+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 📺Interview: Jim O'Brien

📺Interview: Jim O'Brien

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's unfazed but he certainly seems up for it. Go Jimbo Go.

Sounded gutted at losing Luke but a true professional. Jim has been the one constant since relegation and he serves all our support. GOOD LUCK JIM COYP

Don't think he should be in charge for long, I would prefer us to get someone in ASAP but that won't stop me from wishing him and the team all the best for however long it is. I support Notts County FC so want what's best for the club. A win at Grimsby would be a massive tonic for us all.

If we're looking for someone to give us continuity from Luke Williams, then Jim O'Brien represents our best chance, simply because he has trained in Luke's system for 18 months and has literally been learning how to coach under Luke's tutelage.

Ideally, Jim would have had more time with Luke, as he says himself, but they worked together long enough for him to understand the fundamentals, and after that it's the same for any new coach in that you have to be true to yourself in terms of the way you manage players and the decisions you make.

I wouldn't be surprised if the brothers give themselves some time to look at what Jim can do alongside the coaching staff, rather than rushing any new appointments. If they like what they see in terms of playing style and results, then it gives them an option. The support of the fans should be a given, because the respect for Jim as a player is universal and everyone will know the challenge he's taken on. It's then for the brothers to decide what the long-term future should be.

Personally I think the brothers look for untapped experience and try and give it the opportunity to flourish. Unfortunately I just dont think JOB fits into this remit no matter how much love there is in the room for him.i think there is a lot of wishful thinking around this.

We need him on the field playing to help add experience to the team so I hope them Reez chaps get a move on and get a manager in ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Personally I think the brothers look for untapped experience and try and give it the opportunity to flourish. Unfortunately I just dont think JOB fits into this remit no matter how much love there is in the room for him.i think there is a lot of wishful thinking around this.
    As much as I love Jim I can't see him as the long term solution, but he is the best we can hope for in the short term. I hope he does well enough to give the brothers a bit of breathing space.

He’s not ready and he will be needed on the pitch this year. It would be unfair in my opinion to actually give him the job, I’d just give him more responsibility going forward to see how he handles it.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Only performances and results will tell, if indeed he's given time to be judged. My observations above certainly don't come from a sentimental viewpoint, more a practical one that he knows and understands the Luke Williams style of play. Whether he has the decision-making, man management and motivational skills to go with that is anyone's guess at this stage.

What I would say is that Head Coaches and Managers all have to start somewhere and the good ones will tend to identify themselves. Experience can only be accumulated over time, but the qualities to be a leader/head coach/manager are probably a natural part of someone's personality rather than something that can be learnt. If Jim has those qualities then the rest will follow. If he doesn't, then he's probably only destined to hold the fort.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast