+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rejoice at the arrival of the Winter Solstice

Rejoice at the arrival of the Winter Solstice

The provider of all life on planet Earth, the Sun, marks its shortest length of time shining its rays on our latitudes and the daylight begins to lengthen again. Rejoice. The Sun has returned.

Let all good men bring in meats from beasts and birds on land and in air

Let all good women prepare root vegetables and greens from the earth, make breads from the grains, ferment berries and nuts for puddings and drinks, and much more.

Let those who wish to swap or mix such tasks between men and women do so without fear.

Let all such things be cooked ready to feast and celebrate around four days after the Solstice.

And so it was for generations.

Then the religious lot muscled in and said, "Do not Worship the Sun God. Worship other Gods", and those that chose the Christian God took over the December 25th celebrations for ever more.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 21-12-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Amen.

Sounds like you’ve cracked the sherry open already sb
    Top man
    Go well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle council View Post
    Sounds like you’ve cracked the sherry open already sb
    Top man
    Go well!
    He dosent like any sort of change does he,
    I’m wondering if he’s ever got over decimalisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    He dosent like any sort of change does he,
    I’m wondering if he’s ever got over decimalisation.
    Things have gone downhill since the decreasing use of a "furlong" (except in hoss racing).

A furlong is the amount of land that could be ploughed in one day by a medieval farmer using a yoke of oxen. It was one chain wide (22 yards--a cricket pitch)) and 10 chains long (220 yards). A mile is 80 chains (1760 yards) or 8 furlongs. An acre was simply 10 chains by 10 chains (220yds by 220 yds or 4840 square yards) All gone to become metres, kilometres and hectares. It was all so much simpler in those days

The perch, pole and rod have sadly gone too,

All decimalisation has done is increase the unit of price rises. A 10p rise is considered nowt nardays burritz two shillings, two bob, a florin.
    First class stamps are now £1.25, well over a guinea, having gone up three shillings per stamp in October. Three bob ! Ovva heyf a crarn rise !
    Last edited by SBRed48; 22-12-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Things have gone downhill since the decreasing use of a "furlong" (except in hoss racing).

A furlong is the amount of land that could be ploughed in one day by a medieval farmer using a yoke of oxen. It was one chain wide (22 yards--a cricket pitch)) and 10 chains long (220 yards). A mile is 80 chains (1760 yards) or 8 furlongs. An acre was simply 10 chains by 10 chains (220yds by 220 yds or 4840 square yards) All gone to become metres, kilometres and hectares. It was all so much simpler in those days

All decimalisation has done is increase the unit of price rises. A 10p rise is considered nowt nardays burritz two shillings, two bob, a florin.
    First class stamps are now £1.25, well over a guinea, having gone up three shillings per stamp in October. Three bob ! Ovva heyf a crarn rise !
    Brilliant SB, luvvit

Mi favver always teld mi how much he enjoyed thi posts and thi sense of humour. He mentioned thi regularly on my visits to him when we discussed the Reds and this forum and thaz brought a smile to mi face and no doubt mi favver would've laughed at that too!

Brilliant post by SB , I like SB still live in the imperial world , I still work in pounds , shillings & pence & use the imperial weight measures plus all distances are measured in miles , yards , feet & inches , also when ever I buy anything these days I re calculate into the old way . I went into the local butchers this morning to pick up the xmas meat , I said the butcher that I had ordered half a turkey crown & then promptly asked him that being half a crown that I would pay him with 2 & 6 , he smiled back at me & said that he thought that only me & him in the shop new what I was on about , happy days !!

Ahh '71 ehh, the year I was born and also the year we stopped using that funny money lol.
    Didn't there used to be about 700 of those massive old pennies, in the pound. 💰

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

SB - I’d have loved to have watched you ploughing that furlong.
    Must have been hard graft.
    How the times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ahh '71 ehh, the year I was born and also the year we stopped using that funny money lol.
    Didn't there used to be about 700 of those massive old pennies, in the pound. ��
    240 !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast