+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott appointed Director of Football

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    You won't get the reply your after m8. Everyone knows the players/agents have all the power and but it's easier to blame the club, rob Scott, tony Stewart, warnie, Taylor, even doris for not extending the contract's.

Next ask why rathbone didn't sign the contract extension we offered him last year, and why Rufc decided to wait till 2024 before restarting contract talks.
    Good points.

Why don't fans ask the players to comment on their contracts. I know we get snippets.

Take Rathbone.

"I'd love to stay at the club and sign a new contract."

Maybe we can ask him to expand on that.

"I'd love to stay at the club and sign a new contract. Once they agree to my demands. It's only fair they pay me three times what I'm getting now. After all, I'm a championship player and I want championship wages."

That's how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    The question was that you had already worked out that the most we could afford was 30% increase. And lets sey that they accept your idea of the min release fee and will accept 40% with that in mind.

Would you offer him the money?

And this player is just going into the last year of his contract, and he is not interested in an extension clause, so you decide to sell. You value him at 3 million. But again, no offers come in close to that - the most is £1.2 million, that's the best you can do. The club will accept a 10% sell on clause if sold in the next 2 seasons.

Would you accept it?
    That's just a hypothetical situation you've dreamt up to suggest there is nothing much wrong with the club's approach.
    None of us know if this is anything like reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    That's just a hypothetical situation you've dreamt up to suggest there is nothing much wrong with the club's approach.
    None of us know if this is anything like reality.
    It isn't just that though is it? It's a common situation, probably the most common situation, that most clubs (not just the Millers) face when trying to sign/extend/sell players and I am genuinely interested in how different people would answer them. Why is it so fanciful to suggest that this run of the mill scenario is not happening in our negotiations? I'd be more surprisedif it wasn't!

It's unknown in much the same way that nobody knows the reality of what contract talks take place with players and the details of those that do.

Contract talks and recruitment are a multi party affair - the club, the player, his agent and other interested clubs can all play a part. A lot of Rotherham supporters seem to simply assume that it is always the club they support that is at fault when things don't go as they would like them to.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    The question was that you had already worked out that the most we could afford was 30% increase. And lets sey that they accept your idea of the min release fee and will accept 40% with that in mind.

Would you offer him the money?

And this player is just going into the last year of his contract, and he is not interested in an extension clause, so you decide to sell. You value him at 3 million. But again, no offers come in close to that - the most is £1.2 million, that's the best you can do. The club will accept a 10% sell on clause if sold in the next 2 seasons.

Would you accept it?
    Yes and Yes. Both are better options than allowing a multi million pound player to leave for nothing. You also set the tone of future transfers.

The club has lost millions within the last 24 months in sales revenue.

I understand the argument for keeping a player (who helps keeps us up) leaving on a free. Issue is, they still need a replacement and we are in the same position the following season without said player anyway...

I have no desire for the club to spend on transfers beyond it's means, however it's better to have a proven asset costing you money (wages) than a fee on an unknown that will still cost wages - See Nombes expense for example.

You presumed we don't get that far. Nobody knows for sure what's going on. Even brins inside Adrian
    Rathbone was in negotiations, he then said very publicly that the club had agreed everything but not gone forward.

We did the same to Wood.

We did the same to Chieo.

Going as far back as Ben Pringle the clubs contract negotiations have been ridiculous when it comes to player retainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
    Rathbone was in negotiations, he then said very publicly that the club had agreed everything but not gone forward.

We did the same to Wood.

We did the same to Chieo.

Going as far back as Ben Pringle the clubs contract negotiations have been ridiculous when it comes to player retainment.
    Pringle got the huff when we didn't start contract talk in November, he was never offered a new contract until the end of the season
    We were in league one when chio contract was offered. I'm sure he was wisely advised to decline it. Not sure about wood but Mt didn't want him so not sure which contract to wood your talking about

I stand corrected on chio. We had just won promotion from league 1 when he was offered a new contract under warne. Then again in December after Taylor took over and again in may. He rejected all 3.

You won't get the reply your after m8. Everyone knows the players/agents have all the power and but it's easier to blame the club, rob Scott, tony Stewart, warnie, Taylor, even doris for not extending the contract's.

Next ask why rathbone didn't sign the contract extension we offered him last year, and why Rufc decided to wait till 2024 before restarting contract talks.
    Cayton buddy. wasn't there a piece in the Tizer around about Oct/Nov time last year where Ollie openly spoke of wanting to end his career with us but the club had stalled with a new offer of a contract for him, but he fully understood why they would begin talks in the New Year?

Can anyone pull that piece up?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Cayton buddy. wasn't there a piece in the Tizer around about Oct/Nov time last year where Ollie openly spoke of wanting to end his career with us but the club had stalled with a new offer of a contract for him, but he fully understood why they would begin talks in the New Year?

Can anyone pull that piece up?
    He said he had a meeting with MT and believe they were very close. He was then told rufc couldn't do the deal at the present time. Hensor explained above why he thought it didn't happen.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast