+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 📺Interview: Jim O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Only performances and results will tell, if indeed he's given time to be judged. My observations above certainly don't come from a sentimental viewpoint, more a practical one that he knows and understands the Luke Williams style of play. Whether he has the decision-making, man management and motivational skills to go with that is anyone's guess at this stage.

What I would say is that Head Coaches and Managers all have to start somewhere and the good ones will tend to identify themselves. Experience can only be accumulated over time, but the qualities to be a leader/head coach/manager are probably a natural part of someone's personality rather than something that can be learnt. If Jim has those qualities then the rest will follow. If he doesn't, then he's probably only destined to hold the fort.
    At least he lives near enough to be able to go home every night...So there are no worries about being home sick...

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    We need him on the field playing to help add experience to the team so I hope them Reez chaps get a move on and get a manager in ASAP.
    Who's the Reez chaps you mention

One thing for sure is that along with some of the learning from LW, hecwill bring a lot of true grit into the team.
    He's as hard as nails & then some, he's had some injuries playing for us that would retire most players.
    Best of luck Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    One thing for sure is that along with some of the learning from LW, hecwill bring a lot of true grit into the team.
    He's as hard as nails & then some, he's had some injuries playing for us that would retire most players.
    Best of luck Jim.
    I hope Jim lets the one about Nemane playing wing back go thru one ear and out of the other..

Lets face it, Luke Williams' system worked brilliantly in the National League, but it kept being found out in League 2. It isn't far off and none of us know if we had the right players or the system needed tweaking.

Jim O'Brien played under the system and worked alongside Luke Williams. He might be the man who can make it work better.

There's a fantastic saying, 'Out of adversity comes opportunity'. Williams ended up at Notts because of something that made him move from Swansea, maybe Jimbo can be our knight in shining armour.

Lets hope he is.

Whilst I want the new manager in as soon as possible, I think it would be better to take 2 or 3 weeks rather than 2 or 3 days if it helps get the right person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Lets face it, Luke Williams' system worked brilliantly in the National League, but it kept being found out in League 2. It isn't far off and none of us know if we had the right players or the system needed tweaking.

Jim O'Brien played under the system and worked alongside Luke Williams. He might be the man who can make it work better.

There's a fantastic saying, 'Out of adversity comes opportunity'. Williams ended up at Notts because of something that made him move from Swansea, maybe Jimbo can be our knight in shining armour.

Lets hope he is.
    If LW liked Swansea that much, then why did he leave ???

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    If we're looking for someone to give us continuity from Luke Williams, then Jim O'Brien represents our best chance, simply because he has trained in Luke's system for 18 months and has literally been learning how to coach under Luke's tutelage.

Ideally, Jim would have had more time with Luke, as he says himself, but they worked together long enough for him to understand the fundamentals, and after that it's the same for any new coach in that you have to be true to yourself in terms of the way you manage players and the decisions you make.

I wouldn't be surprised if the brothers give themselves some time to look at what Jim can do alongside the coaching staff, rather than rushing any new appointments. If they like what they see in terms of playing style and results, then it gives them an option. The support of the fans should be a given, because the respect for Jim as a player is universal and everyone will know the challenge he's taken on. It's then for the brothers to decide what the long-term future should be.
    Our success has been built on finding great young head coaches with a proven track record. With the best will in the world, JOB doesn’t have that. I could easily see him becoming part of the management team, though, working for the new head coach and his assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    As much as I love Jim I can't see him as the long term solution, but he is the best we can hope for in the short term. I hope he does well enough to give the brothers a bit of breathing space.
    Exactly this,if the brothers feel he might have the potential to be a head coach in the future then they would possibly keep him at the club and groom him from within.Now would be to much to soon as a long term fix.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    If LW liked Swansea that much, then why did he leave ???
    Because things weren't right. Official reason:

https://swansea.*************.co.uk/...ams-departure/

I'm sure if you ask or look on the Swansea board you'll discover more.

But whatever/whoever the problem was it's no longer an issue.

He clearly prefers Swansea to anywhere else (wife?).

Have you ever moved?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast