+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarets v Liverpool Match Preview.

Clarets v Liverpool Match Preview.

Clarets Mad - Clarets v Liverpool, English Premier League Match Preview.
    Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, BB10 4BX.
    Kick-off – 17.30 - 26th December 2023.

Burnley entertain Liverpool on Boxing Day with, yet another made for TV scheduling but not for the fan’s crazy kick-off times. I’m sure however, 22,000 die-hard supporters will assemble in east Lancashire to watch what should be an interesting clash between two teams needing a win for very different reasons.

Burnley go into the fixture following a surprise but welcome away win at Craven Cottage whilst the Liverpool team emerges from a 1-1 draw at Anfield against fellow EPL title chasers Arsenal in another Saturday evening made for TV match-up. They were also held to a draw by a resolute Manchester United last Sunday and there is little doubt Jurgen Klopp will demand he leaves Turf Moor with three points from this game.

Burnley are finally coming to terms with the English Premier League at long last and a recent improvement in performances does at least suggest they can go into this encounter with a genuine chance off adding to their points total. The Clarets currently sit in 19th place in the league table with 11 points from 18 games, Liverpool are currently 2nd with 39 points from the same number of games played.

One’s to watch: The return of Lyle Foster to the Clarets’ ranks bolsters their offensive abilities but it is also worth mentioning that young goalkeeper James Trafford has epitomized the renewed Burnley fighting spirit in recent weeks as Vincent Kompany’s men try to climb out of the relegation zone. Trafford’s wonderful shot stopping ability will no doubt be put to the test on Boxing Day evening.

For the Reds Jurgen Klopp has a wonderful array of attacking options but in Mohamed Salah he probably has the most potent attacking winger in global football at his disposal. I expect Kompany to play Welsh international Connor Roberts to try and nullify Salah’s constant threat. How the Burnley rear-guard will contain the likes of Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz, Jones and Elliot will be seen at the final whistle.

Verdict: It’s becoming increasingly difficult to predict a Burnley score line due to their huge improvement in recent performances; Liverpool must start as favourites but I’m going for a Christmas Miracle and opt for a 2-0 home win. This would replicate a famous win for Sean Dyche when Sam Vokes and Andre Gray both netted to leave Klopp speechless in an against the odds 2-0 home victory.

Footnote: I always looked forward to the feisty exchanges between Sean Dyche and Jurgen Klopp when Dyche was the Burnley gaffer. The Clarets have a new kid on the block now in Vincent Kompany whose geniality shines through. It would however, make my Christmas if Kompany could render Klopp speechless just one more time. (TEC).

Attachment 25457

2-0 home win BT? You stole my score

I sold your car too Sir Chas.

Dave expects Roberts to play to nullify Salah's threat. Well maybe, but Salah operates mainly on the right and Charlie Taylor is our left-back and I can't see Vinni dropping him, so where does Roberts fit in ? He could replace Vitinho but then he'd be on the opposite side of the pitch to Salah so that makes no sense. I expect the back four to be unchanged with Roberts warming the bench again.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Dave expects Roberts to play to nullify Salah's threat. Well maybe, but Salah operates mainly on the right and Charlie Taylor is our left-back and I can't see Vinni dropping him, so where does Roberts fit in ? He could replace Vitinho but then he'd be on the opposite side of the pitch to Salah so that makes no sense. I expect the back four to be unchanged with Roberts warming the bench again.
    Dave writes the post match reports sinkov. Stan used to have one player man-marking the opposition's danger man, I thought VK might want to give it a try?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Dave writes the post match reports sinkov. Stan used to have one player man-marking the opposition's danger man, I thought VK might want to give it a try?
    Sorry mon ami, I should have realised, so you think Vinni is going to change a winning team ? Can't see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Sorry mon ami, I should have realised, so you think Vinni is going to change a winning team ? Can't see it myself.
    He's now playing a settled team mon ami but the odd tweak here and there is allowed. In any event I read Roberts is "unavailable" either through injury or suspension so the idea is a non-starter anyway.

I'm just glad to see VK is starting to pay a bit of attention to what goes on here opinion wise.

Read this morning Twine is being offloaded for £2.5 million and that seems to be cutting our losses and moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    He's now playing a settled team mon ami but the odd tweak here and there is allowed. In any event I read Roberts is "unavailable" either through injury or suspension so the idea is a non-starter anyway.

I'm just glad to see VK is starting to pay a bit of attention to what goes on here opinion wise.

Read this morning Twine is being offloaded for £2.5 million and that seems to be cutting our losses and moving on.
    Must have read my scouting report on Twine, shame really but it makes sense, he should have kicked on at Hull if he was to have any future with us, but he hasn't, so we may as well, as you say, cut our losses, which will be minimal, and move on.

I have to say I have never really liked Liverpool. The town, the grating accent. It always seemed like the gateway to somewhere better whenever I visited. I was assaulted by some vile youth wearing Liverpool colours while I was walking to Turf Moor in March of 1975. I don’t really bear grudges but then I do have a particularly long and sometimes unforgiving memory. As our footballing star began to wane in the 1960’s Liverpool FC under Shankly began their rise to a position of dominance domestically and internationally. Such is the way of things. While they no longer have that swagger of the undisputed champion any victory of Liverpool is sweet indeed if only to wipe that toothy grin off Klopp’s face. I am glad I don’t really bear grudges. Who knows how I might feel if I did?

Talking about Salah...

The little Egyptian wing wizard said,

"Christmas is a time when families get together and celebrate. With the brutal war going on in the Middle East, especially the death and destruction in Gaza, this year we get to Christmas with very heavy hearts and we share the pain of those families who are grieving the loss of their loved ones.

"Please do not forget them and do not get used to their suffering. Merry Christmas."

Attachment 25468

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)