+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Player ratings v Barrow

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire_Pie View Post
    I think we are all saying the same thing that a yellow card didn't fell like sufficient punishment and it spoils the excitement of the game.

Orange card maybe with 10 mins in the sin bin like Rugby Union?
    I just wish changing the rules of football would stop! - the old rules were fine, just needed better refs to enforce them!

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    I agree. My view is that it’s not actually a tackle, because there’s no attempt to remove the ball from Jodi, it’s deliberately removing Jodi from the ball. If the player (and his manager) think a yellow card is worth taking to stop a dangerous attack, it’s not enough punishment. It was much worse than shirt tugging or a mistimed tackle, it was an unsafe challenge which, if repeated enough times, would result in a serious injury. This wasn’t the perfectly timed Stubbs sliding tackle, it was something much uglier.
    It was a Sunday morning tackle by a player with a pub team attitude - to intimidate the opposition's best player
    He'd have risked getting a large right-hander on a Sunday with such an assault

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire_Pie View Post
    When I trained as a ref we were encouraged to categorise fouls as careless, reckless or made with excessive force endangering the opponent. These categories then directly related to the punishments as follows.

Careless is a free kick
    Reckless merits a yellow card
    Use of excessive force is a red card.

Afaik this method is still being used so the ref decided it was a reckless challenge and not made with excessive force. Obviously this is opinion but to me it was a deliberate trip not a scything down at the knee so I reckon he just about got it right. Barrow decided to sub the offender pretty quickly so they knew it must have been close.

It wasn't denying a goal scoring opportunity as two Barrow defenders were between the ball and goal.

For what its worth imo this was the worst ref we've had at the Lane this season. The Barrow no. 8 twice ran in from distance to confront Notts players and wasn't even spoken too. Each of these should have been a mandatory yellow otherwise you're not controlling the game. He was constantly being distracted by players and didn't seem to use his assistants very well often seeming at odds with them over direction of throw ins.

Would be interesting to see what the assessor made of his performance.
    Didn’t the ‘tackle’ count as ‘serious foul play’ and if not what does?!

I’m glad we’re still talking about this because it really annoyed me, partly because of the way he ran at full tilt with premeditation to not only trip Jones, but really scythe him down, and also because of Jodi’s injury record. I’m surprised the Notts lads could stop themselves from sticking one on him.

I’ve not had too many issues with refs this season(the Wrexham one excepted) but the bloke on Saturday was terrible, his seventh EFL game apparently and it showed.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY. A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
    Did the tackle meet any of those critera? Yes, the tackle taking away JJ's standing leg (and followed through on the other) endangered the opponent. JJ could have fell and seriously injured himself. The fact that the ball was nowhere near JJ when he was tackled also adds to the crime, the tackle was excessive in that situation. Red card...for the ref!!!
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 30-01-2024 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Didn’t the ‘tackle’ count as ‘serious foul play’ and if not what does?!
    That's the bit I don't get, some people seem to be seeing this as a 'tackle'. It wasn't a tackle, it was never intended to be a tackle because there was zero intent or chance to win the ball. His sole intention was to kick the player to the ground. Forget covering defenders or last man, this was a deliberate kick on an opponent.

How is that anything but a red card?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's the bit I don't get, some people seem to be seeing this as a 'tackle'. It wasn't a tackle, it was never intended to be a tackle because there was zero intent or chance to win the ball. His sole intention was to kick the player to the ground. Forget covering defenders or last man, this was a deliberate kick on an opponent.

He probably forgot to bring one with him....

But not intending on playing the ball isn’t a red.

Yeah the biggest argument I’ve heard/seen for it not to be is that ‘refs don’t give those’ . I’m bemused, what other sport’s rules would someone say that about ?

I get the laws that Smiffy’s just posted are open to some interpretation, but how does someone sprinting 50 yards to chop down an opponent in full flight not apply?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Yeah the biggest argument I’ve heard/seen for it not to be is that ‘refs don’t give those’ . I’m bemused, what other sport’s rules would someone say that about ?

I get the laws that Smiffy’s just posted are open to some interpretation, but how does someone sprinting 50 yards to chop down an opponent in full flight not apply?
    Well I think we can remove goal scoring opportunity by the letter of the law.
    Then is it seriously endangering the opponent? As I remember it he basically came from behind/slightly to the side and tripped him high on the shin?
    I think where you do see reds is where they go studs high or they fly in totally out of control at full force. I think if that foul happens to a player running out of defence with the ball not so many would be calling for a red or at least knowing it’s not going to be a red.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    But not intending on playing the ball isn’t a red.
    But deliberately kicking an opponent is a red.

Or are you saying it's within the laws of the game?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast