+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Cresswell Dilemma ?

Charlie Cresswell Dilemma ?

So, Charlie Cresswell out of Leeds first-team picture as Daniel Farke says defender not ‘mentally ready’ to play.

Farke says the situation has been laid out clearly for the homegrown defender, he either makes it clear to the manager he wants to fight for a place or finds a club where he does want to play football. The German understands Cresswell’s perspective, but will not bow to the youngster’s wishes.

The ball is in his court,” said Farke. “We spoke about it. I said ‘Listen, we use January right now. Either you find a solution you want to play for a different club or you come to me and tell me ‘I'm happy to be number four, totally committed and I know I have to wait for my chance.

I have to work for it every day in training and when there is a chance, I'm excited and play with enthusiasm in order to make the next step, then to grab perhaps centre-back number three spot and then perhaps to be the starting line-up.’'

Cresswell was not even in the FA Cup squad at Peterborough United on Sunday and might have hoped for a chance at Cardiff City this weekend with Struijk and Cooper injured. However, Farke has made it clear he will not be picked until there is a resolution which clears the defender’s head.

We spoke about this situation, Farke said.
    Charlie said ‘Listen, boss, I totally appreciate everything and all the trust, but for me, it's difficult because I'm not happy to be just centre-back number four. I want to be in the top two and I rate myself as a starter here for Leeds United.’'

Farkes states, “Yes, it could be he's right and I'm wrong in that I choose Joe Rodon and Pascal Struijk. So there is no guarantee I'm always right, but I'm in the chair and I have to make the decisions.”

So wadda we do folks - thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    So, Charlie Cresswell out of Leeds first-team picture as Daniel Farke says defender not ‘mentally ready’ to play.

Farke says the situation has been laid out clearly for the homegrown defender, he either makes it clear to the manager he wants to fight for a place or finds a club where he does want to play football. The German understands Cresswell’s perspective, but will not bow to the youngster’s wishes.

The ball is in his court,” said Farke. “We spoke about it. I said ‘Listen, we use January right now. Either you find a solution you want to play for a different club or you come to me and tell me ‘I'm happy to be number four, totally committed and I know I have to wait for my chance.

I have to work for it every day in training and when there is a chance, I'm excited and play with enthusiasm in order to make the next step, then to grab perhaps centre-back number three spot and then perhaps to be the starting line-up.’'

Cresswell was not even in the FA Cup squad at Peterborough United on Sunday and might have hoped for a chance at Cardiff City this weekend with Struijk and Cooper injured. However, Farke has made it clear he will not be picked until there is a resolution which clears the defender’s head.

Charlie said ‘Listen, boss, I totally appreciate everything and all the trust, but for me, it's difficult because I'm not happy to be just centre-back number four. I want to be in the top two and I rate myself as a starter here for Leeds United.’'

Farkes states, “Yes, it could be he's right and I'm wrong in that I choose Joe Rodon and Pascal Struijk. So there is no guarantee I'm always right, but I'm in the chair and I have to make the decisions.”

IMHO Farke needs to grow up a bit and not sulk when players are asking for first team minutes and why they are not playing.

He has been good for us but does seem a little arrogant at times in the face of legitimate questions from journalists.

He seems to have bombed Spence out for the same reason.

If Charlie doesn’t understand what is required of him then maybe the coaching team should explain it to him a bit better. Seen him play in the flesh a couple of times and he looks very very good so bit of a mystery.

Millwall spoke glowingly of his attitude as did Bielsa so who knows what has kicked off.

He also has a very talented younger brother so god knows how it will affect him too.

His agents also act for a lot of other Leeds players so not a great move to get them offside.

Farke is clearly a very experienced and talented coach but doesn’t mean he is infallible and perhaps he has a bit of growing to do too.

Cresswell
    Spence
    Joffy
    Hjelde
    Drameh
    Gyabi
    Poveda
    Perkins
    Joseph etc

Numbers suggest something up at the mill.

Loan Cooper keep creswell

Firstly, none of the statements made should be in the public domain, discussions like this should be behind closed doors, at least until a conclusion is reached, and then make that known via the "normal" channels.

Secondly, just wtf was the point of loaning him out to Millwall if it wasn't find out if he can hack it, and if the response from that quarter is anything to go by, then he can!

Thirdly, if Farke really does feel that he has to expose what should be an internal conversation to the public, perhaps he can develop a slightly less arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude when addressing the legitimate ambitions of a player who has done just about all that a youth player can do to show he should be given an opportunity or two, bit like Gray!

With Spence departed, Gruev really not having established himself in the 1st team, Struijk and Byram injured, just when is Cresswell to be featyred?

And a brief postscript;

https://motleedsnews.com/news/deal-a...n-exit-agreed/

Apparently we have "strength in depth", don't you know!
    Last edited by WTF11; 11-01-2024 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    IMHO Farke needs to grow up a bit and not sulk when players are asking for first team minutes and why they are not playing.

He has been good for us but does seem a little arrogant at times in the face of legitimate questions from journalists.

He seems to have bombed Spence out for the same reason.

If Charlie doesn’t understand what is required of him then maybe the coaching team should explain it to him a bit better. Seen him play in the flesh a couple of times and he looks very very good so bit of a mystery.

Millwall spoke glowingly of his attitude as did Bielsa so who knows what has kicked off.

He also has a very talented younger brother so god knows how it will affect him too.

His agents also act for a lot of other Leeds players so not a great move to get them offside.

Farke is clearly a very experienced and talented coach but doesn’t mean he is infallible and perhaps he has a bit of growing to do too.

Cresswell
    Spence
    Joffy
    Hjelde
    Drameh
    Gyabi
    Poveda
    Perkins
    Joseph etc
    Numbers suggest something up at the mill.
    A few clubs throughout 2023 made "tentative enquiries" about Struijk, lest we forget.
    Rodon is a loanee currently, pending a transfer ? to where ?

Yes, Charlie was given a new contract by the club before the Rodon opportunity arose & obviously we had an aging Cooper too & Ampadu also, who played mostly centre-back for Exeter before we nabbed him.

So not sure Farke needs to grow a pair Hopey as that situation then is not the situation now.
    If we falter this season cannot see Pascal, Rodon or Cooper being retained or Ampadu.

As i've prior stated a few need shifting out now & defo this summer, for sure.
    With some respect the club bought Cresswell through to his current stage but to be in "top two" centre-back pairing aint an easy call currently.

A few clubs throughout 2023 made "tentative enquiries" about Struijk, lest we forget.
    Rodon is a loanee currently, pending a transfer ? to where ?

Yes, Charlie was given a new contract by the club before the Rodon opportunity arose & obviously we had an aging Cooper too & Ampadu also, who played mostly centre-back for Exeter before we nabbed him.

So not sure Farke needs to grow a pair Hopey as that situation then is not the situation now.
    If we falter this season cannot see Pascal, Rodon or Cooper being retained or Ampadu.

As i've prior stated a few need shifting out now & defo this summer, for sure.
    With some respect the club bought Cresswell through to his current stage but to be in "top two" centre-back pairing aint an easy call currently.
    Didn’t say grow a pair said grow up a bit. I agree for once with the sensitive one a lot of what was said should not be in the public domain.

It was also contradictory and he basically said he isn’t going to pick Cresswell until he accepts he is number 4 in the pecking order and starts towing whatever the Farke line is. Pathetically immature from Farke and very bad man management.

Cresswell has hardly any minutes at all this season so will be worried about stagnating. Maybe he isn’t playing him as he doesn’t want to give him the chance to prove how good he is.

It was Charlies Dad on his Instagram account who let the "situation" to be known.
    Farke was then obviously asked about "what was actually going on" by journalists today.

So i'd suggest an Agent is lurking & keen to find out who is staying who is going on behalf of his client.

It was Charlies Dad on his Instagram account who let the "situation" to be known.
    Farke was then obviously asked about "what was actually going on" by journalists today.

So i'd suggest an Agent is lurking & keen to find out who is staying who is going on behalf of his client.
    Listen to the interview Farke questioned Creaswell’s attitude (Jesse Marsch would have been proud of the contradictions in some of it) and that he sees himself as a starter.

Basically, said not picking Charlie for any squad until his attitude improves and if Charlie is not happy he can leave.

Cresswell is a talented kid still and no one has ever questioned his attitude negatively before. He is also popular within the squad by all accounts - sure the rest of the young players are super impressed.

There seems to be a pattern with Farke and young players given what is happening with our youngsters.

Farke, Damn well right to come out & re-state his case on Cresswell current situation, imo.

Fair play to Farke, now he knows Spurs have just spent massive on a new center-back in Radu Dragusin, a £26.7m (€31m) from Genoa & their other center-back Eric Dier going to Bayern.

Dropping a hint to our owners to get Rodon signed up pronto i'd suggest too.

Charlies Dad Richard Cresswell was Leeds United Head of Academy Coaching working across age groups from primary school age to under-23 level overseeing the implementation of training methods which would aligned each squad together before leaving the club under Radz.
    He's currently helping coaching at my old college workplace in York where he still lives & he defo knows how the game works structure, finance & Agent wise & keeps busy on his media accounts regarding both his sons.

With our injury situation now i'd be okay with Ampadu at CB with young Shacks at RB & Gray creating in MF. Will do for me. 👍

agree to disagree - he went way too far and poor man management.

If you watched the interview in full at times DF looked a little nervous - wonder whether the job is getting on top of him.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)