+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If we don't get some decent results over the next two games then (points wise) we will fall behind where The Trust with Steve Thompson in charge were at the same stage of the season, but with 7,000 odd extra supporters as opposed to coming out of admin with the worst squad of hoofers ever ( according to many). That will be very poor optics indeed.
    Hmm yeah, that's an interesting point. Football has changed a lot since then, and that Steve Thompson side would be relegation fodder now regardless of manager, but still, it's an interesting way to frame our current performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yeah, but if you ignore the facts that under Luke Williams we were promoted, we won the most games we've ever won, we scored the most goals we've ever scored, we got the most points we've ever got, he was pretty average.
    We can all see where you are coming from Elite but do you think he had no weaknesses?

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    We can all see where you are coming from Elite but do you think he had no weaknesses?
    Apparently, he had a weakness for Jammy Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Yes, After a season and a half he still had no idea how to resolve our defensive problems. Plus, his use of substitutes had a weakening effect on the side..

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yeah, but if you ignore the facts that under Luke Williams we were promoted, we won the most games we've ever won, we scored the most goals we've ever scored, we got the most points we've ever got, he was pretty average.
    Just to add a little context;
    Under Luke Williams we were promoted out of the National League, we won the most games we've ever won, in the National League, we scored the most goals we've ever scored, in the National League, we got the most points we've ever got, in the National League. He motivated a very good group of players and produced some of the best football a lot of supporters have seen, albeit in a generally weak National League. I have a lot of time and great appreciation for LW but he didn't leave us in a good place did he (and he did have tunnel vision, or got no support from the Bros during the summer window?).

I’d have LW back tomorrow if the opportunity arose. It was more than the style of football, the goals scored, the promotions won….it’s more than the defensive frailties that he didn’t manage to sort out as well. For me it was his leadership, his personality and how he gelled the club together. He spoke true and he spoke sense in a way that didn’t alienate the fans or the media.

I believed him and I believed in him. We were going through a rough patch when he left but at no point were alarm bells ringing, I believe he would’ve sorted it out over time. At no point did it seem the players gave up on him either….he has a magic charisma about him which is really hard to replace and I think given time he will sort Swansea out, their fans are already starting to see improvements.

Only time will tell whether he is too stubborn to change his beliefs or methods, but Christ, after IB he rejuvenated the whole club from the fans and players to the back room staff after what was an utterly demoralising loss in the playoffs to Grimsby.

I was disappointed he left but the man is the best manager we have had since Allardyce. It goes beyond what happens on the pitch, it’s how they represent the club as a whole and in that way there has been no one better in my time supporting Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Just to add a little context;
    Under Luke Williams we were promoted out of the National League, we won the most games we've ever won, in the National League, we scored the most goals we've ever scored, in the National League, we got the most points we've ever got, in the National League. He motivated a very good group of players and produced some of the best football a lot of supporters have seen, albeit in a generally weak National League. I have a lot of time and great appreciation for LW but he didn't leave us in a good place did he (and he did have tunnel vision, or got no support from the Bros during the summer window?).
    He did leave us in a good position of course he did.

Took over a NL side and then left us 6th in league 2 after half a season if that isnt good/progress you set a high bar !

You misunderstand what I meant. Yes he left us in a good league position but we were in a slump prior to his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    He did leave us in a good position of course he did.

Took over a NL side and then left us 6th in league 2 after half a season if that isnt good/progress you set a high bar !
    LW left us 24 places higher in the pyramid than when he took over. No Notts manager other than Jimmy Sirrel has bettered that, who lifted us 52 places in his first spell.

3rd best in this regard was Allardyce who left us 21 places higher.
    Warnock had us 50 higher at one point but dropped a long way back before he was sacked 18 places higher than he started.
    In 5th place - leaving us 14 places better off - Ian McParland!!!

The worst was Eddie Lowe, leaving us 34 places lower than where he found us, followed by Larry Lloyd 29 places lower and Gary Mills 22.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I’d have LW back tomorrow if the opportunity arose. It was more than the style of football, the goals scored, the promotions won….it’s more than the defensive frailties that he didn’t manage to sort out as well. For me it was his leadership, his personality and how he gelled the club together. He spoke true and he spoke sense in a way that didn’t alienate the fans or the media.

I believed him and I believed in him. We were going through a rough patch when he left but at no point were alarm bells ringing, I believe he would’ve sorted it out over time. At no point did it seem the players gave up on him either….he has a magic charisma about him which is really hard to replace and I think given time he will sort Swansea out, their fans are already starting to see improvements.

Only time will tell whether he is too stubborn to change his beliefs or methods, but Christ, after IB he rejuvenated the whole club from the fans and players to the back room staff after what was an utterly demoralising loss in the playoffs to Grimsby.

I was disappointed he left but the man is the best manager we have had since Allardyce. It goes beyond what happens on the pitch, it’s how they represent the club as a whole and in that way there has been no one better in my time supporting Notts.

He didn’t want us anymore, stop grovelling and support Maynard.

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast