+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlucky today

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I was more peed off by the blatant handball preventing Foster from getting a clear shot on goal.That was feckin obvious.It is totally corrupted.
    Haven't seen it CiB, but the muppets on Sky were saying it was a clear and obvious pen.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Haven't seen it CiB, but the muppets on Sky were saying it was a clear and obvious pen.
    sinkov, from memory, I think that it was outside the area --I could be wrong ---however, it stopped a goalscoring opportunity although Lyle was strong enought to get a shot in anyway. I can't explain anything about some decisions this afternoon. We were robbed!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    sinkov, from memory, I think that it was outside the area --I could be wrong ---however, it stopped a goalscoring opportunity although Lyle was strong enought to get a shot in anyway. I can't explain anything about some decisions this afternoon. We were robbed!
    To be honest I only caught the back end of what they were saying, it's possible one of them said 'clear and obvious handball' and I've assumed they were referring to a pen.

It looked like minimal contact on Duran for the Villa penalty but he went down as if scythed.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    It looked like minimal contact on Duran for the Villa penalty but he went down as if scythed.
    Sterling recently got booked for exactly the same theatrics but it was then rescinded by VAR but still no penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I think previously, although fans used to moan, we accepted that refs were fallible and could get it wrong, but we were told VAR would eliminate the mistakes and put an end to the controversy. Instead we've found that VAR is no guarantee of a correct decision either and turns virtually every game into a ludicrous pantomime where no one knows just WTF is going on any more. How bad it has to get before they do something about it, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I think previously, although fans used to moan, we accepted that refs were fallible and could get it wrong, but we were told VAR would eliminate the mistakes and put an end to the controversy. Instead we've found that VAR is no guarantee of a correct decision either and turns virtually every game into a ludicrous pantomime where no one knows just WTF is going on any more. How bad it has to get before they do something about it, I have no idea.
    sinkov, as you know, I have been against VAR since it was announced it was being introduced into the game.
    My argument has always been that it just introduces more opinions to speculate on what may or may not be a correct/wrong decision.
    FIFA are intent on giving fans the 'perfect game of football'
    You and I know that this will never be achieved, however, in their quest they have changed many Laws of the Game, given officials varying instructions as to their interpretation of those Laws and they will not cease.
    VAR has done absolutely nothing to make the game better as a spectacle and, in so many ways, it is hanging officials out to dry by instructing ARs not to flag for offside, introducing different phases of the gamw, changing the handball interpretation so that nobody has any idea what is or isn't handball.
    A simple game, which for over a century was officiated by three people is now a game, at the top level, which is officiated by no less than 6 people and sometimes, as in the World Cup, there are 9 people involved!
    Sadly, the quest will continue and the onfield authority which officials used to have will diminsih further and players will seek to bend the 'rules' more and more.
    IN spite of all that ---Happy New Year to you both from the north east non-league fraternity.

I can understand Kompany being somewhat perplexed.
    There was the Foster offside which appeared to be too close for even VAR to decide unless they can use millimetres.
    The hand ball to stop Foster was a foul and as it was a goal scoring opportunity he should have seen a red card.
    Berge was a fool to pull the shirt, he must have known based on the previous reffering descisions that he would get a second yellow,
    The last minute penalty was a complete joke there was minimal contact and the dive was obvious to everyone but the referee.
    I though we played well enough to get something out of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I agree Alf-Foster was immense but we were sloppy again in defense.Berge was a fool to give the ref a decision to make but even more foolish was the throw in from Taylor which led to the red card.
    Lots of huff and puff but Villa could and should have scored six or seven if we are honest with ourselves.
    i agree CIB. We were not done by the ref but by poor play and judgment. Taylor had a poor game, his attempt to keep Bailey from coming inside to take a left foot shot for the first goal was pitiful. Berge WAS a fool and though he did well at Fulham I'm still not convinced he is PL material. All credit to Foster, Amdouni and an improving Oshea, and Trafford of course.

I am more and more impressed with James Trafford, he was thrown in at the deep end, and there were worries that playing in the PL behind a leaky defence would destroy his confidence and it would be better all round if Muric was playing.

But not a bit of it, he actually seems to growing in confidence, nothing bothers him, and he is keeping us alive in game after game. His distribution lets him down occasionally, but he is not alone in that respect and there are quite few I'd trust less than him, Turner at Forest is one and I've seen Verbruggen at Brighton, who we tried to sign ahead of Trafford, give two goals away trying to play it out of his area. I'd rate him average in this area, given the pressure he is under playing for one of the weakest teams in the division.

The upside with him is immense, England No 1 in the future, but it won't be with us, we (or should I say ALK) will have trousered a huge profit on him by the time he's the regular starter for England.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)