+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So we have to sell

So we have to sell

It’s been confirmed today that we will have to sell some of best players because of “profit sustainability” FFP rules.

Botman, Bruno, and Isak that we were to build our team around all at risk now.

I get they don’t want us to do a Man City or a Chelsea but this is a load boll0x

Darren Eales (Newcastle CEO) on why NUFC may need to sell player(s) in the future to grow:

“If you are churning players you create more headroom. We have seen lots of examples of this elsewhere: Coutinho at Liverpool and they brought in Allison & Van Dijk. Grealish going from Aston Villa and they have reinvested & reloaded.*

"Declan Rice at West Ham. It’s just the nature of the beast. If you trade players on it creates more headroom (to spend). Under PSR (Profit & Sustainability Rules) every player has a price, yes.

“You have to keep growing that headroom, increasing commercial revenue and player trading."

Basic maths, really. We already know that the days of spending whatever you want have gone (in Europe, anyway). If we sell Bruno for, say, £100 million and invest wisely in 3 players with potential to play at a similar or higher level, we’ll have improved whilst growing revenue and boxing clever within the financial parameters we’re constrained by.

what I don't get is its been said if we sell a player for £100m that gives us £300m to spend...

I get that bit due to instalments over 5 year etc..

What I dont get is, why don't we sell players for 20m and get 60m?

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    what I don't get is its been said if we sell a player for £100m that gives us £300m to spend...

I get that bit due to instalments over 5 year etc..

What I dont get is, why don't we sell players for 20m and get 60m?
    If you sell a player for £50m on a 5 Yr contract it frees up £40m as only £10m of the 50m is amortised in the first year.

So we can buy say 4 more players of a first year amortisation of £10m each as we have 40m. So 4 £50m players on 5 Yr contracts consumes the un-amortised value of the sold player.

So no we don't need to sell to buy.

The margins are tight but there is major wiggle room due to the Sela deal this season and further boosted by Adidas from next season means we will have financial flexibility.

Ugh—I am 50 years old and going to show my age here.
    I detest this commodification and fetishized approach to my/our team. How I am going to explain Isak and Bruno were moved on based on this nonsense to my 8 and 6 year old sons, diehard fans who make fun of City and Manure clad kids at their school mind you, is going to be the death of fandom.
    It is very cold in Denver today.
    Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    If you sell a player for £50m on a 5 Yr contract it frees up £40m as only £10m of the 50m is amortised in the first year.

So we can buy say 4 more players of a first year amortisation of £10m each as we have 40m. So 4 £50m players on 5 Yr contracts consumes the un-amortised value of the sold player.

The margins are tight but there is major wiggle room due to the Sela deal this season and further boosted by Adidas from next season means we will have financial flexibility.

Good positive, sensible and considered posts as normal from you Raga.

I trust the intentions and business acumen of the owners. We have to accept they have a plan and so far ias I can see t is working. It may mean decisions are taken for the the good of the club and its future which could be baffling or unpopular at some point.

I am cool with that and nothing like this has happened yet.

I watched the Darren Eales interview on NUFC TV and whilst he talked about how selling a player can release more spending than the sale. i don't recall him saying it has to be done with our top players right now.

Anyone got a link to him saying anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    I watched the Darren Eales interview on NUFC TV and whilst he talked about how selling a player can release more spending than the sale. i don't recall him saying it has to be done with our top players right now.

No Kal, because he didn't.

You saw what everyone else saw. However, you have a better than toddler aged understanding of the English language dude.

It's clear Dan detailed our 40% commercial revenue increase year on year over the last 2 yrs.

So our coms rev has almost doubled in 2 yrs. This dynamic will continue over the next 3 yrs or so until our commercial income is equivalent to the top 6.

Once again. I would urge people to go watch or listen at work 'the price of football' podcast.

Search in their archive for nufc and you will learn everything. When you see an article that isn't exactly as Kieran Mcguire explains it on those pods then its horse sh¹t. Ignore it and stop getting upset over lies written to get a reaction.

In short - new year, be less dumb 😁

FYI - I have that tattoo'd on the inside of my eye lids
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post

Yeah... he never said anything else..

Every club sells.. most clubs sell their best player.. especially if the price is right..

I dont think there will be a flash sale then the money goes into owners pocket however like the Ashley days..

But I do think we have other assets to sell before we start selling our top players..

A list like Longstaff, Willock, Almiron, Wilson would probably bring in over 20m each to provide some wiggle room.. there are players out there with reported low clauses that would improve the team over them, bring in a couple of loans also until the summer..

If i was the owners now, this window I'd be looking for Loans only to pad out the squad a bit, then see where the mop flops in the summer with the adidas and CL money.. then look at who to tell and improving the squad..

But I do actually trust the owners unlike previously

I'm more than sure those at the club will be working all the avenues and exploring all the crevices of the whole set up.

It's only natural we'll offload certain players but I'm sure it'll only be players that create maximum value to the club.

Naturally we'll always have certain players that will have their heads turned and we will reluctantly cash in but ensure we replace with as good or better, unlike the last regime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)