+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super Jimbo

Best of luck to JOB. Fine professional. If things don't go well, it will certainly not be for want of effort.

A sensible decision to give JOB the job on a temporary basis. Our longest serving player and how apt he will reach his five year anniversary with the club on Monday having signed on 8th Jan 2019. He knows as much as the fans and anyone where we were five years ago and contrast that to where we are now. Like the fans he's seen us crash to the bottom and rise again.

His commitment, energy, hunger and desire as a player will be the kind of qualities that will be needed in the aftermath of Luke Williams departure to rally the troops to continue with the mission. Good luck JOB.

OK I'm sticking my neck out here and am expecting some flack for it but how about this for a dream team. Burchnall and Jim O'B has his number 2. I think it's agreed that people feel That Jim bob doesn't have the experience and that Burchnall is probably not a natural born leader. So how about the coaching skills of the calm smooth boggle eyed one and the abrasive kick up the arses from the irate mad scotch man , obviously minus any ageist and racist comments aimed at players!?? answers on a post card please

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    OK I'm sticking my neck out here and am expecting some flack for it but how about this for a dream team. Burchnall and Jim O'B has his number 2. I think it's agreed that people feel That Jim bob doesn't have the experience and that Burchnall is probably not a natural born leader. So how about the coaching skills of the calm smooth boggle eyed one and the abrasive kick up the arses from the irate mad scotch man , obviously minus any ageist and racist comments aimed at players!?? answers on a post card please
    Or the back of the stamp

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Or the back of the stamp
    that's one yes then ! x

Have you been on the morpheme again me duck?!

Would you take a Mrs back that dumped you for another man?
    IB left at the first sign of something higher up. He showed no loyalty. Some may argue that LW has done the same, in reality he hasn’t as he already had a relationship with Swansea and unlike FGR are a genuine bigger club than Notts.
    **** IB.

"Jim bob"?

I honestly don’t think IB did enough in his time with us to merit a return, and his subsequent career suggests he’s not really head coach material. We’ve moved forwards with LW, let’s not go back with IB.

Brave!

But I do see your point.

As I said in response to a previous post by yourself, I don't resent/hate Ian Burchnall. I thought his decision to leave us for a club as lacking in stature as Forest Green was a strange one, but even he might now look back on that as a mistake and might be more loyal in future, having learned that the grass at a higher league club isn't always as green (indeed as forest green) as it looks.

If you disregard the discomfort around his departure, then you're looking at a Head Coach who played an important part in the transition of the team to what we eventually saw flourish and win promotion under Luke Williams. Burchnall does play the type of football that fits our identity, does have knowledge of several of the players, and did produce a team that won plenty of games, albeit not quite at the right time to win the play-offs. His biggest problem would be re-building a relationship with those fans who took his departure more personally than I did. I recognise that football's a business and there's not a great deal of room for sentiment.

In other words, I don't think your suggestion deserves 'flack'. On balance, I think it would be easier for the owners to make a fresh appointment without any previous baggage, but if the right 'new' candidate wasn't available, then it wouldn't be a ridiculous move to return to someone you know, and who knows us.

The PR around such a return would have to be handled very carefully, but everything's relative. It's not like we would be trying to sell "the second coming" of a manager whose first spell got us relegated in last place and delivered pug-ugly football, like Steve Thompson. That was one return journey that should NEVER have been taken!
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-01-2024 at 11:51 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast