+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was there in 68 FA Cup Final

I was there on the 18th May 1968 still got my ticket Block C13 in a frame with a team photo in the all white strip.Went to all games except Saints away (Graham Williams finished in goal if my memory serves me right.) Liverpool game away and at Maine Road stick in the memory.

In the summer an Albion X1 played a cricket match v a local cricket club (was it Stourbridge?) FA cup was on display we were allowed to hold it.

Great memories for a Baggies mad 14 year old.

Oh and I was physically sick with excitement a few minutes after that goal.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 06-01-2024 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I was there on the 18th May 1968 still got my ticket Block C13 in a frame with a team photo in the all white strip.Went to all games except Saints away (Graham Williams finished in goal if my memory serves me right.) Liverpool game away and at Maine Road stick in the memory.

In the summer an Albion X1 played a cricket match v a local cricket club (was it Stourbridge?) FA cup was on display we were allowed to hold it.

Great memories for a Baggies mad 14 year old.

Oh and I was physically sick with excitement a few minutes after that goal.
    Hi I was at the cricket match at the Dartmouth cricket club and also held the cup , no mobile phones to capture the moment in those days .
    I also touched the World Cup when it was paraded round the Hawthorns on the tour of the grounds , can't remember which match anyone remember.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi I was at the cricket match at the Dartmouth cricket club and also held the cup , no mobile phones to capture the moment in those days .
    I also touched the World Cup when it was paraded round the Hawthorns on the tour of the grounds , can't remember which match anyone remember.
    It may come as a shock to you but the World Cup trophy paraded around the grounds was a fake

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...KE-trophy.html
    Last edited by phild; 06-01-2024 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    It may come as a shock to you but the World Cup trophy paraded around the grounds was a fake

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...KE-trophy.html
    After all these years I thought I had touched the world cup , hope it was made in England not a Chinese knock off.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Pretty sure Jeff Astle opened the bowling will a spell of decent fast bowling.

Held the Premier League trophy around 20 years ago. At least I thought it was the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Pretty sure Jeff Astle opened the bowling will a spell of decent fast bowling.
    Hi ,It used to be an annual match , good to meet the players and get autographs.
    Whilst raising money for Datmouth Cricket club

I didn’t go to the ‘68 Cup Final, I w extremely short of money having just taken out a bank loan to buy a Lotus 7 racing car; needed to save more pennies to run the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I didn’t go to the ‘68 Cup Final, I w extremely short of money having just taken out a bank loan to buy a Lotus 7 racing car; needed to save more pennies to run the thing!
    Not born. Whether that’s good or bad I know not. Love to see something like a cup final win, though it’s nothing like it used to be I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Not born. Whether that’s good or bad I know not. Love to see something like a cup final win, though it’s nothing like it used to be I guess.
    I may only have been four months old at the time but at least I can say that the Albion have won a major trophy in my lifetime. Whether that's a good thing or bad is open to interpretation but it is what it is.

I'm not going to pretend that I was there because I wasn't and if I got to watch it on TV it appears I've long forgotten said auspicious occasion but I have held the FA Cup.

It was on display at Preston North End before an FA Cup tie we played there years ago and I have a photo with me and a pal holding it aloft while wearing white cotton gloves to protect the trophy.

God knows how many pairs of hands were in those gloves before we put them on but you can be assured we washed ours straight after 😃.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)