+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year to all the Maggies in the world

Happy New Year to all the Maggies in the world

From Brisbane....and to 59, remind yourself that you've got powers within you, talents within you, that you haven't even reached for yet. The power of positive thinking will get you through.

My lads moving to Bribane on 11th so if you see a big lad 6ft plus wearing the current Notts top you will know he's mine(irish accent)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    My lads moving to Bribane on 11th so if you see a big lad 6ft plus wearing the current Notts top you will know he's mine(irish accent)

I’ll keep an eye out.

Happy new year from Tokyo. Had my old scarf on in Roppongi.

Happy New Year from Cambridge, New Zealand. I reckon we were the first major country to celebrate the beginning of 2024.

All the best and stay strong 1959.

50 years tomorrow since our first ever New Year Bank Holiday fixture. It was always a normal working day before 1974.

It delivered probably one of our most notable away victories of all time, a 2-1 win at FA Cup holders Sunderland.

SUNDERLAND 1
    Halom 3

NOTTS COUNTY 2
    Masson 30
    Masson 50

HT 1-1

Attendance :- 22,581
    Referee:- Jim Whalley (Lancashire)

SUNDERLAND
    Colours:- Red & white striped shirts, Black shorts, Red socks
    League position before match:- 11th/22
    Manager:- Bob Stokoe

1. Jim Montgomery
    2. Dick Malone
    3. Joe Bolton
    4. Danny Hegan
    5. Dave Watson
    6. David Young
    7. Bobby Kerr
    8. Rod Belfitt
    9. Vic Halom
    10. Ian Porterfield *
    11. Dennis Tueart

Sub: Jackie Ashurst *65

NOTTS COUNTY
    Colours:- ?Yellow and Green?
    League position before match:- 8th/22
    Manager:- Jimmy Sirrel

1. Roy Brown
    2. Bill Brindley
    3. Eddie Cliff
    4. Don Masson
    5. David Needham
    6. David McVay
    7. Steve Carter
    8. Kevin Randall
    9. Jon Nixon
    10. Eric Probert
    11. Arthur Mann

Sub not used

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    50 years tomorrow since our first ever New Year Bank Holiday fixture. It was always a normal working day before 1974.

It delivered probably one of our most notable away victories of all time, a 2-1 win at FA Cup holders Sunderland.
    We’d had two home defeats over Christmas that season, losing to Forest 0-1 and Carlisle 0-3, and Sir Jimmy rang the changes for the New Year’s Day fixture at Roker Park. Out of form Les Bradd and Bob Worthington were dropped. (Worthington was to play only twice more for the Magpies). Jon Nixon took over Bradd’s No.9 shirt, and Steve Carter, playing his first game since early September, took Nixon’s place at No.7. (Nixon was to make only four more appearances in a Notts shirt, plus a handful as a substitute). Jimmy’s final tweak was to swop David McVay and Arthur Mann’s roles. Carter played a part in setting up both Don Masson goals, and Arthur Mann gave a five-star performance in the back line. (Brian Stubbs was missing following a cartilage operation).

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    We’d had two home defeats over Christmas that season, losing to Forest 0-1 and Carlisle 0-3, and Sir Jimmy rang the changes for the New Year’s Day fixture at Roker Park. Out of form Les Bradd and Bob Worthington were dropped. (Worthington was to play only twice more for the Magpies). Jon Nixon took over Bradd’s No.9 shirt, and Steve Carter, playing his first game since early September, took Nixon’s place at No.7. (Nixon was to make only four more appearances in a Notts shirt, plus a handful as a substitute). Jimmy’s final tweak was to swop David McVay and Arthur Mann’s roles. Carter played a part in setting up both Don Masson goals, and Arthur Mann gave a five-star performance in the back line. (Brian Stubbs was missing following a cartilage operation).
    And we’d been thrashed by Sunderland 4-1 in our opening home match that season (after winning 4-1 at Crystal Palace). I don’t think many people expected us to win at Roker Park.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

SUNDERLAND 1
    Halom 3

NOTTS COUNTY 2
    Masson 30
    Masson 50

HT 1-1

Attendance :- 22,581
    Referee:- Jim Whalley (Lancashire)

SUNDERLAND
    Colours:- Red & white striped shirts, Black shorts, Red socks
    League position before match:- 11th/22
    Manager:- Bob Stokoe

1. Jim Montgomery
    2. Dick Malone
    3. Joe Bolton
    4. Danny Hegan
    5. Dave Watson
    6. David Young
    7. Bobby Kerr
    8. Rod Belfitt
    9. Vic Halom
    10. Ian Porterfield *
    11. Dennis Tueart

Sub: Jackie Ashurst *65

NOTTS COUNTY
    Colours:- ?Yellow and Green?
    League position before match:- 8th/22
    Manager:- Jimmy Sirrel

1. Roy Brown
    2. Bill Brindley
    3. Eddie Cliff
    4. Don Masson
    5. David Needham
    6. David McVay
    7. Steve Carter
    8. Kevin Randall
    9. Jon Nixon
    10. Eric Probert
    11. Arthur Mann

Sub not used

Remember it well - what a team, the only player I can’t visualise is Eddie Cliff.

Remember going to Roker Park, can't remember the year, Barnes scored for us in a 1 1 draw, both teams near top of division 3, what an atmosphere with the Roker roar!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast