+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hakeem Odoffin

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    A future captain?

He was not thought highly of but how good has he been? Firstly under Taylor and now under Richardson although for the latter he's been playing out of position.
    For me his injury at Sunderland was the start of this seasons demise.
    Totally agree we dropped off at Sunderland when he went off and haven't been the same since, basically because we've missed his presence in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Once again.................how do you make players sign if they don't want to? Their agents will be telling them all sorts of promises.
    Nobody says forcing them, what we are talking about is making it clear we want them to sign a new deal, be visible that discussions are in progress and put together a deal that gives us the best chance of retaining them. It costs a lot more in total cost to get a replacement than to keep what you have, remember the club every few days keeps telling us how hard it is to recruit, so put effort into the area that you have more control over. Also it makes the player have to discuss it in any interviews and the fans can get a feeling of whether he wants a deal or not as to how he talks about it. We did this with Viktor and it worked, in his interviews during and after it was clear he always wanted a deal and to stay. What is annoying is this constant bleating that we are powerless and can't achieve success when dealing with recruitment and retention, I would be very concerned if the people at Rotherham are so bad at recruitment and contract negoiations as can be inferred from some of the comments on here, especially if the head of that department is about to be promoted to Director of Football. Personally I suspect that TS is blocking any recruitment and contract renewals at the moment until they have a financial plan in place for next season in L1, this includes out before in creating a limited net increase in ongoing costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    Nobody says forcing them, what we are talking about is making it clear we want them to sign a new deal, be visible that discussions are in progress and put together a deal that gives us the best chance of retaining them. It costs a lot more in total cost to get a replacement than to keep what you have, remember the club every few days keeps telling us how hard it is to recruit, so put effort into the area that you have more control over. Also it makes the player have to discuss it in any interviews and the fans can get a feeling of whether he wants a deal or not as to how he talks about it. We did this with Viktor and it worked, in his interviews during and after it was clear he always wanted a deal and to stay. What is annoying is this constant bleating that we are powerless and can't achieve success when dealing with recruitment and retention, I would be very concerned if the people at Rotherham are so bad at recruitment and contract negoiations as can be inferred from some of the comments on here, especially if the head of that department is about to be promoted to Director of Football. Personally I suspect that TS is blocking any recruitment and contract renewals at the moment until they have a financial plan in place for next season in L1, this includes out before in creating a limited net increase in ongoing costs.
    We've offered contracts to all the players we've wanted to keep, in some cases the best deals in the clubs history. The fact is those players knew that they could still get more elsewhere and probably at a bigger club with better prospects. What incentive do they have to sign a new deal and what more can the club do other than pay more than it can afford? That's not being defeatist or negative, it's being realistic. I'm not saying the club is doing everything perfectly by the way. I think the debate shouldn't be about how can we retain these players, it's should be about have we kept them too long when we could have possibly sold them earlier. In hindsight, we should've let Ben Wiles go to Burnley for example.

Viktor is a complete anomaly, not just at Rotherham, but in modern football. I doubt any other footballer in his situation and form would've signed that deal. Luckily for us he did and fair play to him.

Yes Burnley had a very lucky escape there. Wiles is totally overrated. And he got lucky too because he would never have got picked at Burnley

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    We've offered contracts to all the players we've wanted to keep, in some cases the best deals in the clubs history. The fact is those players knew that they could still get more elsewhere and probably at a bigger club with better prospects. What incentive do they have to sign a new deal and what more can the club do other than pay more than it can afford? That's not being defeatist or negative, it's being realistic. I'm not saying the club is doing everything perfectly by the way. I think the debate shouldn't be about how can we retain these players, it's should be about have we kept them too long when we could have possibly sold them earlier. In hindsight, we should've let Ben Wiles go to Burnley for example.

Viktor is a complete anomaly, not just at Rotherham, but in modern football. I doubt any other footballer in his situation and form would've signed that deal. Luckily for us he did and fair play to him.
    Spot on.

If the club ever want to adopt a different approach, we have to move players on as and when we can get maximum coin for them. Particularly when we're in the championship or just been promoted.

You make some good points but I cannot agree with the last point, plenty of footballers sign contract extensions with non-elite clubs when they are playing well, some clubs get the contract extended with a view to sell within a year. Look we won't agree on this, my original point still stands this lad speaks well, is playing well and i would like to hear that the club are trying to extend his contract.

He's with

A.M.A. Sports Agency

Swedish based I guess. If he was signed up with any UK based agency, I doubt he would have signed that contract.

Fantastic gesture but definitely not the norm. I agree.

You make some good points but I cannot agree with the last point, plenty of footballers sign contract extensions with non-elite clubs when they are playing well, some clubs get the contract extended with a view to sell within a year. Look we won't agree on this, my original point still stands this lad speaks well, is playing well and i would like to hear that the club are trying to extend his contract.
    You're correct, we won't agree on it.

I'd like to hear that Odoffin has been offered a new contract too, and for all any of us know, he might have been. It'd be naive to think that if it hasn't been made public it hasn't happened.

You're correct, we won't agree on it.

I'd like to hear that Odoffin has been offered a new contract too, and for all any of us know, he might have been. It'd be naive to think that if it hasn't been made public it hasn't happened.
    I think it is more naive to believe the club are doing it right regards contract renewals and haven't made numerous mistakes. I think someone on here said a number of clubs put new contracts in front of players around the midpoint and if they don't renew they sell whilst they can, perhaps taking an approach like that for some of our players might help.

I think it is more naive to believe the club are doing it right regards contract renewals and haven't made numerous mistakes. I think someone on here said a number of clubs put new contracts in front of players around the midpoint and if they don't renew they sell whilst they can, perhaps taking an approach like that for some of our players might help.
    I don't believe I said the club are doing everything right and haven't made mistakes. I'm merely saying neither me or you have any idea of what has happened with regards to contracts behind closed doors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast