+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: ground renting

There are obvious financial benefits to sharing a ground but it's too emotional and contentious to even be considered. Sorting out our own stadium maintenance budget and effort is something that should have a greater priority than it seems to currently get from our board.

I’d be all for groundsharing to be honest - on a couple of conditions obviously.

First and foremost the playing surface needs to be able to withstand the extra punishment! Secondly it has to be 100% a joint venture so neutral seat colours etc. I know most of you (and rightly so) have a deep emotional attachment to Tannadice but for me a new stadium would likely be a significant upgrade in terms of facilities and potential revenue. We would need to find a clever way of maximising the atmosphere in any new build and not have a soulless open stadium like McDiarmid or Inverness. Want to make any new build intimidating like tannadice can be or like tynecastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sande_Man View Post
    I’d be all for groundsharing to be honest - on a couple of conditions obviously.

First and foremost the playing surface needs to be able to withstand the extra punishment! Secondly it has to be 100% a joint venture so neutral seat colours etc. I know most of you (and rightly so) have a deep emotional attachment to Tannadice but for me a new stadium would likely be a significant upgrade in terms of facilities and potential revenue. We would need to find a clever way of maximising the atmosphere in any new build and not have a soulless open stadium like McDiarmid or Inverness. Want to make any new build intimidating like tannadice can be or like tynecastle.
    Problem with McDiarmid, Inverness, Falkirk etc is location, stuck away from housing, pubs, or amenities, you go to these grounds and if you want to go to the town first you have to get a taxi up, suits buses for away supporters rather than home fans. That is why Tynecastle and Easter road are great venues for a day out. Even Pitoddrie a bit further out has a range of pubs/ shops nearby

I can’t help but feel that ground sharing in Dundee would be a slippery slope to merger

Yes my attachment to Tannadice is emotional, however I believe there are many practical reasons why we should remain.

I fail to see how the fun owners would allow a revenue share, more like maximising their revenue by taking a fee to allow us to use their ground. Sure i read somewhere that even their football team would be contributing a fee to use their facilities.

I don't see how it can be a joint venture between clubs when this has pretty much zilch to do with DFC apart from being a tennant.

If there was any kind of joint venture it would be between owners and owners.

DFC will get whatever the yanks decide, they might be generous they might very well be not.

The only thing I cud see utd getting out of it is joint tennant of shiny new ground and id assume zero maintenance but even that's not guaranteed.

And utd would have the same problem as DFC would when the yanks sell up......what happens to lease and does any funding that comes DFC way from the other bits and bobs stop.

Anyway 10 to 20% chance of it being built.

100%

Moving into another teams 'already designed' stadium would never be a joint venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I don't see how it can be a joint venture between clubs when this has pretty much zilch to do with DFC apart from being a tennant.

If there was any kind of joint venture it would be between owners and owners.

DFC will get whatever the yanks decide, they might be generous they might very well be not.

The only thing I cud see utd getting out of it is joint tennant of shiny new ground and id assume zero maintenance but even that's not guaranteed.

And utd would have the same problem as DFC would when the yanks sell up......what happens to lease and does any funding that comes DFC way from the other bits and bobs stop.

Anyway 10 to 20% chance of it being built.
    It doesn't have to be a joint venture and id say given the amount of work it has already taken to get to this point it wouldn't be a Joint venture.

Even if none of the revenue streams that could be externally generated come to us that's not to say it still wouldn't make financial sense to share the stadium.

By looks of it there will be training facilities attached doing away with the need for the St Andrews base that must cost us a pretty penny plus the running costs of the stadium would be halved, again saving us a considerable amount of cash over a season .
    We would have a brand new , fit for purpose modern stadium .

Final point how do you know there's only a 10-20% chance this will happen ?
    Are we to believe that multi-millionaire businessmen would go to this much bother over the curse of near on a decade just for something to do if they didn't intend or believe it was a very real possibility of happening ?

There's a very good chance the stadium goes ahead. There is also a state-of-the-art training facility being planned for elsewhere in the city. As said above, those involved aren't going to go to the lengths that they have, if there was a 10%-20% chance of it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by DBDU View Post
    It doesn't have to be a joint venture and id say given the amount of work it has already taken to get to this point it wouldn't be a Joint venture.

Even if none of the revenue streams that could be externally generated come to us that's not to say it still wouldn't make financial sense to share the stadium.

By looks of it there will be training facilities attached doing away with the need for the St Andrews base that must cost us a pretty penny plus the running costs of the stadium would be halved, again saving us a considerable amount of cash over a season .
    We would have a brand new , fit for purpose modern stadium .

Final point how do you know there's only a 10-20% chance this will happen ?
    Are we to believe that multi-millionaire businessmen would go to this much bother over the curse of near on a decade just for something to do if they didn't intend or believe it was a very real possibility of happening ?
    Fair points on cost savings ( never thought about St Andrews) but to me that's an incredibly hard ( if not impossible) sell to utd fans.

They haven't been working on it for a decade, I reckon around 3 to 4 years worth of work......only owned the land for 8.

10 to 20% is just how I see it......I thought zero chance 6 months ago.

It was just pointing out this is NOT a DFC venture, it's an FPS venture......and it wouldn't be a DUFC venture either.

I think they believe it's a possibility but so many obstacles to overcome and the August 25 timeframe is just ridiculous.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)