+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VAR strikes again

Watched a few of those Owen/Webb programmes yesterday where they listen to the VAR audio and analyse what happened. There was a consistent theme running through all of them, the VAR and the AVAR discussed what they were seeing and came to a concensus, all of them except one, the Burnley v Luton game. In our game the discussion was between the VAR, referee and liner, the AVAR was not involved, he only spoke twice, both times indicating he had some doubt over the validity of the decision, both times he was virtually ignored and the VAR confirmed to the ref that his decision was correct and the goal should stand. Why the AVAR was involved in discussing all the other incidents but ignored in ours I have no idea, but it cost us two points, he was most certainly not for giving that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Watched a few of those Owen/Webb programmes yesterday where they listen to the VAR audio and analyse what happened. There was a consistent theme running through all of them, the VAR and the AVAR discussed what they were seeing and came to a concensus, all of them except one, the Burnley v Luton game. In our game the discussion was between the VAR, referee and liner, the AVAR was not involved, he only spoke twice, both times indicating he had some doubt over the validity of the decision, both times he was virtually ignored and the VAR confirmed to the ref that his decision was correct and the goal should stand. Why the AVAR was involved in discussing all the other incidents but ignored in ours I have no idea, but it cost us two points, he was most certainly not for giving that goal.
    Too true, sinkov, the AVAR knew that it was a deliberate obstruction, however, they totally ignored his input so that must be one less person needed on the committee which officiates PL matches.

Notice the last couple of nights there have been second legs of Carabao Cup Semi-Finals refereed by two PL officials without the encumbrances of VAR. The Chelsea match had no real incidents and was one-sided, however, the officials got things right with very little fuss. The game last night was more competitive, however, the officials did a good job with a couple of mistakes included in my opinioin, however, decisions were accepted, the players got on with the game, the managers bent the fourth officials ear, which has been normal now for a number of years and the game was so much more enjoyable to watch.

It's hard to know what can be done about it Sub, it's clear by now that the fans don't want it, the players don't want it, the managers don't want it and I would imagine the officials themselves would be glad to see the back of it, but they have to keep it zipped. No one disputes the fact that it's ruining the game but the only people who can get rid of it are those that introduced it, and they are not for backing down, they are not going to hold their hands up and say they've got it wrong.

I honestly think the only way to make any progress on getting rid of VAR is for a national newspaper to run a campaign against it, but I doubt it will happen, the media loves the controversy don't they.
    Last edited by sinkov; 25-01-2024 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's hard to know what can be done about it Sub, it's clear by now that the fans don't want it, the players don't want it, the managers don't want it and I would imagine the officials themselves would be glad to see the back of it, but they have to keep it zipped. No one disputes the fact that it's ruining the game but the only people who can get rid of it are those that introduced it, and they are not for backing down, they are not going to hold their hands up and say they've got it wrong.

I honestly think the only way to make any progress on getting rid of VAR is for a national newspaper to run a campaign against it, but I doubt it will happen, the media loves the controversy don't they.
    VAR = click bait mon ami.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    VAR = click bait mon ami.
    Exactly, turkeys don't vote for Christmas do they.

I don't see the problem with automated offsides. It's like ball tracking in Cricket, it's black and white, job done.

The rest of VAR has just proven to be a car crash because everything is still so ambiguous.

VAR needs to be dumped and I wish someone could find some way to slay this monster. A determined press campaign could do the job sinkov as you suggest but as you also point out which of our papers would be prepared to run with this. I feel whoever does expunge VAR will acquire the status of a modern day St George. Football has become so corrupt through FIFA and UEFA that it just makes you sick to the stomach. The double standards and hypocrisy are staggering and not just with VAR.

In Belgium,VAR decision overturned for penalty encroachment and ordered to be replayed. 🤔🤔🙄
    Anderlecht v Ghent

If Ramsey had hit the ground VAR would probably not been able to allow the goal.

VAR has just decided that the previous VAR decision was incorrect as the VAR ref was on the toilet when the goal was scored. The VAR ref was quoted as saying sh!t happens.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)