+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Official All Things Wakefield Trinity Thread And Others 2024 Season

O/T Official All Things Wakefield Trinity Thread And Others 2024 Season

This may well be a thread that only attracts small interest on this board but both myself and Chop are very keen Trinity fans plus X11 Barnsley who contributes to the Prediction League .

However there may be some casual interest from non Rugby League fans because the 2024 Season is the beginning of story that may attract wider appeal and has a Barnsley connection .

New Trinity owner Matt Ellis is a South Kirby lad and has made his fortune in the kitchen business , in Rugby League terms he's proper minted and more importantly he's investing huge sums of money that hopefully will take Wakefield Trinity to the very top of Rugby League , a place the club haven't seen since the late 60's .

Do I care that Wakefield Trinity have a sugar daddy and are splashing the cash to achieve success ? , absolutely not .

I'll tell you why , the Trinity faithful deserve this , we haven't so much as competed in a Challenge Cup Final since 1979 , haven't won it since 1963 and haven't won the league since 1968 .

So what you might say , nobody has a given right to win anything and that's true but Wakefield Trinity are well overdue some real success and Wakefield are a proper club well capable of competing at the top with the fan base to back it up .

We begin life under Matt Ellis and new Head Coach Daryl Powell in the championship following our relegation from Super League last season , nearly £2m has already got invested in to the squad this winter , in Rugby League terms and championship terms this is phenomenal money .

The fans have backed the club with record ST sales , unheard of in Rugby League when a club is relegated from Super League .

We play Super League champions Wigan Warriors this Friday night in a pre season friendly which is also long serving Matty Ashurst's testimonial .

I'll be there , I've even attracted a couple of new fans who will be tagging along with me on Friday Night and attracted by what's happened at the club these last few months .

Animal, is he the DIY ******** of South Kirby owner?

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Animal, is he the DIY ******** of South Kirby owner?
    Yes I believe he is Ethel .

Yes he is Ethel.

Also just to add to Animals introduction of Matt Ellis.

It all started back in 1999 when Wakefield Trinity played a few rugby league games at Oakwell Stadium and he went along to watch a game and fell in love with Rugby League and more importantly with Wakefield Trinity.

Even before he completed the takeover in early October he had already spent some serious money on sponsoring the club including player sponsorship.

Little bit different to the consortium running Barnsley FC but investing little into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    Even before he completed the takeover in early October he had already spent some serious money on sponsoring the club including player sponsorship.

Little bit different to the consortium running Barnsley FC but investing little into it.
    The squad is starting to look pretty formidable for the challenge ahead Chop .

The signings of Jermaine McGillvary from Huddersfield , 207 Super League tries for the Giants , Iain Thornley from Wigan who has won everything with the Warriors and Championship player of the year Lachlan Walmsley from Halifax .

The nucleus of last season's squad with the addition of the young talent the club's recruited from Australia and New Zealand certainly provides a high quality squad .

With Daryl Powell at the helm and his vast experience we really are looking good as the season draws nearer , I think we will probably see another two or three additions before the big KO against the Bradford Bulls .

Definitely going to be a tough couple of opening games in the Bulls and then away to Fev the following Friday night , an opportunity to put a real marker down is my take Chop and start as we mean to go on .

nly Ellis I know that has South Kirby connections is Alf Ellis who owns Ultima Ki.tchings.
    Can’t be related cos the last I heard Alf had two daughters.
    Unless of course he’s had a son later in life.

I was Alfs apprentice when I was at the pit.
    I learnt a lot from Alf - and not just about being a mining electrician.
    A long story relating to the reason Alf was working at the pit.
    Alf is from Barnsley - Monk Breton, Stairfoot and then Silkstone - not South Kirby or Wakefield area.

I read a newspaper article about him a few years back - Ultima Ki.tchings at that time had an annual turnover of £50 Million.
    Fifty Million.

It would be quite a coincidence if Alf isn’t connected to the initial thread.

It was inevitable that you would know Alf and Clare Ellis Nudge but let's not hijack the thread to make it all about you.

Am going to the Wigan game next Friday Animal, East stand tickets.

Got a season ticket but really frustrating as will be away on a Far East business trip for the first few games so will miss 3 huge games, Bradford, Fev and York for sure.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast