+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another step closer to safety

Another step closer to safety

Additional handrails are being installed in the Derek Pavis Stand to improve accessibility for supporters.

The initial phase of the project, which has been funded by Lifeline, will ensure rails run from top to bottom of the stand’s four central staircases.

Chief executive Joe Palmer said: “As discussed at the recent fans’ forum, handrails have been one of our top priorities as part of our efforts to make Meadow Lane accessible and comfortable for all.

“Following these initial works, which will benefit a significant number of supporters in the Derek Pavis Stand, a period of assessment will be undertaken by our Safety Advisory Group to ensure the handrails do not create any issues, such as impeding exit speeds in the event of an emergency.

“The rails will be installed at the minimum permitted height to ensure any potential impact on sightlines are minimised, however we will of course welcome fan feedback following our upcoming home matches against Doncaster Rovers and Morecambe.

“Subject to SAG and supporter approval, we will then explore the possibility of completing all staircases in the stand.

“I’d like to say a big thank you to Lifeline and their members for covering the costs of this project as part of a significant donation they have recently made to the club, full details of which are coming soon.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...nstall-181223/

Thats really good news, as those steps are dangerous..

I will now switch my ST to the Pavis from the family stand where the steps are much lower! Great news for us oldies!

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Thats really good news, as those steps are dangerous..
    I'm in total agreement, Durham.

I like to be right at the top of Pavis. Fantastic views but coming back down...

Always thought those huge downhill gradients with no protection are an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post

Always thought those huge downhill gradients with no protection are an accident waiting to happen.
    Unfortunately, I’ve seen a few accidents in recent years. I assume we did have handrails when the stand was built, but they were at some point removed due to slowing egress from the ground?

Hopefully I’ll now be able to get my 85-year-old mum to a few games in the spring. I think her banning order will have ended by then, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Hopefully I’ll now be able to get my 85-year-old mum to a few games in the spring. I think her banning order will have ended by then, anyway.
    tx!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post

The only issue with erecting rails down the steps is that they are only 1100mm wide. If the intention is to put the rails down the centre of the steps, then this would reduce the width on either side to less than 550mm. The minimum width for stairs and walkways is 800mm..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    The only issue with erecting rails down the steps is that they are only 1100mm wide. If the intention is to put the rails down the centre of the steps, then this would reduce the width on either side to less than 550mm. The minimum width for stairs and walkways is 800mm..
    Probably worth removing seats either side of the steps.

I think in future years I will look back at supporting Notts County in three phases, (ground wise)

The Cow Shed Years - Took a lot of stick about the state of the ground from schoolmates. But watched some great football.

The Pavis Years - So happy to have a respectable ground, even if it was mostly too big for the fanbase.

The Reedtz Middle Years - a redeveloped ground to acknowledge both a larger fan base and higher building standards.

My point is, our ground is now middle aged, and future planning should start to think about redevelopment options.

Taking seats out either side creates another problem, as they are mounted on a concrete plynth. A section of the concrete would have to be cut away so as to make it the same level as the steps. This would be a massively expensive job..

The biggest problem with removing seats on either side is that my season ticket seat is at the end of a row!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast