+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical Away Days - Plymouth

Historical Away Days - Plymouth

I went to Plymouth a couple of times in the seventies and we lost 2-0 (Fred Binney 2) and 1-0 respectively.

We were kicking around the lower reaches of the old third division back then playing in front of three or four thousand but had a hard core of away fans (only 1 coach but not always full) and some brilliant mates. We used to go on Riley’s but the longer trips used to be a booze cruise type journey. We used to set off from outside the Millgate at 11 am and get there about 7 or 8 in the morning and wander around town or on Plymouth sound.
    On the 2-0 defeat trip I remember ringing up local radio in Plymouth & he asked me how many we brought & I said that due to the long journey we only brought 53 coaches…lol. We then went to the game and going on a pub crawl then getting back on the coach for an 11pm departure, getting back to Rotherham at about 8am & in bed till Sunday tea time.

For the 1-0 defeat I along with a mate at the time (Mick Fisher) used the trip as a fundraiser to raise money for local children’s charity (I was chairman of the Rotherham 18 plus group at the time) by hitch-hiking down. We set off from J33 of the M1 at 11pm and arrived in Plymouth on Saturday afternoon at 2pm. The major hold up was ring stranded on the Exeter bypass for 3 hours, and ended up getting a taxi (12 quid) to get there.
    Went to the game and joined up with the supporters bus and went to Torquay for the evening. You might recall that at that time one or two of their games were played on Saturday night so some lads went there.
    However, Mick was in CAMRA (campaign for real ale) so instead of the Torquay match or going to the sea front bars, we went to the back street pubs. You know the ones, sawdust & spitoon type places. Not really my scene but I had a few, gave my apologies and legged it into Torquay. Legging it being the operative word as we were chased around town by Torquay supporters ( yes both of em).
    Boarded the coach at 11pm and home early hours.
    As for the fund raiser, we raised £160 and the Mayor at the time (Councillor Eric Manns) came down to the club where we presented the cheque.
    The days of youth eh. Loved the long hauls. Expected to lose but hey ho, it didn’t spoil the weekend.

By the way got the am & pm wrong with setting off. It was 11pm not am.

Great post, Nardendee, and well remembered given the amount you probably put down your neck! Hope those long haul coaches had a toilet on board (or something to pee in!)

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Great post, Nardendee, and well remembered given the amount you probably put down your neck! Hope those long haul coaches had a toilet on board (or something to pee in!)
    Honestly I don’t think they did then. All I remember going home was the revolving coach.😜

Did a couple of similar trips to Plymouth in the 70s but not football related. As an avid parker wearing train spotter Plymouth for the day was always a good day out. British Rail used to run Sunday specials from Masbrough station for a couple of quid. Depart around 6:30am, mainly on freight routes due to Sunday being used for maintenance work on the mainline. Supposed to arrive in Plymouth around noon (often it was more like 2pm) and leave at 4pm. I wondered why the non train spotters/families aboard were doing it. It was great fun for us and a great way to see stock from other regions. Coming home was always cold and slow with often break downs. Back in Rotherham for around 11pm and school the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Did a couple of similar trips to Plymouth in the 70s but not football related. As an avid parker wearing train spotter Plymouth for the day was always a good day out. British Rail used to run Sunday specials from Masbrough station for a couple of quid. Depart around 6:30am, mainly on freight routes due to Sunday being used for maintenance work on the mainline. Supposed to arrive in Plymouth around noon (often it was more like 2pm) and leave at 4pm. I wondered why the non train spotters/families aboard were doing it. It was great fun for us and a great way to see stock from other regions. Coming home was always cold and slow with often break downs. Back in Rotherham for around 11pm and school the next day.
    In those days those trips were my “Raison d'être”

Nardendee, great story pal. Ain't it funny from the back of one's mind as they say, you can pull a crystal clear story out like it was yesterday and that ain't easy to some as they age. Really enjoyed reading that, thanks.

Now onto the current Plymouth away game. I informed the good lady approximately two months ago, I was off to Torquay to see the Millers but it was over a four day period. Now get this, my Mrs hates football.

When we first met I took her to a game back in '84. She absolutely hated that day, the game, everything about football. To this day she hates football as she describes it as a game for over inflated egos getting paid far too much while the frontline of doctors, nurses, midwifes, police and fire people get paid a pittance to bring into life, treat and look after life and there's no comparison. I don't argue with her as I know I'll never win.

I digress. I told her IF she wanted to travel with me, her penance for that would be she had to attend the game at Plymouth...ha ha ha.
    She pleaded to stay in the hotel while i attended the match but no, she has to come to the game. We now have our tickets and she was even cursing tonight that the hotel do a lovely spa and that would suit her better. Not being bullish, but taking the mick, I said no, 'I've bought you a ticket so the match it is'.

She's slightly come around now and told me she was actually looking forward to see us as she wants to know why we are so s.hit these days as I've told her! How do I answer that? X
    Last edited by Brin; 13-12-2023 at 08:28 PM.

Over 2,000 Plymouth fans are making the 400+ mile, 9 hour round trip to QPR tonight.
    Tickets are priced at £37 each and they haven’t won away all season.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Over 2,000 Plymouth fans are making the 400+ mile, 9 hour round trip to QPR tonight.
    Tickets are priced at £37 each and they haven’t won away all season.
    That is brilliant commitment....as for not winning away yet they haven't been to ours so it could all change for them

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    Rowe puts Norwich 3-1 up v Wednesday
    Wrong thread pal gerra grip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast