+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic Promotion

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    What fantasy place do you all live in?

Automatic promotion depends on us winning every game between now and the end of April, with some of the hardest home and away games of he season, whilst a number our opponents in terms of playoff positions (yes, playoff positions)(Preston and WBA particularly) have to fall away. Really?
    No it doesn't WTF.What it means is you have to win more games than your rivals and not every game. All teams will lose games,but Leeds will lose less than the others,so guaranteeing Auto promo is assured..Mark my words. You should be called Hopelessly Pessimistic 😁

Not much strategy involved.

we are the best team in the championship right now. we weren't the first half of the season. Now we are and we are sitting 2nd. No one's going to win more games than us the rest of the year. we end up in automatic.

Only think that changes that is injuries. Rutter, Summerville, Ampadu, Rodon and Grey are key. They stay healthy and we get promoted.
    Last edited by spaldy; 15-02-2024 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    No it doesn't WTF.What it means is you have to win more games than your rivals and not every game. All teams will lose games,but Leeds will lose less than the others,so guaranteeing Auto promo is assured..Mark my words. You should be called Hopelessly Pessimistic 😁
    Perhaps irredeemably would be better than hopelessly ….

Ok, so acknowledging that we have a very remarkable record of wins in all competitions, and we sit (variously) in second or third in the table, I ask, genuinely and respecting all opinions, do we want to be promoted?

By "we" I mean the fans, the supporters etc. as opposed to the ones who would earn most from such a promotion, the players, the folks in the comfy seats and exec boxes? If promoted, we would be subject to the obscenity that is VAR, and unless a vast amount was to be spent on both playing staff and ground we would be A. ashamed of bringing supporters from the likes of Spurs, Spam, Arsenal, Scum etc to a stadium that is more reminiscent of a ground from the 1960s than the 21st century and B, spanked by every club in the current PL Including Bumley) because we simply DON'T have adequate numbers of real PL quality players (watch Wolves v Spurs, Chelski v Schitty, Fulham v Villa, Forest v Spam, the losing sides would walk all over us.

So, do we really want to be promoted?

No it doesn't WTF.What it means is you have to win more games than your rivals and not every game. All teams will lose games,but Leeds will lose less than the others,so guaranteeing Auto promo is assured..Mark my words. You should be called Hopelessly Pessimistic ��
    We agree to disagree. We win every game, auto promotion is guaranteed, because as you say, others will lose occasionally (as per the most recent Leicester and previous Southampton results show), but are we any more likely to win every game? Methinks not, Friday will show.

And all this ignores the question..."Do we (the fans/supporters) want LUFC to be promoted"? In principle, always, but bearing in mind where would be, is it that desireable?

Caught between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes, promotion brings much more exposure and money, money to spend on a few better players, the ability to lure those players here as a premier side, on the other hand stay in the championship and lose our best players, having to rebuild to aim for what, no ambition to better ourselves, I don’t want us to be embarrassed like others have been and are doing but to stay in the championship I don’t want much of, there has to be an end product and something to aim for, otherwise it’s all pointless.

This team, as is, can compete in the prem.

MB’s promotion team could not and we had to go all out in the transfer market. We paid dearly for it.

We have prem ready players in Rutter, Meslier, Ampadu, Gnonto,Summerville, Kamara, Gray, Rodon, Gruev, James, Strujik and dare I say it, Firpo

If we don’t get promoted we’ll lose most of these players. Not a pleasant reality

I guess it depends on why anyone chooses to play or watch football: whether you view it as a simple game to be enjoyed or as some form of metaphor for life in which your esteem and perceived self-worth is tied to “your” eleven players pitting their tactical nous and skills against others doing the same.

Shallow, deep or, more likely, a weird mixture of both depending on which way the wind happens to be blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Ok, so acknowledging that we have a very remarkable record of wins in all competitions, and we sit (variously) in second or third in the table, I ask, genuinely and respecting all opinions, do we want to be promoted?

By "we" I mean the fans, the supporters etc. as opposed to the ones who would earn most from such a promotion, the players, the folks in the comfy seats and exec boxes? If promoted, we would be subject to the obscenity that is VAR, and unless a vast amount was to be spent on both playing staff and ground we would be A. ashamed of bringing supporters from the likes of Spurs, Spam, Arsenal, Scum etc to a stadium that is more reminiscent of a ground from the 1960s than the 21st century and B, spanked by every club in the current PL Including Bumley) because we simply DON'T have adequate numbers of real PL quality players (watch Wolves v Spurs, Chelski v Schitty, Fulham v Villa, Forest v Spam, the losing sides would walk all over us.

So, do we really want to be promoted?
    Good question,I'm looking forward to the championship, no bias towards small teams,no VAR,no biased reffing. Level playing field ,plenty of Derby games and I'm not just saying that because we are going down..
    Good luck to you lads when you are promoted,I'm sure you will stay up with a few additional players to your squad.

Good question,I'm looking forward to the championship, no bias towards small teams,no VAR,no biased reffing. Level playing field ,plenty of Derby games and I'm not just saying that because we are going down..
    Good luck to you lads when you are promoted,I'm sure you will stay up with a few additional players to your squad.

It is a good and honest question by WTF, the gulf is massive as we all know, we’ve been where Burnley are right now, I honestly hope they make it and 3 other teams drop.
    Always a but!…

…..but, we have to give it a go no matter what, that’s what makes this league so good in getting promoted. I’m old and have seen much in my LUFC life, (as many on here) but what about our young fans…our future, I (we’ve) been there, is there a better feeling football wise? I know all about the disappointments yes but we get over them…We must try and get promoted and cross the next bridges when we get to them. This is why we are all here.

Alf and his Burnley mates will be just like us this time next year if they are in our position right now, guaranteed

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)