+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t ww3

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Would just like people's thoughts on this. For me the world has never seemed such a dangerous place in my 52 years being here as it does right now. Russia/ Ukraine, Us and the Yanks getting involved in the Middle East and China seemingly on the verge of invading Taiwan. Add on nutters like Kim Jong etc....

I'm so scared for my kids and Grandkids.
    Imagine if you had the level of social media, 24 hour news, exo-chamber bubbles of information etc... That we have now... During the cold war. You'd feel very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    Imagine if you had the level of social media, 24 hour news, exo-chamber bubbles of information etc... That we have now... During the cold war. You'd feel very different.
    That's just before my time but I do get what you are saying. We came very close back then but the troubles of today seem worse to me. The War in the Middle East is certain to escalate and I genuinely do fear we are on the cusp of the biggest conflict since WW2. Only now the weapons nations possess will make it 100 times more scary..

Power, greed and Religion and a lot to answer for.

I share the sentiment of the opening post. I remember the cold war and being aware of the potential for nuclear war in the seventies and eighties, but that felt different to now.

The stand off between NATO and the Warsaw Pact felt dangerous, but there was no sense of the people with their fingers on the triggers being willing to act irrationally. I can't say the same about today.

The increase in the number of nuclear powers in the world is part of the issue as is the extent to which we are driven by more extreme ideologies. I appreciate that we are exposed to propaganda about both countries, but the possession of nuclear weapons by countries such as North Korea and probably Iran is concerning as the leadership of the former might believe that they could deal with the 'hardship' of a nuclear exchange and the latter might believe that they would all be going to paradise.

Our issues are not restricted to warfare either. We seem incapable as a species to address climate change and the slow destruction of the ecosystems that we rely upon.

We now live in a world where the truth is whatever social media says it is and the likes of 'populist' leaders like Trump and Johnson can rise to power by saying whatever people want to hear irrespective of whether it can be delivered.

I think I'm going off to get drunk now.

The world is just has dangerous has it as always been since WW2. And that’s not taking the Climate Emergency into consideration.

Sociopaths seem to crave power and often achieve it. Neoliberalism or extreme capitalism just loves getting the grim reaper involved.

I think my views and most people are aligned with a humanist philosophy. Be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I share the sentiment of the opening post. I remember the cold war and being aware of the potential for nuclear war in the seventies and eighties, but that felt different to now.

The stand off between NATO and the Warsaw Pact felt dangerous, but there was no sense of the people with their fingers on the triggers being willing to act irrationally. I can't say the same about today.

The increase in the number of nuclear powers in the world is part of the issue as is the extent to which we are driven by more extreme ideologies. I appreciate that we are exposed to propaganda about both countries, but the possession of nuclear weapons by countries such as North Korea and probably Iran is concerning as the leadership of the former might believe that they could deal with the 'hardship' of a nuclear exchange and the latter might believe that they would all be going to paradise.

Our issues are not restricted to warfare either. We seem incapable as a species to address climate change and the slow destruction of the ecosystems that we rely upon.

We now live in a world where the truth is whatever social media says it is and the likes of 'populist' leaders like Trump and Johnson can rise to power by saying whatever people want to hear irrespective of whether it can be delivered.

I think I'm going off to get drunk now.

We were telling our kids about the leaflets of how to take your doors of and use a mattress if a nuclear war started. I also told them to watch Threads but I’m not sure if they could find it.

When Trump was president he reached out to some of the countries you mentioned. It did no good with Rocket Man

He didn’t start a war which is a rare thing for an American president of recent years.

I’m not a Trump fan and certainly not a Biden fan and I wonder how with 400 million people in a county they are left with the current choice.

The choices here were Macron and Le Penn twice which isn’t really a good choice.

In Britain you chose Boris Johnson and haven’t elected the last 2.

Do you think that internal unrest and riots will start before any nuclear war starts? I think there’s more chance of that.

World would have been in a better place with Trump in power. There can be no doubt to that.

It was Trump who was working with Saudi and others to get Israel recognised and normalised.

It was Trump who rightly said Iran was going to use the "Deal" money on weapons - they did exactly that.

It was Trump that stopped Putin going into Ukraine in 2018 and again in 2020.

It was Trump who actively tried to get North Korea to the table.

He is WRONG on a lot of issues, but he's right on a lot more than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    We were telling our kids about the leaflets of how to take your doors of and use a mattress if a nuclear war started. I also told them to watch Threads but I’m not sure if they could find it.

When Trump was president he reached out to some of the countries you mentioned. It did no good with Rocket Man

He didn’t start a war which is a rare thing for an American president of recent years.

I’m not a Trump fan and certainly not a Biden fan and I wonder how with 400 million people in a county they are left with the current choice.

The choices here were Macron and Le Penn twice which isn’t really a good choice.

Do you think that internal unrest and riots will start before any nuclear war starts? I think there’s more chance of that.
    Frog, yes I do feel there will be internal unrest before a WW3. It doesn’t matter how we are told to accept each others religion/ faith within the UK, the action or process of successfully joining or mixing with a different group of people through integration has not and will not ever work.

It is this that will see it all explode and kick off in future years and, some say it’s not all that far off.

Make no bones about it, there will be an uprising of a religion within our shores, that governments have allowed to build and fester from a simmering to eventually get to a boiling point. This is what I fear most for our country, but more importantly my children, albeit them being adults and my Granddaughters.
    Last edited by Brin; 18-01-2024 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post

You would need to do more than tape doors and use mattress it you were getting nuked.
    More like put your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye.
    Any survivors getting hungry and thirsty, forget it .
    Anything knocking about would be radioactive, eat it if you are desperate. And die painfully.
    Don't think police , fire brigade, ambulance etc will be on hand as they will all have fkd off to help their own families .
    Apart from that good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    World would have been in a better place with Trump in power. There can be no doubt to that.

It was Trump who was working with Saudi and others to get Israel recognised and normalised.

It was Trump who rightly said Iran was going to use the "Deal" money on weapons - they did exactly that.

It was Trump that stopped Putin going into Ukraine in 2018 and again in 2020.

It was Trump who actively tried to get North Korea to the table.

He is WRONG on a lot of issues, but he's right on a lot more than people think.
    You could be right but I just can't get past wanting to punch him in his smug face every time I see him. He's a loathsome character. On the other hand Biden is a slightly nicer character but unfortunately not much use due to his advanced age. Getting up in age myself there's no doubt the running of one of the World's top powers should not be trusted to either of those men.

I'm off for a nice cold pint in the Winchester to wait for all this to blow over.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast