+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Next manager

Quote Originally Posted by cdt78 View Post
    This is a good read and if he gets anywhere near his current win percentage in the next couple of years, it would be great (compared to where we have been recently).

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/he...alysis-tactics
    I saw that last week and you are right it is a good read.

My worry is that there is next to no one in the squad that would be capable of playing in that system.You wouldn’t be able to have the likes of Nicky Devlin and Jack MacKenzie playing in our defence that way without getting ripped to pieces every week.

We would basically have to bring in an entire new starting 11 this summer and be able to get all of our top targets,if we end up getting plan c signings like Jensen and McGarry types then it’s going to be a struggle.

I agree with others that it would take time to implement his style into the team but he should still be able to get 4th as a minimum next season.If we are getting beat by a bunch of hammer throwing teams on a regular basis then he’s going to be under pressure like every other Aberdeen manager has been unfortunately.

4th as minimum for his first season with this lot or new signings?
    I’d be happy with top 6 in his first season.

But you’re right re fans. He’ll carry the can for the rest of the morass behind him.
    This report better be heeded.

Hasn’t helped that as well as the revolving ethos (challenger brand crap, ‘entertaining’ football diktat, data led recruitment etc) we’ve had a revolving door for heads of recruitment.

Don’t know that we can put that on club (unless meddling etc has influenced their decisions to move on) but it hasn’t helped.

Robson, especially as a rookie, should have had more support and never been allowed to accumulate such an unbalanced squad. That should never have been allowed - and that’s on more than Robson.

Glad to hear that if it is Thelin that he will be bringing his own staff with him.

As ever all moot if Cormack doesn’t sort out the organisation behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles9 View Post
    4th as minimum for his first season with this lot or new signings?
    I’d be happy with top 6 in his first season.

But you’re right re fans. He’ll carry the can for the rest of the morass behind him.
    This report better be heeded.

Hasn’t helped that as well as the revolving ethos (challenger brand crap, ‘entertaining’ football diktat, data led recruitment etc) we’ve had a revolving door for heads of recruitment.

Don’t know that we can put that on club (unless meddling etc has influenced their decisions to move on) but it hasn’t helped.

Robson, especially as a rookie, should have had more support and never been allowed to accumulate such an unbalanced squad. That should never have been allowed - and that’s on more than Robson.

Glad to hear that if it is Thelin that he will be bringing his own staff with him.

As ever all moot if Cormack doesn’t sort out the organisation behind him.
    Do we honestly think Robson had much of a say as to who we brought in?

I'm not sure any of Cormacks appointments have had much say in the players brought into the club.

Hopefully JT has more influence on the signing front.

I think if he’s the messiah he’s being made out to be on other social media sites then he should be more than capable of finishing 4th in a poor SPFL league.

I did say before that Thelin is going to need to be backed financially more than any other Aberdeen manager has in the past if it’s going to work. We will probably have to be bringing in players for a lot more than the £400-500k we have been spending in the last few seasons.

Maybe that’s what the delay is in him moving here, hopefully he is clever enough to want all of these guarantees before he agrees to sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I saw that last week and you are right it is a good read.

My worry is that there is next to no one in the squad that would be capable of playing in that system.You wouldn’t be able to have the likes of Nicky Devlin and Jack MacKenzie playing in our defence that way without getting ripped to pieces every week.
    Ah can agree ... partially.

... and yet, Ah've watched games, this season and last, where current personnel have demonstrated they at least have it in them to play the system described ... in supportive/shifting triangles ... moving the ball cleverly in the right direction, opening up space to move into, thereby creating opportunities.

The problem is ... if you don't push forward quick enough .... you have a ten man defence behind the ball .. with the nearest opposition player closing down the position of the ball .. or ball player. ..... So nae space nor time tae produce attractive attackin fitba!

If there's any merit in Thelin's approach, it is about movin' forward quickly from the mid ... and nae wastin' time and allowin defences tae settle by playin sideways and backwards passes in oor ain half.

'Heid - first" might nae be the wisest o' tactical buzzwords, but it beats 'hoof-baa' as well as the frustratin' spectacle o' Roos passoot tae a full back .. fa then passes tae a centre back ... fa passes tae ... blah blah ... only for the baa bein passed back tae Roos ... fa boots it up the field .... whereas if he had jist booted it up the field in the first place, the opposition might still hae been rinnin/facin' the wrang wye.

An alert defence able tae trust a midfield tae dae their ain jobs - creatin goal opportunities rether than helpin the defence - instead supportin the forwards seems tae me a sound approach.

We've complained a lot ower the past couple o' years ( and mair) o' haein too many mids ... and maybe we're right.

Hopefully JT will favour quality ower quantity in that aspect and we can move on fae the current "right ... we've got the baa ... fit div we dae noo?" scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Ah can agree ... partially.

... and yet, Ah've watched games, this season and last, where current personnel have demonstrated they at least have it in them to play the system described ... in supportive/shifting triangles ... moving the ball cleverly in the right direction, opening up space to move into, thereby creating opportunities.

The problem is ... if you don't push forward quick enough .... you have a ten man defence behind the ball .. with the nearest opposition player closing down the position of the ball .. or ball player. ..... So nae space nor time tae produce attractive attackin fitba!

If there's any merit in Thelin's approach, it is about movin' forward quickly from the mid ... and nae wastin' time and allowin defences tae settle by playin sideways and backwards passes in oor ain half.

'Heid - first" might nae be the wisest o' tactical buzzwords, but it beats 'hoof-baa' as well as the frustratin' spectacle o' Roos passoot tae a full back .. fa then passes tae a centre back ... fa passes tae ... blah blah ... only for the baa bein passed back tae Roos ... fa boots it up the field .... whereas if he had jist booted it up the field in the first place, the opposition might still hae been rinnin/facin' the wrang wye.

An alert defence able tae trust a midfield tae dae their ain jobs - creatin goal opportunities rether than helpin the defence - instead supportin the forwards seems tae me a sound approach.

We've complained a lot ower the past couple o' years ( and mair) o' haein too many mids ... and maybe we're right.

Hopefully JT will favour quality ower quantity in that aspect and we can move on fae the current "right ... we've got the baa ... fit div we dae noo?" scenarios.
    If he sorts the defence out first he should be good. Easily our weakest area and drags other areas of the team down trying to cover for how poor it is.

How also needs to get up to speed with the Scottish game quickly.

As posted by others, if he underestimates the so called 'diddy teams' in our league and suffers a few early defeats early into the season, the pressure will build quickly.

We probably won't have the sideshow of Europe to worry about, so won't have to worry about tiredness for the first few months.

Quote Originally Posted by donanddusted View Post
    yes, a turnip for the books, eh?

do you need a manager? Relegation is heading your way

On twitter... Elfsborg press conference at 1 today apparently

Confirmed now on club website!

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast