+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome..The Spoon Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Your are right about his current contribution, particularly when compared to KF. But, young players do develop at different speeds and I'd say it's still too early to write him off.
    Not writing him off at all, but he's not good enough right now. We all thought this was the year he'd breakthrough but it's just not quite happened. Next couple of years are massive for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    On Mochrie, of course there is big room for improvement. However at 20 y/o and just getting his first proper chance at us, he isn't exactly doing badly imo.
    Hope the club stand by him and let's see how he develops in a balanced team with good experienced pros like Wotherspoon to learn from, instead of the basket case club we've been. I can definitely see a player there.
    I think if we had a reserve team where players played at Tannadice we would see if they were able to progress and become better players. This bounce game pish at St Andrews is exactly that. You could see promising youngsters getting better as the season progressed, they got encouragement from the fans. If they showed up well enough they got added to the first team squad in the Tully.

I remember seeing Bollan, Cleland, Welsh, McKinnon, Johnson, O'Neil, O'Neill, Preston, Connolly, Ferguson & McLeod in the reserves. Saw some great matches with experienced players on the fringes or coming back from injury giving these youngsters far better experiences than what players get today. I wouldn't mind paying money to see the reserves at Tannadice again.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I just don't think he's good enough. He doesn't affect games the way we need him to. Doesn't step up to the plate as a starter, and rarely makes the impact we need him to as a sub. The boy's 20 years old, same as Kai, and the difference between the two is there for all to see. He was playing at a higher level than Kai last year, so there's no excuse for his progression being where it is. If we go up next season, then it's going to be a step up again for him, when he hasn't even broken through as a consistent Championship player. If he was good enough, he'd be starting more games to gain that consistency. He reminds me of Greg Cameron. Talented, but just not quite there.
    Agree with this totally

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    I think if we had a reserve team where players played at Tannadice we would see if they were able to progress and become better players. This bounce game pish at St Andrews is exactly that. You could see promising youngsters getting better as the season progressed, they got encouragement from the fans. If they showed up well enough they got added to the first team squad in the Tully.

I remember seeing Bollan, Cleland, Welsh, McKinnon, Johnson, O'Neil, O'Neill, Preston, Connolly, Ferguson & McLeod in the reserves. Saw some great matches with experienced players on the fringes or coming back from injury giving these youngsters far better experiences than what players get today. I wouldn't mind paying money to see the reserves at Tannadice again.
    Isn't there quite a lot of games at Gussie if you felt the need? Playing at Tannadice isn't an option unless we want a terrible pitch for the first team to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Isn't there quite a lot of games at Gussie if you felt the need? Playing at Tannadice isn't an option unless we want a terrible pitch for the first team to play on.
    Im another vote for proper old school reserve games where fringe players get to mix with 1st teamers and young lads deemed good enough. Think Gussie is more development players and dont the U18s play up at Forfar?

Do we think Goodwin has signed these 2 players to go right into the first team or just to strengthen the squad.
    If yes who is likely to drop out.
    Assuming everybody fit.

I'd gladly watch the reserves at Foundation Park, aka Gussie where I once won a goldfish.
    But not weekday afternoons, remember the Friday night games on Tannadice, they whetted your appetite for the big game the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    Do we think Goodwin has signed these 2 players to go right into the first team or just to strengthen the squad.
    Assuming everybody fit.
    I think it now gives competition where it wasn't there before, Moult and Middleton, in particular , have had no competition no matter how badly they have played

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post
    Assuming everybody fit.
    Both really. They are certainly good enough to start, but like any player, will have to earn their place. I think it'll mean the likes of Watt, Fotheringham & Middleton aren't automatic first names on the team sheet anymore. Glass, Mochrie, Tillson & Cudjoe will also be further down the pecking order.

100% competition! None of the players should be an automatic pick IMO. It also gives us options for mixing it up on the pitch or changing tactics during the game. Our starting 11 should 100% be based on form. Play well and you will be playing next week. The players need to take ownership of their own performance. I am hoping this gives all the players a boost!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)