+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- BBC axe A Question of Sport after over 50 years

O/T:- BBC axe A Question of Sport after over 50 years

I can't imagine why the viewing figures fell through the floor, only the BBC in it's present form could destroy a programme like AQOS.

It had run it's course and should have gone 15 years ago.

Putting a knob like Paddy McGuinness in charge was always going to kill it off.

Although I can't pretend to have watched much on the BBC for years, I know they have a habit of letting shows run way past their sell-by date and then some, whether it's laziness or just lack of new ideas. Last of the Summer Wine was a classic example. I think some of the staff just fancied regular holidays in Holmfirth. Only Fools & Horses, as great as it was, also should have stopped at the moment Del Boy became a millionaire and walked off into the sunset. John Cleese demonstrated his genius when he ended Fawlty Towers after two series, ensuring the script and the characters never got tired, and thus sealing its legacy as one of Britain's best ever comedies.

I watched Question of Sport when I was young, back in the days of Willie Carson and Bill Beaumont, but I found Sue Barker irritating and haven't paid the show any real attention for 20 years at least.
    Last edited by jackal2; 16-12-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

Sadly this is the correct answer.

Don’t see this as a bad thing, although I must admit I haven’t watched it for probably 20 years.

It used to be one of my favourite shows growing up along with MOTD, Star Soccer and Superstars. Life was much simpler then!

O/T :- BBC axe A Question of Sport after over 50 years

The programmes ratings fell through the floor, after popular presenter Sue Barker was given the push, along with a format change.
    Only the BBC in it's present form, could destroy a flagship programme in such swift time.

Is it really worth two topics?

Is it really worth two topics?
    Debatable if it's worth one ...! An absolutely awful program that like you say saw its day many many years ago ..probably back in the eighties!

Exactly. Always on TV, never funny.

Emlyn Hughes and Princess Anne - classic comedy.

[Threads merged]

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast