+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Keeper

Here's the deal then..

Get rid of our academy and save a million pounds per season and get in loads of academy players from other clubs on loan and then use some of the cash to pay for better players..

its the bottom line that counts in any business..

Anyway, back on topic..

What is your recommendations for our match day GK?

Mine is to send the loanees back to their clubs to get more experience to play in the professional leagues..and sign a decent mid twenties GK and there must be dozens around the place..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 18-12-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Here's the deal then..

Get rid of our academy and save a million pounds per season and get in loads of academy players from other clubs on loan and then use some of the cash to pay for better players..

its the bottom line that counts in any business..

Anyway, back on topic..

What is your recommendations for our match day GK?

Mine is to send the loanees back to their clubs to get more experience to play in the professional leagues..and sign a decent mid twenties GK and there must be dozens around the place..
    Send the loanees back. With all our injuries over the last 6 weeks or so, we would have seriously struggled without White and Rowe. But, hey what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Send the loanees back. With all our injuries over the last 6 weeks or so, we would have seriously struggled without White and Rowe. But, hey what do I know.
    Me and you could have turned up with our boots and run the midfield. There is no point knocking when the occupants are not at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Me and you could have turned up with our boots and run the midfield. There is no point knocking when the occupants are not at home!
    No, there isn't!

I wonder how fans remember the old days or refuse to do so..

Its up to the Chairman to ensure we have enough players to cover first team matches and having dozens of academy players around the place should provide the numbers but be aware that youngsters are more prone to injury than older players and btw...

In the old days, all clubs had reserve teams where players were used when needed. And they were all adults too, not children...Its actually why football has gone to the dogs and money has never been so much in football. I'm glad I watched football when it really counted..and kids were kept out of the first teams as it was an adult game at the time. Dario ruined it for CAFC...

As a point of interest Mike I was 7 in 1953 went to my first match. I admit I don’t remember much from my early matches. The spurs match stands out as someone threw my school cap up when Crewe scored their first goal, haven’t seen it since. I went to school in Crewe and was coached (yes coached) on the George’s by Stan Kerrey who had six or seven years at the Alex. Could you see Spurs or indeed any premier league club putting 13 past us today? The fourth division of yore as you describe it bears no comparison to todays division two, modern players are fitter, faster and more skill full.

Quote Originally Posted by CroutonRouge View Post
    As a point of interest Mike I was 7 in 1953 went to my first match. I admit I don’t remember much from my early matches. The spurs match stands out as someone threw my school cap up when Crewe scored their first goal, haven’t seen it since. I went to school in Crewe and was coached (yes coached) on the George’s by Stan Kerrey who had six or seven years at the Alex. Could you see Spurs or indeed any premier league club putting 13 past us today? The fourth division of yore as you describe it bears no comparison to todays division two, modern players are fitter, faster and more skill full.
    Interesting, thank you. L2 or the fourth division does not compare with the old days. The players now are fitter, the pitches are better, generally. But whether they are more skilful today is debatable. Nobody could head the ball like Frank Lord who you will have seen back then. We had some players who scored over 30 goals in a season we signed from Peterboro I think it was. The game was slower but it could be my youth but far more enjoyable as the game was based more on attack with 5 forwards and the players were more spread out on the pitch. Now we can have almost 20 players stuck together in one small area, especially on corners etc, much so that I do feel sorry for the GK's these days as they cannot see the ball lots of time. I'm not certain Bobby Charlton could have scored the goaks he did from distance with todays set up. I can say having watched us from them days to today's game. I don't enjoy them now but that could be just age related and the exhuberence of youth that we all had in the great era of the 60's..

You say you were coached by Stan Keery who was a pretty good half back at the time and he retired to live in Crewe later on as Eric Barnes did. I'm not saying kids and players were not 'coached' if that is the right word but all kids and players trained in the evening and weekdays as we all did as kids. Did you make the grade and did you play for any local teams where we may just have met at the time?

I was 16 when we played Spurs in front of 20,000 at Gresty Road and they played 11 internationals at the time. Nowadays the PL put out academy players until the much later rounds. Nobody was as skilful as Jimmy Greaves. Then or now imo of course.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 18-12-2023 at 10:16 PM.

I'll give MSB one thing - he certainly ups the number of posts on here - if nothing else. Just a shame it's a one track record!
    Anyway I'm not indulging that particular topic beyond this post, I've got better things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Anyway I'm not indulging that particular topic beyond this post, I've got better things to do.
    Me too!!

Ditto. Other than I have to say how can you take anybody seriously who writes in one of his rants "Dario ruined it for CAFC". He has to be on a wind-up which I presume he must get off on. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Ditto. Other than I have to say how can you take anybody seriously who writes in one of his rants "Dario ruined it for CAFC". He has to be on a wind-up which I presume he must get off on. Sad really.
    Hahahh..

Dario was good manager and he gave lots of his life to this club. He achieved some great results. But when he said at a Fan's forum that this club would not exist without the academy. He was acting like the new boy starting school. This club is greater than any academy we have ever had...Stockport and Wrexham shows that even spells in the National League doesn't diminish the ambition to play higher. and they may even play a league higher than us next year. I hope we can join them...The academy as we have it will not succeed as its taking money away from the first team. Maybe someone else is paying for it and all the hiring of the faciities at RH...The Chaurman could tell us...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 19-12-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast