+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superleague

Superleague

Today EU court ruled that UEFA ban on any club joining Superleague is illegal.

I dont know what to think about it.
    It is sad state of the game with money overtaking it, but it happened so much time ago, so Superleague or UEFA, what the bloody difference?

Uefa have made this bed

FIFA and UEFA and the Premier league are corrupt to the core and have ultimately screwed themselves up giving the elite clubs preferential treatment for years. Nearly all of the clubs that signed up to the Super League are ridden with debt.

Today's ruling will have massive implications on FFP rules, international tournaments.

This A22 company who are behind the super league think they are sitting pretty, drawing up a new structure.

The ruling also opens the door for other companies to create a league, watch the Saudi's come in and smash them, offering loads of cash

The game is dead

Sunderland plans just been scuppered by EU there.

Ok! I agree UEFA and FIFA should not be allowed to prevent alternative options, they don’t own football!!

However, be warned, I feel a rant coming on!

They should be well within their rights to say the competition is not sanctioned by them… so pick your federation… them or this A22!

Not sure how government legislation might work re: clubs are properties of their communities and protecting the domestic league, but I’m not a fan of them being allowed to compete in both as it will make domestic competition very unsporting.

Let them have their own competition, no grass roots to fund… so money is all there’s, but also no competiton, no jeopardy, no consequence… same teams playing each other, again and again, an no knock out cup competitions for them to play in either, meaning there’s one competition, one trophy per season.

And how much will sponsors really hang around for a season when there’s only 16 games people are interested in? It’ll only be a matter of time before they tinker with the format, double points for last 4 games to make the season finale more exciting, points for goals etc.

Will players really want to go there for that, one chance to win per season? It won’t take long for 1 of those teams to dominate… Will Man U fans really want to support a team that’s the worst in a closed league and never win a competition again??

It’s a kick in the teeth for the loyal fans who go home and away to their games. Stadiums will have home fans in only once the novelty wears off, and the away section will be reserved for ‘match day experience goers’, not a fan of either team but the Globetrotters are in town so let’s go!

Anyway, an opportunity to look at how FFP works, maybe stop thinking that a football club is a football club… let it operate as a true business, worldwide franchises - why does investment have to be only in the world of football? It’s a free market, let them be a business, diversify their sources of income so maybe prize money / TV money isn’t the only thing keeping them afloat?

Ok, so just heard the new proposals… andI don’t understand how it would work…

basically an equivalent to the domestic structure but with teams from European leagues… with the winners getting promoted up through the leagues, and relegations it seems.

However, this to me seems more like a direct replacement for the domestic leagues than the European cup competitions!

Although there will be no right participate, and inclusion is based on sporting merit… It really does still mean these big 12 clubs are protected within the competition as they would need to be relegated through three tiers. And it seems merit only applies to performance in the new league.

Nothing I’ve seen about how domestic achievements work for qualification into the competition.

Is it about placing in the home league? But if they have their own relegation structure Chelsea could finish 12th in the prem but still stay top tier of European football!

In which case, how does someone else take their place without expanding the league each season? Or do we see Scottish, Belgian and Dutch teams drop out entirely to be replaced by 18 premier league teams?

I may not understand this yet… but I still can’t see how this can’t be done without setting up their own federation, kicking them out of all UEFA sanctioned competitions, and stop the players representing their countries in FIFA competitions.

Just something we don't have to watch.

Give me a league cup match anyday of the week.

I'd rather watch something like Bradford v Everton than any of this elite stuff.
    I don't even watch champions league

If they want to join the league let them, boot them out of the Premier league, after a season their fans will get fed up and walk away, having to fork out playing all over Europe every week.

Quote Originally Posted by wearyside View Post
    Just something we don't have to watch.

Give me a league cup match anyday of the week.

I'd rather watch something like Bradford v Everton than any of this elite stuff.
    I don't even watch champions league
    Aye, I have zero interest in a super league.

My worry is, what UEFA want (and their favoured clubs-of which we are not one) is what will ultimately happen.

It has nothing to do with UEFA, That is what the court case is about. UEFA wanted to stop the other company starting up another league

I think the English clubs will be more wary this time after seeing reactions, however, I do think it'll be heavily pushed by the Yank owned clubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)