+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Official January Window Including Speculation And Rumour Thread

Who is your third centre back choice Shads if you leave Frenchie out?

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Who is your third centre back choice Shads if you leave Frenchie out?
    Earl , with Williams & Cadden as wing backs

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Nudger you only watch the 2 minute highlights so I am not sure how you can reach a conclusion on any Barnsley player , regarding Mael I personally think there is a player in there but not a centre back , I see him more as a potential midfield defensive player , its ok doing a few Kroyff turns & selling the odd dummy which pleases the crowd but his distribution coming out of defence is a worry, he plays us into trouble on a regular basis & pressing forwards expose his lack of pace but the biggest problem is that physically he struggles with strong centre forwards , he gets out muscled & out jumped , I like to see my centre backs to be able to wall bottom a forward with a clean tackle , I want my centre backs to be commanding in the air & attack the ball , I want my centre backs to be able to head the ball clear or put the ball in row Z if required etc etc , a young Mick McCarthy type & I am afraid Mael does not possess any of Micks qualities and to sum up I did not want him loaned out more left out & with Pines & McCart nearly ready for action then hopefully this might happen , put him on the bench & use him as cover for Connell or in an emergency the defence .
    We don’t sign players like Mick McCarthy anymore because of - guess what - the Game Model.
    That’s right the Game Model.

A centre back or wing back now has to have the ability to run at defenders with the ball at his feet and be good at passing the ball as much as he has the ability to defend.
    Get ready to see both Pines and Earl impressing on that one.

The era of thunder booits defenders that used to kick the ball into row Z are well and truly over.
    Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    We don’t sign players like Mick McCarthy anymore because of - guess what - the Game Model.
    That’s right the Game Model.

A centre back or wing back now has to have the ability to run at defenders with the ball at his feet and be good at passing the ball as much as he has the ability to defend.
    Get ready to see both Pines and Earl impressing on that one.

The era of thunder booits defenders that used to kick the ball into row Z are well and truly over.
    Thankfully.
    Thats fine if you have the players to do that ,however we havn"t & to be honest hardly any defenders outside the top premier sides have those qualities, what I saw on saturday with Earl was some good strong defending , he tackled hard , he headed strongly & cleared the ball when he had to , if you prefer a Mael type defender to a Mick McCarthy type thats fine, one played at the highest level & one is an average third division defender playing in a poor league , he is at an age now where he should be bringing some experience into his game but currently he has potential to improve but he is extremely slow & is a mistake waiting to happen . I repeat what I have said before , I prefer defenders to defend & not fanny about with this tippy tappy tripe , I detest it , we simply do not have the ability to play that way.

Shads - totally agree about the tippy tappy tripe comment.

But that’s not what I’m describing.
    I’m talking about - a defender seeing a space and running into it with the ball - then releasing a good pass going forward.

I’m not describing a constant string of passes amongst our defenders - passes going sideways or backwards.
    As you say - only the top premier clubs have players capable of doing that.

But that’s the style of most football clubs use these days - and Barnsley can benefit from other clubs using that tactic by implementing a high press as efficiently as the one we saw under Ismael.
    Which we have seen (eg Bolton) but we haven’t seen it done often enough.

And at the beginning of this season we didn’t see it much at all - cos Collins didn’t fully understand the job he had come to.

There has been some serious failings along the way here.
    Before jumping on a plane to get straight over here - WHY didn’t Collins fully understand the Game Model used at Barnsley !?!?!

During the first game of the season the Game Model left over from last season was still evident.
    It soon changed to tippy tappy after that game.
    It’s slowly and deliberately going the other way now turning more towards the Game Model - which has been described as direct football or as Ismael called it Vertical Football.
    Theres far fewer tippy tappy passes going on between our defenders now.
    But there’s some way to go.
    Dan has his work cut out.

Thy ent a clue Nudger. It's embarrassing. No style of play has ever been established and no style of play has been continued by any of our head coaches- That's a fact

Collins fully understood what he was coming into , what Collins didn"t expect was the replacements for the departing players to be inexperienced lads who were clearly not ready & what Collins did not expect was to have his captain sold on the final day of the transfer window , he has done a remarkable job with the hand he was dealt & lets hope that continues . Regarding the tippy tappy stuff , did you not watch us under Shopp and Ashbaggi ? clearly we did not have the players then and we do not have them now to play in that style yet Mael occasionally try"s to play it out & he is clearly too slow in body & mind to play that game & he regularly gets caught out , lets get the defence defending & play the stronger quicker lads at the back .

Remember nudger Leicester won pl in modern times with huth n Morgan row z defenders

"Barnsley Football Club can confirm that Oli Shaw has completed a loan move to Motherwell until the end of the season.

Following an appeal process Shaw will head back to Scotland......"

Anyone know what the "appeal" was about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Earl , with Williams & Cadden as wing backs
    Having not seen either Earl or Pines play I cant yet vouch for their capabilities. You would hope they are more up to the job than the previous candidates and on paper they look as though they are, but Ill wait and see before making judgement. When the only other realistic candidate being Frenchie assuming McCart is fit that looks like the way it will eventually play out.

Agree entirely with Cadden (poor defender mind) and Williams as wing backs.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast