Quote Originally Posted by ThePieWhoCameIn View Post
He runs straight towards our right hand post when it's immediately obvious AN is overloaded. As though he's the CB and his (non-existent) right back will do the covering. Then he goes to faux-engage when it's too late. Is this on instructions do you think? He does it all the time that's what makes me wonder.
As crazy as it sounds, you can't rule this out completely. LW is a 'positional' coach, so like Maca was instructed to keep to the central channel only, the defenders could be told to hold those positions.

You'd have to think not though. For any attacker who's got in down the flank, what would they prefer? a) the nearest CB holds his position and protects the area as if it was zonal marking or b) he comes out to fully engage the attacker? I think all attackers would prefer a). And there should always be cover if say Brindley has to cover for Nemane with CBs sliding over, the LWB getting back and 1 or 2 holding mids sliding in. That should be enough to mark forwards and pick up runners.

On balance, you'd have to say it isn't instructions - it's more likely that players just aren't all that good at dealing with those situations. EP said that Brinds was a revelation in the centre. That may be over-egging it a bit, although he was good. I am convinced though that the centre is the least difficult of the 3 positions and could be a bit of a hiding place for defenders not wanting to deal with attacks in acres of space to either side. But Baldwin was always going to get the central position back - he's just the better option there.