+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Middlesbrough Vs Chelsea

Middlesbrough Vs Chelsea

Ref bottled it already, cert pen for Middlesbrough. I wonder if it had been the other way round.

That Barlaser can play a bit. His pass completion stats must be phenomenal. Boro stole him from his previous club !!

1-0 Middlesbrough H-T.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    That Barlaser can play a bit. His pass completion stats must be phenomenal. Boro stole him from his previous club !!
    Apparently not. His previous club failed to act early enough to look after his interests and offer him the decent wage for a Championship player. Similar to many other players of RUFC who also left under similar circumstances. One has to ask the question why does such a club allow all it's best players to leave under such circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Apparently not. His previous club failed to act early enough to look after his interests and offer him the decent wage for a Championship player. Similar to many other players of RUFC who also left under similar circumstances. One has to ask the question why does such a club allow all it's best players to leave under such circumstances?
    Because if you look after the interests of a particular player ( like Barlaser) the rest of the squad will want similar treatment

Next thing you know is that the squad wage bill is unsustainable and the club goes bust

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Because if you look after the interests of a particular player ( like Barlaser) the rest of the squad will want similar treatment

Next thing you know is that the squad wage bill is unsustainable and the club goes bust
    Don't agree. You only pay the ones who are the better players. Any club should be able to stand up to lesser players and point how why, the Barlaser types get paid more. If they don't like it, then release them or, they can buck up and offer more. Sounds harsh but true.

Don't agree. You only pay the ones who are the better players. Any club should be able to stand up to lesser players and point how why, the Barlaser types get paid more. If they don't like it, then release them or, they can buck up and offer more. Sounds harsh but true.
    But for quite a few seasons the club was deliberately avoiding the confrontational approach to management

My way or highway was more Steve Evans philosophy

I always get the impression. You sign, we will help better your career. Basically you sign , we won’t stand in your way if bigger clubs come knocking. Probably rightly so , but suppose this bosman ruling hasn’t helped clubs like us . The Ogbene deal doesn’t sit right with me . Luton get him for free , we basically developed his career and end up with nothing. How’s that right . Luton could go down and sell him for 10, 15, 20 million and we get nothing . Never right . Clubs like us just get exploited by clubs with money.

Chieo didn't we take option up of the extra year on his contract then decide that he'd be more value for us keeping us up than selling him? Being over 24 then he goes for free that's ruling that doesn't sit right for the selling club when a players been there on a long term contract.

I tend to agree Brin, and having better players obviously benefits the whole team.

But some players, or rather their agents possibly, are very short sighted.

Your post did remind me of this story about Tommy Doherty and Tom Finney at. PNE.

"
    Tom (Finney) was on £14 a week in the playing season and £14 in the summer, I was on £10 in the playing season and £8 in the summer.

I had a decent game, so when I went back to Preston on the Monday morning I saw Bill Scott, the manager.

He said ‘many congratulations Tom on your performance’. I told him it went very well for me, whilst the chairman, who was there, added ‘you did really well, but tell me son, why are you in here on a day off, Monday is normally your day off?’.

I told him that old cliché ‘while the irons hot, strike good and hard’ and that from now on, I wanted the same money as Finney, £14 all the year round. He said ‘you’re not as good a player as Tom’, I said, ‘I am in the summer!‘"

😆

I could only remember the gist of the story so googled it for the actual quote.