+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peterborough United - v - Leeds United *** Matchday Thread***

Peterborough United - v - Leeds United *** Matchday Thread***

Peterborough Utd v Leeds Utd
    7th January@14:00hrs | Weston Homes Stadium

Daniel Farke is expected to make wholesale changes on Sunday lunchtime, as Leeds travel to Peterborough Utd in the third round of the FA Cup.

This will be the 13th time in a row that the Whites have been drawn away from home in this competition, equivalent to odds of 8192/1. The two sides have only ever faced each other ten times before, with the Whites winning seven of these. The Posh have two wins, including a one-nil victory at this very stage thirty eight years ago (1986). The last time these two teams met was almost eleven years ago when Sam Byram's 57th minute leveler earned Neil Warnock's Leeds a share of the spoils.

Sunday will give Daniel Farke an opportunity to look at some of the fringe players before making any decision about loaning them out to lesser clubs. With Meslier serving seeing out his suspension, and Darlow injured (dislocated thumb), third choice shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson should keep his place in the starting line-up.

We could see Charlie Cresswell and Kris Moore back together at the heart of the defence, but with a loan agreement (to Hibs) in the midst, Moore may have to make do with a place on the bench, in favour of Liam Cooper. Leo Hjelde will challenge Junior Firpo for the right back role whilst fit again Djed Spence will probably start on the left, with Ayling making an emotional cameo appearance before his proposed move to Boro is finalised early next week.

Ilia Gruev should win his third start of the season, playing alongside either Archie Gray or forgotten man Darko Gyabi. Wilfred Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony have a rare chance to impress from out wide whilst Farke must choose between Poveda, Gelhardt or McGurk at 10, with Mateo Joseph probably leading the line.

Daniel Farke has been speaking to the media before Leeds United's FA Cup match against Peterborough Unitedon Sunday.

Here are the key lines from his news conference:

Farke confirmed Sam Byram will miss the game with a hamstring strain, with Pascal Struijk and Joe Gelhardt also unavailable. He also confirmed that Liam Cooper is a doubt, while goalkeeper Karl Darlow will be sidelined for around seven weeks with a finger injury.

He said "nothing major" happened for the club to decide to end Djed Spence's loan deal, but that they "analysed the first half of the season and impressions over the festive period" to make the decision. He added that the 23-year-old is "a cool guy with a good heart and we wish him all the best".

He added: "Not one player needs sympathy. It is a privileged position to be a football player. I want to also highlight it wasn't the easiest period for him. Sometimes it doesn't fit and it it doesn't work out, and you have to make a decision."

On whether the full-back position is a priority in the transfer window, Farke said: "No emergency case. We won't fall asleep because we brought Djed in as players were injured at the time. We have several options. If there is opportunity, at the end we will analyse and assess options and we will only do things we are 100% convinced of."

Asked about the risk of bringing in new players to the group, he said: "Wherever I go, I am always careful. One thing is quality and potential of a player, but also we get personality and characters who defend the shirt of a club and love the badge of a club."

He said he is "not interested" in rumours around Luke Ayling's future and that "so far no player is in my office asking to leave", adding: "In the summer I couldn't close the door early enough. I wanted to lock my door with a key. We are in a better situation now as a club and in the table, and everyone is buying into it."

On the FA Cup, he said: "I'm a big believer in cup competitions. I want to go as far as we can. I want to win each and every round. I know it is not realistic we will win the FA cup, but it's a big competition with big history and is an opportunity for us to present our best."

He said they "won't do anything stupid" against Peterborough as it is "more of a game on Championship level". He added: "Top teams in League One have the same quality as teams in the middle and bottom of the Championship, otherwise you can't be compete at the top of League One."

MOT.

We're getting tanked.

(Credit motforum.com)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastAndy View Post

Peterborough Utd v Leeds Utd
    7th January@14:00hrs | Weston Homes Stadium

Daniel Farke is expected to make wholesale changes on Sunday lunchtime, as Leeds travel to Peterborough Utd in the third round of the FA Cup.

This will be the 13th time in a row that the Whites have been drawn away from home in this competition, equivalent to odds of 8192/1. The two sides have only ever faced each other ten times before, with the Whites winning seven of these. The Posh have two wins, including a one-nil victory at this very stage thirty eight years ago (1986). The last time these two teams met was almost eleven years ago when Sam Byram's 57th minute leveler earned Neil Warnock's Leeds a share of the spoils.

Sunday will give Daniel Farke an opportunity to look at some of the fringe players before making any decision about loaning them out to lesser clubs. With Meslier serving seeing out his suspension, and Darlow injured (dislocated thumb), third choice shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson should keep his place in the starting line-up.

We could see Charlie Cresswell and Kris Moore back together at the heart of the defence, but with a loan agreement (to Hibs) in the midst, Moore may have to make do with a place on the bench, in favour of Liam Cooper. Leo Hjelde will challenge Junior Firpo for the right back role whilst fit again Djed Spence will probably start on the left, with Ayling making an emotional cameo appearance before his proposed move to Boro is finalised early next week.

Ilia Gruev should win his third start of the season, playing alongside either Archie Gray or forgotten man Darko Gyabi. Wilfred Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony have a rare chance to impress from out wide whilst Farke must choose between Poveda, Gelhardt or McGurk at 10, with Mateo Joseph probably leading the line.

Daniel Farke has been speaking to the media before Leeds United's FA Cup match against Peterborough Unitedon Sunday.

Here are the key lines from his news conference:

Farke confirmed Sam Byram will miss the game with a hamstring strain, with Pascal Struijk and Joe Gelhardt also unavailable. He also confirmed that Liam Cooper is a doubt, while goalkeeper Karl Darlow will be sidelined for around seven weeks with a finger injury.

He said "nothing major" happened for the club to decide to end Djed Spence's loan deal, but that they "analysed the first half of the season and impressions over the festive period" to make the decision. He added that the 23-year-old is "a cool guy with a good heart and we wish him all the best".

He added: "Not one player needs sympathy. It is a privileged position to be a football player. I want to also highlight it wasn't the easiest period for him. Sometimes it doesn't fit and it it doesn't work out, and you have to make a decision."

On whether the full-back position is a priority in the transfer window, Farke said: "No emergency case. We won't fall asleep because we brought Djed in as players were injured at the time. We have several options. If there is opportunity, at the end we will analyse and assess options and we will only do things we are 100% convinced of."

Asked about the risk of bringing in new players to the group, he said: "Wherever I go, I am always careful. One thing is quality and potential of a player, but also we get personality and characters who defend the shirt of a club and love the badge of a club."

He said he is "not interested" in rumours around Luke Ayling's future and that "so far no player is in my office asking to leave", adding: "In the summer I couldn't close the door early enough. I wanted to lock my door with a key. We are in a better situation now as a club and in the table, and everyone is buying into it."

On the FA Cup, he said: "I'm a big believer in cup competitions. I want to go as far as we can. I want to win each and every round. I know it is not realistic we will win the FA cup, but it's a big competition with big history and is an opportunity for us to present our best."

He said they "won't do anything stupid" against Peterborough as it is "more of a game on Championship level". He added: "Top teams in League One have the same quality as teams in the middle and bottom of the Championship, otherwise you can't be compete at the top of League One."

MOT.

We're getting tanked.

(Credit motforum.com)
    "We're getting tanked" is too succinct to provide enough information as to potential score and is a significant deviation from the normal practice. For instance does it mean we lose 1-0 or are you leaning towards a 4-0 drubbing? I think an amendment is required. Normal order needs to be restored, or i cannot get on with my day.

We will win 0 - 2.

Enjoy your day.

Could do with the win for the fringe players confidence but the league is obviously far more important.

By the way anyone watch the Sunderland v Newcastle match?

Jack Clarke had a stinker and looked very poor albeit against a quality side.

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastAndy View Post
    We will win 0 - 2.

Enjoy your day.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Could do with the win for the fringe players confidence but the league is obviously far more important.

Maybe he is back on the energy drinks 🤔🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post

Newcastle came back to the party, were by far the better team, despite some of the Sunderland players doing some sterling work. Not sure Clarke was that poor. just came up against a team that figured him out and effectively negated his speed and footwork. Might be a game that helps keep Howe in his job (for a while at least!).

Looking forward to this game,Posh have a decent side and play some very good attacking football. Not too sure about their defence though..

Them 1 - 2 Leeds

Bamford. 36

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Them 1 - 2 Leeds

Bamford. 36
    I realise you drive on the wrong side of the road but you have also posted on the wrong thread.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)