+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    If he wants to become a great manager, he’s going to have to start understanding the importance of the defensive side of the game as well. Coming across as very naive at the moment. This is what he said last night:

Swansea head coach Luke Williams on S4C:

"It was a horrible night for us.

"I apologised to the players as I tried to set up the team to cause a problem for the opposition. Because it's a cup game we have to find a way to win the game.

"I got the balance wrong, too many players in advanced positions and in the turnover too few players to stem the attack and the opposition were very good.
    I still admire the positive approach he takes.
    For games like this though, you have to ask a) will we be able to dominate the ball and take the game to them b) can our back players handle their attackers 1-on-1 if required. You should know really that the answer to those questions are NO and NO and adapt accordingly, especially in the very early days of your tenure. As I said on the other thread, this game alone will have cost him a chunk of goodwill from a portion of their fanbase.

If he wants to become a great manager, he’s going to have to start understanding the importance of the defensive side of the game as well. Coming across as very naive at the moment. This is what he said last night:

Swansea head coach Luke Williams on S4C:

"It was a horrible night for us.

"I apologised to the players as I tried to set up the team to cause a problem for the opposition. Because it's a cup game we have to find a way to win the game.

"I got the balance wrong, too many players in advanced positions and in the turnover too few players to stem the attack and the opposition were very good.

"It was very difficult to get near their goal and in the second half we tried to limit the damage because the scoreline was too heavy. We were playing against an outstanding team."
    The game was watched by the board with Nathan Jones sat with them... Is this Swansea's Kewell moment? Spend a chunk on compensation and then move on almost immediately?

"I got the balance wrong, too many players in advanced positions and in the turnover too few players to stem the attack and the opposition were very good."
    To be honest I have no sympathy for him at all. The things he got wrong are the things he constantly got wrong with us and he never had the gumption to set up accordingly against a Premiership side that is playing well. He got the game mixed up, should have held them in the first and attacked in the second if he wanted to win it and not take them back to their place. There are games when you just cannot attack all the time.

Just watched the highlight, jeeeeeeeeez it was like watching Notts defend! Loads of players not tracked and left in loads of space. It was so easy for Bournemouth. Swansea fans saying they need 4 at the back not 3, sounds familiar.

Williams is an intelligent guy so he will have learned lessons. However, there is one commodity that he may lack to come back from this: time. If he's still at Swansea by season's end, I'll be amazed. And suppose our 'experiment' with Maynard goes wrong, would we want LW back?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Williams is an intelligent guy so he will have learned lessons. However, there is one commodity that he may lack to come back from this: time. If he's still at Swansea by season's end, I'll be amazed. And suppose our 'experiment' with Maynard goes wrong, would we want LW back?
    Why would he come back? Already gave the excuse about closer to home

The thing is sidders he hasn't learnt. He is now doing at Swansea the same thing that cost us so many cheap goals at Notts..

He did come across as intelligent, thoughtful and well spoken…he certainly had charisma as well….which makes it even stranger why he didn’t sort our defensive problems out. Never mind if it was the system or individual players, he didn’t seem to do anything different at all. He played the same players in the same system, maybe changing Brindley for Rawlo every now then.

I hold no Ill feeling towards Luke, quite the opposite actually, but it was starting to come across as stubborn, if not blind, to see that something needed to change. His start at Swansea suggests he’s going to continue in the same vain….and for that reason, if he is sacked by Swansea, I don’t think we should have him back.

Like I've said before, this idea of leaving a club where you are successful to take another job closer to home and family all sounds very good until you fail at the new job and end up getting sacked. I don't wish that on Luke by any means but he's not made a great start and football fans are an unforgiving bunch

By reading some of the comments from Swansea fans it sounds like their anger is aimed more at the owners than anywhere else at present.

Appears they are a bit of a mess off the field. Makes the move by LW an even bigger gamble.

Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast