dim witted to pass comment.

What next? There’s no excuses now. We have to climb the table, and Robson has to show he’s a plan against teams who are content to camp out and play for a point. He has shown that his back 5 and playing on the break, while soul destroying , can work against quality teams if delivered with ruthless effectiveness. But it’s not the recipe for the vast majority of domestic games, unless he’s going to really push the wing backs wider and further forward.

From here on in we’ve got to do much, much better. No more excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post

Totally agree i thought his comments about them beating Betis a few days ago was hyping them up a bit much considering we should have beat them recently.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast