+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Super Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I honestly don’t think IB did enough in his time with us to merit a return, and his subsequent career suggests he’s not really head coach material. We’ve moved forwards with LW, let’s not go back with IB.
    Absolutely, I'm hoping Jim has picked things from both IB and LW which I believe he will have done and can mould them into his own. It may be just what we're looking for especially short term. I don't think we'll rush into signing a new head coach though which is the right way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Brave!

But I do see your point.

As I said in response to a previous post by yourself, I don't resent/hate Ian Burchnall. I thought his decision to leave us for a club as lacking in stature as Forest Green was a strange one, but even he might now look back on that as a mistake and might be more loyal in future, having learned that the grass at a higher league club isn't always as green (indeed as forest green) as it looks.

If you disregard the discomfort around his departure, then you're looking at a Head Coach who played an important part in the transition of the team to what we eventually saw flourish and win promotion under Luke Williams. Burchnall does play the type of football that fits our identity, does have knowledge of several of the players, and did produce a team that won plenty of games, albeit not quite at the right time to win the play-offs. His biggest problem would be re-building a relationship with those fans who took his departure more personally than I did. I recognise that football's a business and there's not a great deal of room for sentiment.

In other words, I don't think your suggestion deserves 'flack'. On balance, I think it would be easier for the owners to make a fresh appointment without any previous baggage, but if the right 'new' candidate wasn't available, then it wouldn't be a ridiculous move to return to someone you know, and who knows us.

The PR around such a return would have to be handled very carefully, but everything's relative. It's not like we would be trying to sell "the second coming" of a manager whose first spell got us relegated in last place and delivered pug-ugly football, like Steve Thompson. That was one return journey that should NEVER have been taken!
    Great measured response jackal with some very valid points.

Brave!

The PR around such a return would have to be handled very carefully, but everything's relative. It's not like we would be trying to sell "the second coming" of a manager whose first spell got us relegated in last place and delivered pug-ugly football, like Steve Thompson. That was one return journey that should NEVER have been taken!
    I couldn’t agree more with the last paragraph

I remember it being the only time during my time as a fan one of our players got over 15 yellow cards. Just checked - 16 goals and 18 yellow cards in 06/07. Good effort from Jason Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    I remember it being the only time during my time as a fan one of our players got over 15 yellow cards. Just checked - 16 goals and 18 yellow cards in 06/07. Good effort from Jason Lee.
    Yeah I remember there was a bit of kerfuffle about if he got 20 yellow cards he would have missed the first 6 matches of the following season.

Brave!

But I do see your point.

As I said in response to a previous post by yourself, I don't resent/hate Ian Burchnall. I thought his decision to leave us for a club as lacking in stature as Forest Green was a strange one, but even he might now look back on that as a mistake and might be more loyal in future, having learned that the grass at a higher league club isn't always as green (indeed as forest green) as it looks.

If you disregard the discomfort around his departure, then you're looking at a Head Coach who played an important part in the transition of the team to what we eventually saw flourish and win promotion under Luke Williams. Burchnall does play the type of football that fits our identity, does have knowledge of several of the players, and did produce a team that won plenty of games, albeit not quite at the right time to win the play-offs. His biggest problem would be re-building a relationship with those fans who took his departure more personally than I did. I recognise that football's a business and there's not a great deal of room for sentiment.

In other words, I don't think your suggestion deserves 'flack'. On balance, I think it would be easier for the owners to make a fresh appointment without any previous baggage, but if the right 'new' candidate wasn't available, then it wouldn't be a ridiculous move to return to someone you know, and who knows us.

I agree with this, although I think IB would start from a very low level with many fans and a couple of defeats would be very damaging.

I think he would be best for his sake staying as a coach at Wolves.

Unless there's a miraculous turnaround some of these posts look absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I think some of your posts are looking a bit absurd!!

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I think if you read through the posts these are true Notts County fans giving as much support for our temporary coach as they can….does it make you feel better after responding with a stupid comment like this….it reads as though you were waiting for your moment???

It probably isn't the case, but the fact we've all known that LW was on his way weeks ago and we haven't had a man lined up ready to take over may suggest the owners were/are considering promoting the caretaker to full-time option....... or we've been turned down, or somebody is playing hard to get.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast