+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Official January Window Including Speculation And Rumour Thread

If we go up we will need seven or eight players of Championship standard on somewhere near Championship wages to have a chance of staying up.
    The likes of Cole and Connell would need to be tempted to stay with much better contracts than the ones they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    If we go up we will need seven or eight players of Championship standard on somewhere near Championship wages to have a chance of staying up.
    The likes of Cole and Connell would need to be tempted to stay with much better contracts than the ones they have now.
    If we go up - which I doubt - but if we do, we wont be signing players on Championship wages that’s for sure.
    But we have no need to.
    That’s been proved.

But if we try to out compete the opposition by playing tippy tappy football like we are playing right now then we will come straight back down.
    Which has also been proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    If we go up - which I doubt - but if we do, we wont be signing players on Championship wages that’s for sure.
    But we have no need to.
    That’s been proved.

But if we try to out compete the opposition by playing tippy tappy football like we are playing right now then we will come straight back down.
    Which has also been proven.
    I did say "somewhere near Championship wages", meaning not quite the level paid by other clubs, maybe one or two of our top earners would get in the bottom end of the Championship range.

Mael voted best January performer.
    I’d strongly agree with that.

And yet I’ve seen posts on message boards saying that they wanted him to be loaned out during this window.
    Honestly - are some people watching a different Barnsley team to what I am ???

And yet I’ve seen posts on message boards saying that they wanted him to be loaned out during this window.
    He's been gradually improving since he signed. I haven't seen all the January games but he's performed well when I've seen him play so fully deserves it. Not seen Earl play yet, but if him and Pines are decent I think De Gevigney will get the time and support he needs to become an even better player. Liked De Gevigney from the start, he just needs patience and time to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    He's been gradually improving since he signed. I haven't seen all the January games but he's performed well when I've seen him play so fully deserves it. Not seen Earl play yet, but if him and Pines are decent I think De Gevigney will get the time and support he needs to become an even better player. Liked De Gevigney from the start, he just needs patience and time to improve.
    Exactly Arbs.
    Mael is no different to all the other centre backs we’ve had over recent years - he just needs patience.
    I think we have another gold nugget here.
    Big money sale in 2 or 3 years time.

And IMO - Lopata and Shepherd are not as good as Mael yet - but in time they will be.

BTW - I call him Mael because I can’t even say his last name never mind trying to spell it 😞😁

Exactly Arbs.
    Mael is no different to all the other centre backs we’ve had over recent years - he just needs patience.
    I think we have another gold nugget here.
    Big money sale in 2 or 3 years time.

And IMO - Lopata and Shepherd are not as good as Mael yet - but in time they will be.

BTW - I call him Mael because I can’t even say his last name never mind trying to spell it ����
    His surname is Durand. Not that difficult.

He is Mael Durand of Gevigney---like saying Brian Nudger of Pontefract.

Gevigney is a small town in Eastern France.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    His surname is Durand. Not that difficult.

He is Mael Durand of Gevigney---like saying Brian Nudger of Pontefract.

Gevigney is a small town in Eastern France.
    I’ll stick with Mael thanks.
    It’s like Male.
    But isn’t.

I think Mael is decent. Not as bad as some people seem to think but then also not as over the top with him as some seem. I guess I’m on the fence still a bit with him. He’s neat and tidy on the ball, some would even say slightly flash for a centre back, but he’s not quite as dominant in both boxes as I’d want. And he seems to have daft moment or 2. As others have said though, hopefully Pines and Earl can help with that.

I think you are probably right in that he’ll be another name added to the fairly lengthy list of centre backs we’ve turned a healthy profit on.

Nudger you only watch the 2 minute highlights so I am not sure how you can reach a conclusion on any Barnsley player , regarding Mael I personally think there is a player in there but not a centre back , I see him more as a potential midfield defensive player , its ok doing a few Kroyff turns & selling the odd dummy which pleases the crowd but his distribution coming out of defence is a worry, he plays us into trouble on a regular basis & pressing forwards expose his lack of pace but the biggest problem is that physically he struggles with strong centre forwards , he gets out muscled & out jumped , I like to see my centre backs to be able to wall bottom a forward with a clean tackle , I want my centre backs to be commanding in the air & attack the ball , I want my centre backs to be able to head the ball clear or put the ball in row Z if required etc etc , a young Mick McCarthy type & I am afraid Mael does not possess any of Micks qualities and to sum up I did not want him loaned out more left out & with Pines & McCart nearly ready for action then hopefully this might happen , put him on the bench & use him as cover for Connell or in an emergency the defence .

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast