+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopped Watching The Millers ?

Stopped Watching The Millers ?

Lots of empty seats at home games at the moment, and talk on here of not renewing season tickets, so with that in mind, have you ever stopped going ?
    Be honest.
    I started going when I was at school in the late 70's,I went regularly for about 5 years, including the classic title winning season.
    However when I left school I was on the dole,me and 3 million others,so in around 83 I stopped going regularly.
    I was spending what little money I had in the Drawbridge and at Adam and Eve's.
    So for next 13 years I only went very occasionally, mostly cup games, the catalyst for my return was Sir Ronald Moore.
    Since then I have missed maybe five home games in 27/28 years,and have had a season ticket for 17 years.

No and never will, although i have found it hard and uninspiring this season.
    We seem to be compounding the view we are a tuppence halfpenny club, poor results,
    the cogitating over the new manager and now the Kioso fiasco (if there is one).
    Even down to the steps leading to the North Stand turnstiles being taped out of use, what's that about, just get them fixed.
    Us apart i feel the beautiful game has now become a bit tedious with all the tippy tappy going nowhere football that is being played, and the new rules add to this, delayed offside rulings and goalkicks not having to go out of the box.
    Or am i just a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by jakethemiller View Post
    No and never will, although i have found it hard and uninspiring this season.
    We seem to be compounding the view we are a tuppence halfpenny club, poor results,
    the cogitating over the new manager and now the Kioso fiasco (if there is one).
    Even down to the steps leading to the North Stand turnstiles being taped out of use, what's that about, just get them fixed.
    Us apart i feel the beautiful game has now become a bit tedious with all the tippy tappy going nowhere football that is being played, and the new rules add to this, delayed offside rulings and goalkicks not having to go out of the box.
    Or am i just a dinosaur.
    The young ones may say you are a dinosaur but I’m not one of them.Football was a simple game but people that don’t stand on the terraces (now sit) have ruined it.Mr Webb now saying Liverpool should have had a penalty against @rsenal that was weeks ago why say it now what’s the point.do think unless there’s a change more people will stop going but for now I will carry on.I don’t think I will renew my season ticket but just pick the games I fancy especially in the winter months my old bones just will not take it sat in the cold.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 18-01-2024 at 11:01 AM.

The level of "entertainment" this season has not been worth the money season ticket holders and occasional visitors have shelled out. And with the likes of Port Vale and Shrewsbury coming here next season there will be a big downturn of several hundred if not thousands of spectators (home and away ones). By my reckoning if any product is of lesser quality the price of it should be reduced. Over to you Mr Stewart

Stopped going in my mid twenties to play more football. Didn’t go back to millmoor for around 15 years . Went back when my son was playing football at half time. Got a season ticket the following year. Football was one of the reasons I left but lack of commitment from the football club was another. I like to see commitment on and off the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    The level of "entertainment" this season has not been worth the money season ticket holders and occasional visitors have shelled out. And with the likes of Port Vale and Shrewsbury coming here next season there will be a big downturn of several hundred if not thousands of spectators (home and away ones). By my reckoning if any product is of lesser quality the price of it should be reduced. Over to you Mr Stewart
    Teams such as Port Vale and Shrewsbury, who you mention, are decent league 1 teams and in terms of size of club we are a league 1 team who has been trying for a while to live with lots of ex premier league teams without risking our clubs future financially. Yes, as you say, there will be a big downturn of support if we go down, as seems likely, but we will still be one of the bigger clubs in league 1 and will hopefully be in the hunt for another promotion, if indeed we do go down.
    To answer the purpose of this thread, I started playing in local football from leaving school at 16 and went refereeing after I stopped playing so i watched the millers whenever i could, and I've got to watch us more regularly over the last 15 years or so through Don Valley and this wonderful new ground of ours. UTM

I'm a bit like Towners LC. Started going to Millmoor in the 1959/60 season with my dad and grandad and watched them up until the sacking of Emlyn Hughes. After that I retained a passing interest but only came back when Ronnie became the manager.
    Since then moved to Norfolk so don't get to many games these days and suspect I may not bother in future as age is starting to take it's toll.
    A shame really but as wonderful as NYS is, we are no further forward on the field of play now than when King Ronnie was the gaffer at Millmoor with old man Booth in charge.
    If truth be told I don't like the game these days, I find it too sterile and over rehearsed. I've never liked the 3 points for a win as I doubt it increased goals in the game as intended. I don't like squad numbers and really only get pleasure out of watching re-runs of games from the 1970s on Big Match Revisited when the game was exciting with real characters in the game.
    So I am that dinosaur.

Oh for the days of getting your head kicked in by a skinhead

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    Oh for the days of getting your head kicked in by a skinhead
    Or being chased around Southend and Torquay town centres respectively after the game.

Thats one thing you never noticed stood on the terraces in the 70s how cold it was, maybe I was a lot younger then, but I don't really want to sit freezing in the NYS these days.
    One thing you did notice on the terraces in the cold was the smell of tobacco drifting over really remember that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast