+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday thread: Derby v Lincoln

We actually scored from a corner, it must be Christmas!
    Collins in good form. Still think a striker would be a viytal signing, both to keep Collins on his toes and give us a different option - it might just be enough to get us over the finish line if we do make a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    As I said, when rA was slashing his wrists back in September, I'm confident we will be at least top 6 come the end of the season , more than that is dependant upon circumstances that play out over the rest of the season, injuries etc.

Ward it seems should be instructed to stay out of or at least not tackle a player in the penalty area!!

All in all a good night
    Lol...you can’t let it go can you? No ‘wrist slashing’ from me Swaley. Back in September (and early October) I was actually in a much nicer and warmer place but I told it as I saw it. Same as I am - rightly or wrongly - doing now.
    Don’t forget we were in a very similar situation this time last year so let’s just see and hope, as I’ve said, for better additions next month.

As for Ward...difficult to stay out of your own penalty area when you’re playing RB...but if this is an enforced experiment to see if he can replace Nyambe during the AFCON then I think we need a rethink. Wards strengths are, imo, his crossing...not his defending.

Yes...a good night, not much more than competent, but much better than the weekend. Happy Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...you can’t let it go can you? No ‘wrist slashing’ from me Swaley. Back in September (and early October) I was actually in a much nicer and warmer place but I told it as I saw it. Same as I am - rightly or wrongly - doing now.
    Don’t forget we were in a very similar situation this time last year so let’s just see and hope, as I’ve said, for better additions next month.

As for Ward...difficult to stay out of your own penalty area when you’re playing RB...but if this is an enforced experiment to see if he can replace Nyambe during the AFCON then I think we need a rethink. Wards strengths are, imo, his crossing...not his defending.

Yes...a good night, not much more than competent, but much better than the weekend. Happy Christmas.
    So let's say we can't, or can but don't, strengthen (but retain Nyambe and JJ till May). Do you see us falling away like last year or are we better positioned to sustain the push in 2024?

Is the current squad adequate as it stands, always assuming it's not devastated by a rash of injuries?

I know you want a strong charismatic midfielder, but those aren't exactly hanging on low branches shouting "pick me". Another striker perhaps, but history has shown these to be overpriced and in high demand in January. So, if we get neither, are you optimistic that the current squad would keep us in the top 6/ push for top 2?

If Barnsley get a points deduction as *unt keeps fearing, there is a bit of a gap to 7th......

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So let's say we can't, or can but don't, strengthen (but retain Nyambe and JJ till May). Do you see us falling away like last year or are we better positioned to sustain the push in 2024?

Is the current squad adequate as it stands, always assuming it's not devastated by a rash of injuries?

I know you want a strong charismatic midfielder, but those aren't exactly hanging on low branches shouting "pick me". Another striker perhaps, but history has shown these to be overpriced and in high demand in January. So, if we get neither, are you optimistic that the current squad would keep us in the top 6/ push for top 2?

If Barnsley get a points deduction as *unt keeps fearing, there is a bit of a gap to 7th......
    Just my opinion...but if we stay injury free I’d hope we have just enough to remain in contention for a top six place.

BUT!! Much will depend, I think, on the January window and whether we sell the likes of Cashin (almost certain apparently) and Bird. Clearly if we do, the first job will be to replace those two and then we have to hope that PW performs better in the market than I would argue he has done to date...a theory backed up by the fact that most of the current first choices were acquired by previous managers...one in particular.

Best case scenario for me...Cashin is sold for no less than £4m but is immediately loaned back (can’t see us having the same option with Bird). Use the money wisely to strengthen in the generally accepted areas and I can see us challenging for automatic promotion.

Still not entirely sure what brought about last season’s collapse. We seemed so confident and well set in January but then just seemed to carelessly drop crucial points. If we see a repeat performance then, imo, the current management is finished. Hopefully he’ll get it right this time, the new arrivals that have been more than hinted at will be a good fit and we’ll reap the benefit of our much vaunted ‘pre season’, the understandable absence of which was offered as a repeated excuse for our failings last time around.

How about you? Unpredictable ‘rash of injuries’ apart what do you think?

Even if the football isn't quite up to Man City levels the fans continue to turn up in numbers with last night's gate way above the Prem match. 3 points and 3rd place means that 2024 offers hope for a big push to get out of this god forsaken league. Turgid seems the order of the day but if turgid works then turgid it is!
    I Warne we trust, we'll for now anyway🙄

P.S. I fear however good JJ is, he is so injury prone that he can’t be factored in as a reliable squad member. It’s a pity, don’t doubt his ability, but of our front runners only Collins seems reliable - fitness wise - and that’s another issue that can’t be ignored.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 22-12-2023 at 11:53 AM.

Just my opinion...but if we stay injury free I’d hope we have just enough to remain in contention for a top six place.

BUT!! Much will depend, I think, on the January window and whether we sell the likes of Cashin (almost certain apparently) and Bird. Clearly if we do, the first job will be to replace those two and then we have to hope that PW performs better in the market than I would argue he has done to date...a theory backed up by the fact that most of the current first choices were acquired by previous managers...one in particular.

Best case scenario for me...Cashin is sold for no less than £4m but is immediately loaned back (can’t see us having the same option with Bird). Use the money wisely to strengthen in the generally accepted areas and I can see us challenging for automatic promotion.

Still not entirely sure what brought about last season’s collapse. We seemed so confident and well set in January but then just seemed to carelessly drop crucial points. If we see a repeat performance then, imo, the current management is finished. Hopefully he’ll get it right this time, the new arrivals that have been more than hinted at will be a good fit and we’ll reap the benefit of our much vaunted ‘pre season’, the understandable absence of which was offered as a repeated excuse for our failings last time around.

How about you? Unpredictable ‘rash of injuries’ apart what do you think?
    I think we have sufficient NOW to finish top two IF there’s the usual Collective self destruct amongst other contenders, IF Thompson stays fit and gives us a bit of the midfield energy we desperately need and IF the majority of the core team (ie the team Warne inherited, plus Nelson) stay fit

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think we have sufficient NOW to finish top two IF there’s the usual Collective self destruct amongst other contenders, IF Thompson stays fit and gives us a bit of the midfield energy we desperately need and IF the majority of the core team (ie the team Warne inherited, plus Nelson) stay fit
    ...and Wilson? No self destruct from last season’s top two.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 22-12-2023 at 01:45 PM.

...and Wilson? No self destruct from last season’s top two.
    Wilson’s proved unstoppable in short bursts, I’m yet to be swayed that he can sustain over a run. Agreed about last year but it’s not normal form

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Wilson’s proved unstoppable in short bursts, I’m yet to be swayed that he can sustain over a run. Agreed about last year but it’s not normal form
    Fair points.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)