+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: See Rwanda, why not change policy altogether and

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    7 years is a generation according to nicoliar
    According to Michael Russell the former SNP MSP for Argyll and Bute a generation could be as little as four years.
    That was his justification for wanting a second independence referendum as soon as possible despite the Scottish public being told it was a ‘once in a generation’ referendum not every four years.
    Thank goodness he is no longer an MSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Think 47 was the worst one, I was only one in 1963 so don't remember much about it. I remember the claes on the washing line being frozen solid during winters in the 1960s.
    The winter in 1947 did not start until the end of January.
    During the winter of 1962-63 I can remember clothes being frozen solid on our washing line and we had no central heating back then, just coal fires.
    The inside as well as the outside of our windows were covered frost designs like leaves.
    There was no double glazing or insulation in the attic.
    People just got on with things and we walked to and from school every day.
    The biggest problem of the lot was that there were no Dundee FC first team or reserve games for over two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Winter of 62 / 63 never happened, this winter is the worst on record with unprecedented low temperatures, as low as -14 in a one of single isolated location known to be one of the coldest places on this island, and unprecedented snow fall - or so you'd be led to believe.

I was born in February 63 - at home because my mum was stuck in the house with snow up to the window ledge and unassisted because the midwife couldn't get down the street. I don't think that was ever described as unprecedented because was it not as bad in about 1947?
    Is that because the children at school no longer get history lessons telling them what happened as far back as 1962-63.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Is that because the children at school no longer get history lessons telling them what happened as far back as 1962-63.
    They don't get taught anything worth learning. Gender politics and critical race theory seem to have replaced the likes of history, geography and modern studies

The winter in 1947 did not start until the end of January.
    During the winter of 1962-63 I can remember clothes being frozen solid on our washing line and we had no central heating back then, just coal fires.
    The inside as well as the outside of our windows were covered frost designs like leaves.
    There was no double glazing or insulation in the attic.
    People just got on with things and we walked to and from school every day.
    The biggest problem of the lot was that there were no Dundee FC first team or reserve games for over two months.
    I think winter starts before January.

It would be a different story if the teachers did not get paid every time the schools were closed due to a fall of snow or heavy rain.
    Schools would soon remain open no matter the weather.
    Why would it be a different story? The teachers do not make the decision to close the schools. Your thinking that schools would remain open if they stopped paying the teachers due to bad weather forcing schools to close is utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dens Park Dynamo View Post
    Why would it be a different story? The teachers do not make the decision to close the schools. Your thinking that schools would remain open if they stopped paying the teachers due to bad weather forcing schools to close is utter nonsense.
    Why not.
    If people can walk to their work trudging through heavy snow then it should be same for teachers. The Director of Education in local authorities should not be closing every school in their council area because it makes it easier for them. It is happening far too often.
    I remember my father telling me when he was Headmaster of Fairmuir Special School in the mid 1980’s that one day after a slight fall of snow Downfield PS closed at lunchtime but Fairmuir school remained open.
    The pupils at Fairmuir Special School were all bussed to and from school every day and if there was any need to close schools in Dundee Fairmuir Special School should have been the first to close due to snow. However the snowfall was minor and Downfield PS should never have been closed at lunchtime that day.
    My father often stated that if the current policy of closing schools every time the snow fell was in force during the winter of 1962-63 the schools in Dundee would have been shut for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    I think winter starts before January.
    I enclose details of the winter of 1947:for your information. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wint...United_Kingdom

Why not.
    If people can walk to their work trudging through heavy snow then it should be same for teachers. The Director of Education in local authorities should not be closing every school in their council area because it makes it easier for them. It is happening far too often.
    I remember my father telling me when he was Headmaster of Fairmuir Special School in the mid 1980’s that one day after a slight fall of snow Downfield PS closed at lunchtime but Fairmuir school remained open.
    The pupils at Fairmuir Special School were all bussed to and from school every day and if there was any need to close schools in Dundee Fairmuir Special School should have been the first to close due to snow. However the snowfall was minor and Downfield PS should never have been closed at lunchtime that day.
    My father often stated that if the current policy of closing schools every time the snow fell was in force during the winter of 1962-63 the schools in Dundee would have been shut for weeks on end.
    Again i repeat its not TEACHERS who take the decision to close schools.You inferred in your earlier post number 51 in this thread that if teachers were not getting paid when schools were closed because of bad weather then schools would be open no matter what, that is absolute nonsense.Also its not the Director of Education that takes the decision to close the schools either.

I enclose details of the winter of 1947:for your information. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wint...United_Kingdom
    Winter doesn’t start in January.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)