+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The next 4 matches

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    The more in the away stand = £££
    I know I am going to be highly criticised for this but here goes anyway.
    I usually sit in the Pavis Block C just a few rows back. The wall of noise coming at me from the Mansfield fans was significantly louder than from the Kop. ( and that was before they scored )
    Now this isn’t a criticism of the Kop because there is a fantastic atmosphere in there. I think it is to do with the design of the stands. The Jimmy Sirrel stand has a low roof and the sound just seems to spill out from it on to the pitch.
    The way some are talking they would be happy with 6000 or 8000 oppo fans in the ground. Selling the 3 points for £££.
    Serious question here for everyone to think on.
    At what level of away support would we lose our home advantage? Assuming of course that we all believe in the concept of home advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    I usually sit in the Pavis Block C just a few rows back. The wall of noise coming at me from the Mansfield fans was significantly louder than from the Kop. ( and that was before they scored )
    Now this isn’t a criticism of the Kop because there is a fantastic atmosphere in there. I think it is to do with the design of the stands. The Jimmy Sirrel stand has a low roof and the sound just seems to spill out from it on to the pitch.
    The way some are talking they would be happy with 6000 or 8000 oppo fans in the ground. Selling the 3 points for £££.
    At what level of away support would we lose our home advantage? Assuming of course that we all believe in the concept of home advantage.
    Exactly, and who won that game? Those 3 points dropped at home could be the difference come the end of the season whether we make the play offs or not. The money made from promotion far outweighs the money lost for a couple of games a season.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Everton 1984 FAC QF felt like an away game, though that feeling was compounded by the fact I was forced to watch from the main stand for the fist time.

It can't be right leaving seats empty when you could sell them, but at the same time some people probably are underestimating just how much of a help a big following can be for the opposition.

I'm not sure if there is a solution, but it cannot be giving the kop back to away fans unless we're absolutely certain that a full Sirrel stand is noisier than a full Kop and that we could fill the Sirrel regularly with home fans and - most importantly of all - that the noisier home fans would be allowed to occupy the central area and not be pushed to the sides by making the centre seats pricier, as was the case before 2008 or whenever the switch was.
    Seeing that it's only a problem a few times a season, the case for leaving as is probably wins out, but if we were to climb higher then it will be something that needs to be looked at, especially when you factor in the likelihood of safe standing - which I think the CEO has mentioned as a future prospect.

Wan't the switch originally made because away fans in the Kop were louder than the fans in the JS?

If our home following continues to grow, what would need to be done to house away fans in what is currently the family stand? I actually have no idea as have not actually been in there apart from a box. I know it is behind a goal, but at least then they are limited to something like 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Wan't the switch originally made because away fans in the Kop were louder than the fans in the JS?
    Yes, but that was with the vocal support all bunched up at the back of Z block (on the extreme right as viewed from the pitch). I can't recall us ever trying a sit anywhere you like experiment in the Sirrel, or at least not for a game that mattered. Having the more partisan home fans in the centre could be a revelation, certainly if they were standing. If safe standing can only be done in that stand and not the Kop (because of the incline) then that may be the future of Meadow Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by PTID1862 View Post
    If our home following continues to grow, what would need to be done to house away fans in what is currently the family stand? I actually have no idea as have not actually been in there apart from a box. I know it is behind a goal, but at least then they are limited to something like 2k.
    This is what I’d look at doing at some point.

I’d like to add that this isn’t just a Notts problem. I watched a fair few games over the weekend and it was noticeable that away followings were generally louder than home support.
    I feel that this is largely down to folk who travel to away games being more vociferous in their support for the team. I don’t know if it’s ale or just the enjoyment of an away day - I know I prefer away games to home because yes it’s a day out but also a siege mentality as we are outnumbered.

Quote Originally Posted by PTID1862 View Post
    Police wouldn't allow that as it would mean fans passing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Police wouldn't allow that as it would mean fans passing each other.
    Surely, that is what happens now? At least for those that do not arrive by coach anyway.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast